Which one do you like in a semiauto pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Which one do you like in a semiauto pistol

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok guys, this should open some lively discussions. Not talking wheel guns here. That is a whole other topic. We are talking about a defense, personal protection semi auto. Which caliber? 9, 40, 45, 10mm, .357 sig??? And why?

Which platform???

Colt
Sig
Glock
FN
Springfield
Limber
Wilson
Baer
Kel tech
Other?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DBCinID
Levergunner

Re: Which one do you like in a semiauto pistol

Post by DBCinID »

I'll jump in here. I like my S & W 1911 stainless. I like the 1911 model because it is all metal and all American. I like the 45 because it is fun to shoot and in case of self defense it packs a big punch. I chose the S & W because it was the best value for me at the time I was in the market. I would have loved to have a Wilson or Baer, but more $$ than I had in my toy account. I was talking with a friend about CCW and his advice was if you put a big pistol in a holster a big pistol comes out of the holster.

That being said I would like to have a 9mm also. And a 10mm. And a 40.............

Don
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Caliber is a tough choice for me. While the 9mm can be kinda poo-poo'd it has some great advantages and will get the job done. Now back when they put the ban on high cap magazines the .45 acp made a lot of sense. If you're stuck with only 10 rounds might as well make them big. Now that the ban is gone the 9 has appeal back. IMO the .40 is somewhere in between but guys that I know that have used them over seas like them. I have little use for the .357 sig or 10mm.

Platform is a little easier not because I know what's best but I know what I've owned/fired and liked. I really like the CZ platforms, Sig is good, didn't like the glock and the Berreta 92 seems a bit big.

LK
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:Ok guys, this should open some lively discussions. Not talking wheel guns here. That is a whole other topic. We are talking about a defense, personal protection semi auto. Which caliber? 9, 40, 45, 10mm, .357 sig??? And why?

Which platform???

Colt
Sig
Glock
FN
Springfield
Kimber
Wilson
Baer
Kel tech
Other?
It's my opinion that with today's ammo, there's no effective difference for SD. The 9mm has capacity and quick follow-up shots in it's favor. The .357 Sig is the current darling of the LEO crowd, but more noise and recoil and not as easy to reload. The FBI dropped the 10mm when their agents couldn't shoot it and came up with the .40 S&W. Not bad to shoot, but no inherent advantages over the .357 Sig (virtually same in penetration tests) or .45 (well, a couple more cartridges in the mag I guess). The .45 has always been there, and most scenarios probably don't need more than 8+1 anyway. For bad times scenarios, 9mm is more common and you can carry a lot more ammo for the same weight and size as the others.

As far as platform, any Wilson, Baer, Colt, Kimber or SA will get the job done. As far as 9mm's, nothing wrong with a Sig for hi-cap or Kahr for single stack. CZ also makes some fine pistols.
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Glock 17 9mm. Simplest and most reliable auto pistol period. Loaded with +p+ it approaches .357, holds 17 rounds, and a 33rnd factory Glock magazine can be had for $40. Is a very easy to shoot pistol for men and women alike. Is very light, very user friendly, uncomplicated and very easy to shoot well. Costs half what a overcomplicated, overpriced, overweight Sig cost and you won't get crappy customer service like you will from Sig when it fails, and your Glock will not fail. 9mm is still NATO standard meaning it is available anywhere and cheap. I have purchased a G19 9mm for my daughter and will be getting one for my wife as she loves shooting them compared to my old 1911 and the sp101 I bought her.

I brought a 17 home and loaded up over 200 rnds of magtec FMJ in magazines including the 33 rounder. All I did was take it out of the box. Went down to the target in front of the house and at 25 ft proceeded to empty and reload as fast as I could pull the trigger. When I was done I could smell burning plastic. No failures and all rounds went into a paper plate. I was sold. I have 3 Glocks now and all have performed flawlessly out of the box. IMO it's the epitome of what a modern practicle auto pistol should be, simple, reliable, light and inexpensive.

