Who uses 3 in 1 oil these days?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Who uses 3 in 1 oil these days?

Post by Cliff »

Just curious. I have always been around 3 in 1 oil as long as I can remember. My father had it on hand in his shop and we used for gun oil and tool oil and so on. I did a search on the "net" and found the 3 and 1 stood for it's uses. Metal, Wood and Leather. Didn't know that after 65 plus years. Always like the smell of the stuff and neve had any problems using it. Just wondering. Have a good weekend. ATB
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who uses 3 in 1 oil these days?

Post by JerryB »

I'm 74 years old, when my dad said it was time to clean the guns after a hunt out came the 3 in one oil. I used it for years, didn't know it is still for sale.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

As a child I remember my mother using it on her tredel (did I spell that right?) Singer sewing machine. My dad would come in and have to hunt for that oil when he was in need of it. It has been around for as long as I can remember and that is some time now :lol:
I don't recal my dad ever using it on weapons, but it was in his shop always, unless mom had it. Flash forward to this century, and there's a can of that same oil in my shop too! That oil has been a staple for many I suppose...me included. And yes, it is still made here in the U.S.

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

3 in 1 oil has been a staple in our family ever since I can remember. I don't use it for guns, but it has many household uses where a light oil is needed, especially for the wife's sewing machine.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

love 3 in 1 oil use it on my sewing machines in my saddle shop but don't use it on leather it will rot it. on leather use 100% neet's foot oil or virgin olive oil. i also use a lot of lilly stiching oil with my sewing machines to lube the thread. i also use 3 in 1 on my oil stones for sharpening my knives.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Three in one was invented by G W Cole in 1894. It came in bottles with his name embosssed on them until it became the "Three In One Oil Co" around 1905. There were at least two sizes, but the originals by Cole came in the size shown. It was very popular, if the large number we dig is an indicator. I don't bother washing them, just sell 'em as-is for a couple bucks. :)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Interestingly, I just oiled up my Hi LIft jack. I use only 3 in 1 on it. Have since I bought it in '83. There are all sorts of "modern" lubricants, but good ole 3 in 1 still works just dandy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Always have used it on pocket knives and oil stones.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Don’t think it is advisable to use 3-in-1 on wood or leather.

From the 3 in 1 oil FAQ home page:

“What is 3-IN-ONE® Oil?
3-IN-ONE is a specially formulated lubricating, penetrating, and cleaning oil. 3-IN-ONE's unique set of ingredients enable it to lubricate as well as protect metal surfaces. 3-IN-ONE Oil's easy-to-use drip spout allows you to apply the product right where it's needed most
“What does the name stand for?
3-IN-ONE was developed in 1894 for use on bicycles. The inventor, George Cole, was hoping to create a product that would lubricate, clean and prevent rust. Those three functions in one product led to the name.
(Italics added: rcN)

Read call ‘bout it:
http://www.3inone.com/faqs/#a48

And from Wikipedia:

“3-in-One Oil is a general-purpose lubricating oil sold in small cans and squeezable containers for household and do-it-yourself use. It was originally formulated in 1894. Its name, given by the inventor George W. Cole of New Jersey, derives from the product's triple ability to "clean, lubricate and protect," originally for use on bicycles. The formula consists of pale spindle oil with a small amount of corrosion inhibitor and citronella oil (which gives the product its distinctive sharp odor). It remains a popular lubricant for bicycle chains”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-In-One_Oil
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Seems to me I've read not to use 3 in 1 oil on guns. Believe they said it would get either 'gummy' or 'cake-up' over time thereby increasing the effort needed to work gun's action.

Someone here will come along with a more accurate version of what I'm trying to convey.

Don
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

If using oil as apreservative on firearms, it is best to apply a very light film. Too heavy a coat of oil and it will drip/soak into the wood. Oil causes wood to become soft and loose it strength as well as darken it. Same thing from what I have seen on leather.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought a new can only the other day.
When I worked for Westley Richards I had an old pellet tin full of 3 in 1 oil on my bench, the level kept going down overnight and then I found out that Mice were drinking it! :shock:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I have not used it in ages. Iver Johnson used to recommend it for their guns, and it appears that 3 in One did, too:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =276133179
Though tattered,it comes with the original box( bottom portion of box is in a couple pieces) and papers which includes an ad and cleaning instructions from the Original 3-in-1 Oil Company.

