.406 hard cast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

.406 hard cast

Post by Mike D. »

Could someone please find me some hard cast .406s for my starving .40-82? Hawk is getting ready to run their 245 jacketed again and some of them should be arriving in a couple of weeks. I want bullets that can run at 1800-2000+FPS so no softies.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: .406 hard cast

Post by Mike D. »

Found 'em! Buffalo Arms makes a great .406 HC 288 gr bullet, so I ordered a hundred to play with. I'll start out at around 1500 FPS and see how they react at velocities up to 2000+. Hawk just received their jacket material and will soon begin production of their 235 gr .406s. I can't wait! :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mike Montana bullet works has a couple. danny
http://montanabulletworks.com/BB_40_caliber.html
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yes they do, Danny, but they are too soft to be pushed beyond 1400 FPS. I spoke with them and they told me that their bullets had only a BN hardness of 15 and were lubed for BP use. My gun has a nickel steel barrel made for HV smokeless.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ok Mike, I was reading their header about GC and Lubes guess these were strictly for BP guns. danny
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I thought that I ordered .406s from Buffalo, but ended up with .408 Hard Cast. I did make a dummy round and it chambered tight, but made it. I loaded 5 rds using 42 grains IMR 3031 as a first test and hope to try them out today. I also made up 4 different loads for my 7mm Mauser, all with the Barnes 120 TTSX. Those will be chronographed, too. Hopefully, results will follow. Off to infernal chemo first thing this morning. :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Back when I had a 40-65 and a 40-82 I used the Lyman plain base 260 grain mold with aircooled wheelweights and had very decent results in the 40-65 at about 1600FPS . However the 40-82 didn't seem to like them quite as much . I sized mine at .408" as well . The guy I got the 40-82 from threw in a mold from Mountain Molds he had them cut , it was GC also . I never did try any of them selling the mold to someone else .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

As it turns out, due to the past days of steady rain, the range is too mucky to get to. It will need a few days of drying out before it can be easily accessed. It is in a low point and the water sits on top of the clay. No fun to walk on or drive across. Saturday promises another storm, so things don't look too good for this week, darn it. :(