There are dozens of Youtube videos of guys torturing G17's doing things like leaving a G17 in a bucket of mud for a month rinsing it off and firing it with no failures. Freezing it in a block of ice. Running over with a truck. Dropping from an airplane. The list goes on.

Ask yourself, do I want to drive an antique model T, an overpriced high maintenance German car, or a moderately priced reliable SUV that does everything the other two do, except better and less expensively. Guess which is analogous to which.

1911's are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show your enemy.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

1911 .45 auto
.400 CorBon
and the .357Sig is now in build stage.
Grew up with 1911 platform so I AM COMFORTABLE WITH IT.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My emotional choice would always be the grand 1911 pistol in 45 ACP.

Living here on the Texas/Mexico border, I put my emotions aside and bought a Glock 17 in 9mm, which is my constant companion.It is a Gen 3 with Night Sights. Reasons?

1. 9mm with good ammo is an effective round for defense.
2. Magazine capacity of 17 rounds.
3. Glocks are stone reliable.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Glock 23
40 S&W

First of all I have one with 41,000 rounds through it. It has had a new recoil spring at 16,000 and at 21,000 it got a new trigger connector, base and spring. It has never so much as hiccupped on me - with CCI Gold Dot 165 gr and more recently a few hundred Federal Premium Defense HST 165 gr.

It holds 14 rounds and is easy to conceal and shoot with few mechanical items to worry about and easy do-it-yourself maintenance.

Personally, I'd prefer a 45 ACP if they made one with a smaller grip size and 10 round capacity. The 36 fits me ok but has 6 or 7 rounds. The 21 is too big for me - grip wise.

The FBI use of force reporting and the Police Chief's Assoc. tracking shows in the last 5 years in order to end a situation police fired and hit with an average of 8 - 9mm rounds, 5.5 - 40 cal rounds and 4 - 45 ACP rounds. What this does not include is the type and weight of bullet nor the gun. It may reflect the amount of ammo on hand that can be readily fired. Nonetheless, without reading into it a 40 may take 5 or 6 rounds to terminate bad behavior where a 9mm might need 3 more rounds and a 45 could potentially get it done with just 4. I'd hedge my bets on the bigger diameter bullets.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

Kimber shooting team 45 acp
Colt double eagle 45 acp
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

alnitak wrote:...The FBI dropped the .40 when their agents couldn't shoot it.
I don't trust the Glock. Yes, I carried it for several years (by policy), it allows for great follow-up shots due to its trigger mechanism, and it is tough and reliable. It has no REAL safety like the 1911.

1911 .45 all the way for the reasons outlined above, plus its ergonomics, at least for me.

I have difficulty in understanding how the FBI, with its stringent requirements and excellent training, would have agents who cannot handle the mild recoil of the .40 in the Glock platform! What are they carrying now - .380's??

NOTE: This posting was edited, due to possible new information about the Glock. JohndeFresno
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never felt undergunned with a 1911 and 45ACP. But, then again, I never felt undergunned with a S&W K-frame and .38Spl+Ps either. It's far more the operator than the specific tool. I can certainly see where other locales and situations might call for different tools.

No help, huh? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Let me preface my opinion with I have never had to shoot at another human being. I have only read about modern gunfights and although I believe myself to be "up-to-date", technology wise, I think I'd feel very secure (all warm and fuzzy) with my RIA 1911, 45 ACP. The 1911 has been around for quite a while and has earned a reputation as a pretty good fight stopper. Big bullets that don't have to depend on "expanding nose technology" to be effective and a well proven, reliable platform.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

JohndeFresno wrote:
alnitak wrote:...The FBI dropped the .40 when their agents couldn't shoot it.
I have difficulty in understanding how the FBI, with its stringent requirements and excellent training, would have agents who cannot handle the mild recoil of the .40 in the Glock platform! What are they carrying now - .380's??
My bad...that should have said 10mm. The .40 S&W was the 10mm replacement when they couldn't shoot the 10mm.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm with Col.Jeff Cooper: You can't go wrong with a .45ACP, and the gennie "3 Pony's" brand (Colt).

My favorite flavor's a Light Weight Commander .45

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

sore shoulder,
you tube is also full of glock kabooms.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Any pistol can kaboom, even 1911s.