They used to advertise that it is good for wood, too:
1916 Vintage Advertising Illustration 1910s 3 In 1 Oil resized.jpg
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I always have some of it in the house somewhere. I have found it very good for removing surface rust on firearms. Works good for general cleaning of the outside of guns. I don't use it much for lubing because I find it dries and leaves a residue with time.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Let me throw my hand up. Mostly I use it on my hot water heater pump...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ranger wrote:As a child I remember my mother using it on her tredel (did I spell that right?) Singer sewing machine. My dad would come in and have to hunt for that oil when he was in need of it. It has been around for as long as I can remember and that is some time now :lol:
I don't recal my dad ever using it on weapons, but it was in his shop always, unless mom had it. Flash forward to this century, and there's a can of that same oil in my shop too! That oil has been a staple for many I suppose...me included. And yes, it is still made here in the U.S.

Wade
Wade,
That's "treadle" as in Singer treadle sewing machine. Zoom zoom.
Mike D. wrote:Three in one was invented by G W Cole in 1894. It came in bottles with his name embosssed on them until it became the "Three In One Oil Co" around 1905. There were at least two sizes, but the originals by Cole came in the size shown. It was very popular, if the large number we dig is an indicator. I don't bother washing them, just sell 'em as-is for a couple bucks. :)

Mike,
Next time you find a pair like that give me a holler. I'd like to have a set for my collection of things.

Mom used to have 3-IN-1 oil around all the time. I've rarely used it since I have so much other oils to use.

For guns I use mostly Marvel oil or Industrial PCL.

For sewing machines I use sewing machine oil.

For other things I use what's handy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894c

Post by 1894c »

they still make that oil...totally forgot about it... :)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've used it on bikes and electric motors only. Dad told me not to use it on guns as it would gum up.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I quit using 3 in 1 after I tested it and found out how poor a gun oil it really is. CLP is my choice nbow as a rust preventitive and general gun oil. That said in the old days we used a lot of it and Grandma used it on the treadle sewing machine also. I still have a can of it in the old machine.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I remember gramps always having 3-in-1 oil around. Also always had Cloverine Salve, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Smith Brother's Cough Drops, and hoarhound (sp?) candy.
Yep, I'm an old feller.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I use it once I've cleaned a bore to swab a very fine layer of 3-in-1 inside the bore. I use Conservator's Wax on the externals.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I am another who uses it mostly for my pocket knives.

Kevin
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I still do for a lot of items ...............Mutt
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

when I worked at another printing company, I used 3in1 oil on the acme stitching heads on a mccain stitcher. I used the 20 weight. After dissambly and cleaning of heads, used this oil sparingly upon assembly, and daily oiling. Worked great and the pullup applicator was perfect size. Head worked great till the buildup of metal"dust" from the stitching wire forced me to do another clean and rebuild. The new bottles are made of plastic and has a cap that you pull on and off. Hate that, like the old style metal cans version.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

game keeper wrote:I bought a new can only the other day.
When I worked for Westley Richards I had an old pellet tin full of 3 in 1 oil on my bench, the level kept going down overnight and then I found out that Mice were drinking it! :shock:
Do you suppose it improved their "regularity?" :roll:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I use 0-20W Amsoil (since the red/white 3 in 1 is 10W) but not on my guns.

Found that 1 qt used in my 2 good ole brass spout pump cans last about 3-5 years for lubing stuff in general.
Dont have to be Amsoil (just like that brand) :wink:

For the guns----myself ? ----I have found what works best for me is Rem Oil on inside stuff/guts,and wiped down Lemon Pledge for outside stuff.(does the wood at same time) :lol:
Plus the guns smell nice.(my hunting gun during deer or whatever season use the unscented Pledge wiped extra good.)

That stuff is amazing (bought an extra 28" modified 12ga vent rib barrel once for my Ithaca 37's)had some surface rusting and the barrel inside was not looking too great(got to realize couldn,t resist it was like $10 or $15)and I like a challenge. :lol:

Took a can of Lemon Pledge and totally foamed up the entire barrel in/out and then wrapped it up in plastic wrap.
Let it set on top of a cabinet in my workshop for 3 months,unwrapped it wiped it down and that thing looked like new.
Thought if it will do that-----------------then????????/
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Washita wrote:
Don't know about that but It stopped them squeaking. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Stopped using it and WD40 years ago. Modern synthetic based oils like CLP or Mobile 1 do everything 3 in 1 and WD40 did but better in my view.

