How Powerful is a .44 special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

How Powerful is a .44 special?

Post by kmittleman »

Hi Guys,

I've been reading some interesting threads here on the .44 special. And I checked a nice Ruger BH Flattop the other day - felt great in my hand. My question is, what's the biggest game it can take? I already have dies for .44 mag / .44 special, so the idea is intriguing.
-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Re: How Powerful is a .44 special?

Post by 336A »

With the Keith load (17.0gr of 2400 & Lyman 429421 or RCBS equivalent) which the Ruger will easily handle, it will reliably take elk sized game. Btw here is some good reading material for you
http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

It can take anything you care to hunt in North America with the right loads in the right gun. With that being said, it wouldn't be my first choice on Grizzlies, or perhaps even Moose, but I'm sure even on those gigantic animals it would get the job done with a well placed shot. Shot placement is key no matter the cartridge. I would be comfortable hunting most anything on the continent if armed with stout .44 Sp ammo.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

In a strong gun like the ruger you can load a 240 gr up to about 1,200 fps with elmers old load. I own the gun you looked at plus another 6 in .44 special, 4 smiths and 2 colts.

jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

In the early 80's while at the police range in Ft. Collins,CO. The local armored car company was testing a sample of the new "bullet-proof glass for it's vehicles. A sample was set up a 25 yards.
Using a 255 gr, Keith hard cast hot load out of a S&W mod.24, I put a round clean through.
To the dismayed glass rep, I said,"I don't think this is gonna work.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jens5 wrote:In the early 80's while at the police range in Ft. Collins,CO. The local armored car company was testing a sample of the new "bullet-proof glass for it's vehicles. A sample was set up a 25 yards.
Using a 255 gr, Keith hard cast hot load out of a S&W mod.24, I put a round clean through.
To the dismayed glass rep, I said,"I don't think this is gonna work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It would seem to be a little bit lacking. I wonder what it was designed to resist?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

great cartridge and a really good SA...if I was to do it all over that would be my choice...but for now i'll stick with the .357... :)