If you keep reloading cases in a Glock, it will happen (unsupported chamber). Rare with factory loads.

Glock 9mm. Worldwide availability. Seen a bunch of people get shot, 9mm does just as good as anything else. I currently carry a Glock .45, because I've had it for 12 years, but it will be eventually not replaced but augmented by either a Glock 19 gen 3 or a S&W M&P 9mm, which is basically an improved Glock.

John, you have my condolences, but that is a training failure, not the fault of the weapon. I've seen people have ND's with 1911s that have multiple safeties. It CAN happen.

I love the 1911, but keeping them running is nearly an armorer level task when you shoot a lot.

Both Kyle Lamb and Larry Vickers (Delta Force, Vickers was a Delta armorer) love the 1911, but neither carry one actively anymore for that exact reason.

Hilton Yam knows about as much regarding 1911s as they do (FBI HRT) and he's VERY VERY picky about just what bits go into 1911s to make them truly combat ready. Thus why mine is mostly a range queen. If it was in hand in a fight, i'd use it, but for daily use, i use a Glock.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

1911 platform in 45. I can shoot that one pretty well.
Ammunition is readily available, and not too expensive to
reload. Lots of good brands of guns out there. Pick one, test it for
reliability and carry it cocked and locked. Get a 22 conver-
sion kit for it for really cheap practice.

Hi-Power in 9mm for the same reasons as above, although I
want to try a CZ-75B. They have a good reputation as well.
Beretta holds lots of ammo, but the grip is a bit big and
the safety can be awkward. The old Ruger P85 was pretty
good for my wife, but awfully big. Lots of good platforms
out there, including the 1911 platform. Ammo is relatively
cheap and available everywhere.

10mm is a good round. Colt used to make it in the 1911
platform. Recoil ain't that bad, IMHO. Ammunition is very
expensive, although not so much for the handloader. 180gr.
bullets in 10mm are readily available. Brass is much harder
to come by. Dan Wesson supposedly makes a good pistol
in that caliber. Glock did - do they still?

40. Why, when you have a 45 or 10mm? Good round in any
number of very reliable platforms, though. As easy as the
10mm/9mm/45 to reload for.

357 SIG. Can't afford the ammunition, and I don't load
for that caliber. It has a very good reputation for self-defense
use both anecdotally and on paper, though. The SIG P226(?)
platform is said to be very reliable. Good 357 SIG bullets are
not as common or cheap as 9mm. The jacket is said to be thicker
and the ogive a little bit different than the standard 9mm bullets.
I guess the thicker jacket is because of the FBI windshield tests,
and the ogive shape is a wee bit different because of the feeding
geometry of that bottle-necked cartridge. I suppose if one found
a 9mm bullet that fed well, it would be fine for self-defense use,
even with the lighter jacket. SAAMI groove dia. is .355, the same
as the 9mm.

There ya have it - my opinons in order of preference. 8)

Your mileage may vary....

-Stretch
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mescalero wrote:sore shoulder,
you tube is also full of glock kabooms.
I guarantee all of them are .40's with an unsupported chamber, and I guarantee none of them were 9mm.

That's what Glock gets for caving into to the 10mm's weak stepsister cartridge for girls and wimps. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've personally seen Glocks that have KB's, all were .40's. Since the .40 uses the same frame as the 9mm, they basically weakened the chamber by boring it to .40. That is a major black eye for Glock.

Glock is the ONLY auto pistol that can handle real 10mm loads on a repeated basis. Real 10mm loads will batter a 1911 or Smith into scrap metal, hence why they don't make them anymore. However, that is a much larger frame than the 9mm/.40 frame.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like .45 also. My EDC is an XD 45 Compact with 10 round mag for the mall and 13 rd for the house. I have an XD9SC that is handier and a little easier to conceal. With the 10 rd mag it will hide in a boot top to be backup or primary if I can't conceal the 45. And the 16 rd mag otherwise. Right now I have my wife's LCP in the boot position. I shot it again yesterday and it's astonishing how the bullets always go where the sights are lined up. It's a hoot to shoot and with fmj fp ammo it penetrates to the same spot as the 147 gr 9mm jhp.