I'm sure it works, but there are alternatives that are better today. S'all I'm sayin'. If you love the stuff enjoy it!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Ther's been a can of that stuff in my mother-in-law's pantry for 40 years. Probalby the same can, too. lol
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:
Washita wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

dennie wrote:I remember gramps always having 3-in-1 oil around. Also always had Cloverine Salve, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Smith Brother's Cough Drops, and hoarhound (sp?) candy.
Yep, I'm an old feller.
dennie
I still have 3-in-1 oil in the shop and the wife's sewing area, can remember it weren't all that long ago that Carter's Liver Pills, Smith Brother's Cough Drops and Cod Liver Oil were the basis of gettin' rid of whatever ailed ya! But I prefer Corn Husker's lotion! And I ain't that old... yet!

Although I tend to use more WD40 than 3-in-1 nowadays.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use 3-n-1 and Ed's Red on my guns, and 10w30 on my reloading dies. I also use 3-n-1 as a solvent for alox.

rimrock
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:
dennie wrote:I remember gramps always having 3-in-1 oil around. Also always had Cloverine Salve, Carter's Little Liver Pills, Smith Brother's Cough Drops, and hoarhound (sp?) candy.
Yep, I'm an old feller.
dennie
I still have 3-in-1 oil in the shop and the wife's sewing area, can remember it weren't all that long ago that Carter's Liver Pills, Smith Brother's Cough Drops and Cod Liver Oil were the basis of gettin' rid of whatever ailed ya! But I prefer Corn Husker's lotion! And I ain't that old... yet!

Although I tend to use more WD40 than 3-in-1 nowadays.
I saw an ad not that long ago for Smith Brother's. Maybe someone has bought the name.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

game keeper wrote:
Washita wrote:
wow...that's bad... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Borregos wrote:
game keeper wrote:
Washita wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As it happens I used some last night on an air gun!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I always have a can on the bench. The smell of it (and Hoppe's #9) brings back fond memories.
Not that I just smell it.
I use it too.
Honest.
Really I mean it.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have always been around it also and still have several cans around that are tin......and one that is plastic.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Grandpa used it. When his Browning .22 Auto finally made it's way to me, after several years of non-use, the oil had turned to a white, hard gunk. So, like WD, it's a good idea to wipe off after putting it on. (WD40 and 3-1 are the same company now)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I use a generous amount on my hair clipper blades before giving myself a free haircut. No gumming up.

I used to use it for sharpening the knives, with an oilstone. Now I use saliva, a little more readily available, and doesn't clog the pores of the stone.

For bike chains I have switched to whatever brand leaves a dry lubricant behind like graphite or teflon.

For guns I use Prolix (which also leaves a lubricant behind).

For things that squeak around the house I use Hoppe's because I have it around. It's a little thicker than 3 in 1 so I like it better.

I use 3 in 1 at work to oil my lensometer which has some heavy gears. I bet it would be better to switch to Hoppe's for that as well.

I don't see evidence of 3 in one gumming up, when I go inside my lensometer, it's just a little thin for heavy parts. Probably a little thin for guns too.

Egg spurts have said not to use too light an oil on bicycles, because it stops lubricating and then just attracts dirt. The stuff I use evaporates and leaves dry lubricant behind.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

El Chivo, I've also heard bike guys recommend against using 3 in 1 oil, mostly because it attracts dirt. If it were the only thing available, I'd use it on my guns. I had a blue revolver that I left in the tent while I hiked for miles over the tundra. I neglected to bring a good belt holster with me, and I was carrying a load anyway so I left it behind. When I got back, it had a brown sheen all over it from the dew that had condensed on it since the tent door and flap were wide open. I didn't have any kind of oil or lube along, so when we got back to the truck I pulled the dipstick and scavenged a little 10W-30 oil to wipe the gun down. I don't even remember if we had any extra quarts of oil along on that trip.
DougB
Levergunner

Post by DougB »

I have a can of 3 and 1 both on my shop workbench as well as my reloading bench. A drop behind each ear works almost as good as Hoppe's #9 when I run out!

:D
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Use it all the time on the worm drive gear for my garage door opener, does not coagulate at -10'F.
Dingelfutz
Levergunner

Post by Dingelfutz »

My grandparents, too! My "Gram" used 3-in-One a lot, including in her old Singer "treddle" machine and also when SHE cleaned the farm scattergun. (Quite the lady, that one!) Yep! I'm old, too!