Never had the pleasure of shooting a Glock. I am mildly jealous of the extra capacity of the mags, but they don't conceal all that well..... "that thing, uh, I don't know what is bulging out of my shirt that way..".

When I'm in the woods I carry my 1911 in a military flap holster and don't conceal it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I carry a smaller gun, it is a Llama mini-max in 9mm.
Those Glock pics ARE scary.
Thump
Levergunner

Post by Thump »

My daily carry (even as I type this note), is a Sig 226 'Blackwater'. 9mm, 127gr. +P+, 21 rounds (with one in the pipe), night sights, accuracy, quick reset trigger, and stone cold reliable. - I love my .45 Colt, but like another said earlier - 9mm is enough, and 21 rounds are comforting.
"Thump"
Benefactor - National Rifle Association
Life Member - Safari Club International
Life Member - BullsEye Marksman Gun Club
NRA Certified: Rifle & Pistol - Instructor

"A man can never have too much red wine,
too many books, or too much ammunition."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most of my carry is mice guns....and 3/4 are wheelguns. I will carry the 1911 in the woods. I've not put enough rounds thru the LCP to call it rock solid, but word on the street is that I have chosen wisely :P I had a G36 that would stovepipe with Blazer, which is to be expected, and I wish I had that gun back.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Glock 30 (45ACP) and would buy an extra optional 13rd mag.
Note: I love the G20(10MM)and the smaller G29 (10MM) but because of possible ammo availability issues in bad times(give an edge to the .45)

It's the medium size Glock(not too big/not too small)easy to CCW and extremely quick in action and proven with the utmost reliability.
And besides it makes a huge hole!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Which caliber? 45, And why? Big bullet moving quite slow....with great knock down power

Desired platform??? Colt....
What I have,...... older S&W 4506.....very accurate and very manageable...for a heavy gun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RIHMFIRE on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

After shooting Jr's Glock I see why people like them. They are strange to get used to since I've shot S&W revolvers all my life. It still ain't a M58 Smith but his Glock 23 is pretty nifty.
Like Joe, I wish Glock made a full size single stack .45. It could easily hold 10 rounds of .45 ACP.
I guess I'd go with the .40 S&W, it comes out like holding a 13 shot .38-40.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

As much as I love my 1911s and the .45ACP, if I was to choose one for full time concealed carry it would either be a G17/XDm9 or a G22/XDm40. My hands are too big to comfortably grip and fire the compact versions of these so when I carried an XD9c, I ended up using a full size mag with a grip filler so the only benefit to the compact version was the 1/2" shorter barrel. Might as well stay with the fullsize. I really like the Glocks and the original XD series but I like the higher capacity of the XDm series. Plus those XDm's really shoot!

To me; Glock/Springfield Armory (XD) is Ford/Chevy, whichever fits you best.

No fine finish to worry about, very low maintenance, extremely reliable. As for 9mm, 40S&W, again, whichever is easiest to shoot.

As for mouse gun calibers, I would not stand in front of my 32ACP loaded with 60grXTPs for any amount of money. Even wearing a heavy coat.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mike if I had to go back into combat I would get a browning hipower P35 in 9mm, I used one in RVN for a tour and fired carbine ammo in it,one ammo for 2 different guns, with not one burp I have a preference to 9mm over 45 for combat. danny
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

XD sub-compact 9mm with night sights. Goes bang and I can shoot it well.
Having said that the next pistol is a Glock 17, for defense and as a trainer for the wife and kids.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I only own one (so far) the glock 21c in the .45 acp. Has the compensated barrel, which has less recoil than my buddies s&w in .40. Only have shot about 500 rds. through it, never missed a beat and thats with blazer with the aluminum cases too..Love the big fat bullet . great for home defense with its slower moving velocity and bigger impact area. Not knocking any other brands, but my other buddy has a sig sauer in the 9 and the 40, the slide wants to hang when it gets dirty. Maybe from improper cleaning or a weak slide spring, not sure. He doesn't like my glock, Oh well ! six one way half a dozen the other!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
1894c

Post by 1894c »

9mm, 40 S&W, or .45 ACP ... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Glocks that blew up locally seemed to be with larger calibers and reloads with powder that was too slow.

I suppose I like the 1911 and the Sig 220 or 226.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont really care much about the gun or brand as far as a carry gun goes. I want one that works & is easy to carry the way I want to carry that day. I do favor 9mms big time but thats because of ammo availability & cost and gun size/capacity. I just got a little Ruger that holds 7+1 and is small enough to forget about. Also have a Beretta 92F, its a gun alot dont seem to like but I do, it always goes bang & I can hit things with it easily. The Ruger relaced a Kel Tek that I still like but the ejector busted on me, also have a S&W model 39. Never shot a Glock but I hear good things about them. I wouldnt sweat the problems with them because I'd get a 9mm & I dont reload for semi autos so that bulge or whatever they get wont matter to me. If I start loading 9s I'll just use the Glock to get once fired brass, if I get one. :wink:
I like the 9mm for cost & availability of ammo. Its cheap & abundant. So I can shoot the guns alot & keep on top of my game. I like to shoot a gun I'm going to carry at least once a week if I can.
So I guess what I like in a semi auto pistol is a 9mm that goes bang all the time.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As a so-so shot, after I got used to the Glock trigger, it was my carry gun in the woods and used it for grouse. I considered it very accurate and could put a FMJ thru the upper chest most of the time. If I had to pick one semi-auto that I would use to shoot a pop can at 100yds on a bet, I'd pick my Ruger MKII Gubment Target, the best shooting handgun I own.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

MrMurphy wrote:Any pistol can kaboom, even 1911s.
...a training failure, not the fault of the weapon. I've seen people have ND's with 1911s that have multiple safeties. It CAN happen.

I love the 1911, but keeping them running is nearly an armorer level task when you shoot a lot.
I hear you. However, I never have trusted the "Safe Action" system. One can get a twig or other item in the trigger and still set the firearm off. As long as the pistol is holstered in a scabbard that covers the trigger area, you are safe, however.

And then there is the issue, brought out here, about the unsupported cartridge, with the .40 SW already being a high pressure round. A flawed factory loading - whether weakened brass or - ?? - has more propensity to blow up in this gun than in almost any other handgun currently manufactured.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED due to new information on what I believed was a Glock in an accidental discharge; new information seems to indicate that a Beretta was involved, so I have edited this post and an earlier post on this thread.

Now - if I shot scores of thousands of rounds, I'd use a second gun, to minimize wear on the duty gun. My 1911 has been quite reliable, and it has seen quite a few range practices. With one County agency, it was my regular carry for many years; thus the qualifications on a regular basis and many extra rounds in between to keep up my skills. Then I was forced to carry different on-duty guns with other agencies, but still shot the 1911 because it was my backup artillery, even if I had it in the trunk.

I have shot a few thousand rounds, but was not tasked with nor could I afford to shoot the buckets of rounds through it that some folks do, like rangemasters, SWAT, or whatever. But mine has been reliable with what I would deem as an above normal amount of rounds shot through it these past 40 years. Now - if I shot many thousands of rounds, I'd have another gun or two, and save my duty gun by just qualifying with it.

But perhaps some special tactical units with their highly intensive training require hours of qualification (SEALS, SWAT, etc.) and perhaps the Glock makes sense to them. Wait - the majority of LA SWAT and LA SIS and special Federal Tactical Teams and SEALS prefer 1911's - ....hmmm... :wink:
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

1911 45 acp. Lots of people love the Glock and nothing wrong with that, I just do not like the way they feel in my hand.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Every handgun known to mankind has been discharged by accident and blow up. 99.9% of the time it is human error. Firearms are as safe or unsafe those those folks who handle them.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

12 years of carrying a Glock, EVERY SINGLE TIME I holster, if possible, I look. Just in case, and just for the reason you noted.

Glocks are in use worldwide, they are about as close as you get to a universal pistol these days, it's even supplanted the Hi Power.

My father is a decorated Vietnam vet and a Gulf War vet who's been shooting for 50 years. Unfortunately he learned on 1911s and revolvers, and he has a tendency to leave his finger on the trigger at times. The occasions he shoots a Glock I watch him like a hawk just because of that.

Anyone can have one oops. Sometimes you don't get a second. I'm sorry it happened in your friends case, but....accidents happen. The gun designed as functioned.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

My first choice among large-frame pistols would be a CZ 75B, second would be one of the Springfield XD series, either one of these in 9mm.

I like the CZ 'cuz you can carry it "cocked & Locked" like a 1911. Jeff Cooper was right when he picked it over all other hi-cap 9mm's many years ago. He didn't like 9mm much, but available ammo has greatly improved since then. With 115-gr JHP's it performs very well indeed--especially if you have 16-17 of them! :D

I like the XD's better'n the Glock for 2 reasons: First, it's safer to carry due to the grip safety. IMO, the Glock's "trigger safety" is pretty much like no safety at all. What good is a safety that disengages whenever the trigger is pulled? It's like carrying a 1911 with the grip safety taped down & the thumb safety off.

And second, a bone-stock XD has a much better trigger than a Glock due to the fact that the XD is always partially cocked.

Having said all that, though I have both a Springfield XD and a CZ 75B SA, my carry gun of choice is a is Kahr CW9. It fires the same 9mm round as the others, but is much smaller and lighter. It's about the same size as an S&W J-frame and has the same manual of arms, but is more powerful and holds 8-9 rounds, vs the Smith's 5.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

OTHER! - My carry semi-auto of choice has changed in the last 18 months. An old guy, I too love the 1911 platform, however I have become a believer in the Smith & Wesson third generation DA/SA 9mm autos. Bought one a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. Love my 5903 with its stainless slide and alum. frame. Ergonomically suited to my mitt, I also find the high capacity magazines work exceedingly well. Accurate enough for me, no bobbles in many hundreds of rounds both factory and reloads, and it packs comfortably and well for cc. Safe with it's decocker and can be carried without worry of an AD when reholstering or presenting it from concealment. Just like carrying one of my first loves, the DA revolvers with which I had many, many years of experience carrying, competing and just living with, ... yet the 5903 provides an additional 9 rounds over the old wheelguns. I'm really happy with my new carry popper and don't see myself ever trading it off for any of its polymer, blocky handled competitors. And the best part, I bought it in excellent condition for a couple of hundred dollars less than any of the newer breeds.:D
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

Really, do I have to choose just one? :D

Just so happens that my favorites are born of J.M.B.'s mind.
Back when 9's were the only hi-cap bought a Browning Hi Power. Still have it, love it.
Then I bought a Para Ord frame and put me together a .45, 15 in the mag and one in the tube. Still have it love it.
For carry I move between the Browning and a compact .45 by Kimber.
Sooo, if to choose I pick the one by John Moses, slippery answer I know. :wink:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I went with the Ruger SR9C in stainless steel finish. This gun has lots of features including a real safety, is ambiodexous (sp) is very compact but still will hold 18 rounds with one in the pipe and is reliable. I have fed it all kinds of ammo and have not had a single hiccup. With an extra 17 round magazine it has plenty of firepower.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GoatGuy wrote:OTHER! - My carry semi-auto of choice has changed in the last 18 months. An old guy, I too love the 1911 platform, however I have become a believer in the Smith & Wesson third generation DA/SA 9mm autos...
I liked those SA/DA Smiths. I have carried, at different times, a 9mm and a .45 ACP version, as duty guns. Setting aside my disfavor of the 9mm caliber, they served well. As I recall, they were a little thicker than the 1911, for concealment purposes, but not much.

The only drawback to DA/SA is that you have a different grip and trigger pull for the first shot than you do for follow-ups; so you need to be aware of that and make adjustments. Due to this difference, many departments (including one I was with) eventually went with the Glock. However, in a self-defense situation at correspondingly short range, that grip difference between first and second shot does not amount to much, as long as you practice with some triple shot drills.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Caliber has been a tough choice for me. I went with 45 ACP because of stopping power, and because I'm kind of partial to the .45 caliber :wink: The disadvantage is lower magazine capacity. With 9mm one can just about double the capacity, but some are of the opinion that the 9mm is underpowered. A good compromise between the two would be the 40 S&W or the 10mm. I'm not sure about magazine capacity in the 10mm (I would think it is the same as a 40 S&W), but it's a bit more pricey than the other more common calibers.

These are all the things I considered when choosing a caliber for my recent purchase. I ended up with a Springfield 1911 because I lucked out on a heck of a deal. If that weren't the case I was trying to make up my mind between a 1911 of some sort or a Springfield XDM in 40 S&W. I'm still not sure which one I'd have picked if I hadn't stumbled across this other deal, but I'd have been happy with either.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I came to auto pistols grudgingly back in the 1980's. I have used different ones. I prefer the Glock. I am OK with the DAK version of the SIG. I have settled on the Glock 19. It gives you 16 rounds in the gun and 15 extras in one more mag. That is a lot of hurt.

The Glock is light, doesn't need a lot of love to keep running, and it sits low in your hand. That makes a big difference for fast shooting. A G19 is a virtual machine pistol.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

9mm Springfield XDm full size

9mm is adequate. It is the least expensive to buy and reload.

The XDm with the small grip insert shoots to where I point. 19 rounds per mag.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.40 Glock. what ever size makes u happy. It shoots HP's without throwing away half the gun and sending out to a smith. .40 is close enough to a .45 acp that if u are hit with 1, you won't know the difference.Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

JohndeFresno wrote:
GoatGuy wrote:OTHER! - My carry semi-auto of choice has changed in the last 18 months. An old guy, I too love the 1911 platform, however I have become a believer in the Smith & Wesson third generation DA/SA 9mm autos...
I liked those SA/DA Smiths. I have carried, at different times, a 9mm and a .45 ACP version, as duty guns. Setting aside my disfavor of the 9mm caliber, they served well. As I recall, they were a little thicker than the 1911, for concealment purposes, but not much.

The only drawback to DA/SA is that you have a different grip and trigger pull for the first shot than you do for follow-ups; so you need to be aware of that and make adjustments. Due to this difference, many departments (including one I was with) eventually went with the Glock. However, in a self-defense situation at correspondingly short range, that grip difference between first and second shot does not amount to much, as long as you practice with some triple shot drills.
Yeah, I've read that argument, originally in Col. Cooper's writings in his continuous support of the 1911 platform (I believe he referred to it as the solution to a problem that didn't exist) and then picked up by others in print and at the counters of the LGS as time went by. Saw merit in that argument at the time. However I believe the drawback is more imagined than real, if as you state, one practices with his pistol, ...and apparently it is easily overcome with said practice. I would contest that a different grip is needed for the transition, but obviously the trigger pull would be different between DA/SA. With all that said, I've come to the solid opinion that the DA/SA transition isn't as significant as one would be led to believe by this old argument.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I LIKE a well tuned mid-sized 1911 (CCO/XO). It's comfortable to carry and leaves a sufficient number of large holes... but it needs to be well tuned.

Barring that, a Glock will go "bang" every time, right out of the box.

I'd like to play with one of those SiG P250 convertibles though...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

Another one you should take a look at is the Walther PPQ. It is essentially a Glock 19 with a better grip, better workmanship, and a better trigger (all my opinions of course). Doesn't seem to have any of the problems the 4th Gen Glocks are having, either. Comes in .40 and 9mm - take your pick.

I brought a PPQ, a CZ P-01, and a Glock 26 to the range this weekend and took turns at the plate rack. I have shot the G26 the most, but it ended up in a distant third. The PPQ did very well, especially for a first outing, but I definitely need to shoot it more, and it wound up second. The CZ did very well, came in first, and I think most of that was due to the way it fits my hand (don't pick one of these up unless you are prepared to buy it).

Ultimately I think it boils down to whatever you shoot the best.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I spend my money on Colts in .45 ACP.

Current carry gun...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson