Not a levergun but a new Ruger.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Not a levergun but a new Ruger.

Post by Leverdude »

Bought a cute little Ruger LC9 last week. I'v been carrying a Kel Tek P11 for a couple years and while its not a superb specimin of firearms craftsmanship its served me well. Last Friday I was cleaning it & the ejector broke in half. :evil: So I finished cleaning it & put it away and got out my Beretta 92. I carry this one sometimes this time of year anyway but really like the small one for regular every day carry. By Sunday I was ready to go get another gun. Sometimes you need to do a thing again to realize the restrictions it places on you. I cant wear my tools with that big Beretta strapped on so it sat locked in the truck while I worked Saturday. My uncle has the smaller Kel Tek PF9. I shot it a couple times & thought maybe its the one I should have gotten. Its alot slimmer for only 3 less rounds. So Sunday I went searching for one of them. First gun shop was crowded but I know where stuff is so I let the staff deal with the crowd & elbowed my way to the corner where the little plastic guns would be IF they had them in stock. They didnt, so I elbowed my way back out & visited another shop. Its mostly an archery/fishing store but Paul sells a few guns too. Mostly hunting rigs but you never know. Anyway after BSing for a few minutes I made my way to his single pistol case, all covered with arrows & different stuff and thru the clutter I see a Ruger Redhawk, a MK11 and low & behold a Ruger LC9. Now as far as I know these are almost an exact copy of the Kel Tek except its a Ruger & in my experience Ruger makes a good gun. Feels great in my hand, points real nice & has a better trigger than the Kel Tek so I bought it.
Only think I dislike about the gun is the loaded chamber indicator that sticks out the top. I might fix that but I'm not sure its going to keep bothering me. I cant see it when its in the holster where it belongs.
Only complaint I have with Ruger is it only comes with one mag, has two floor plates though, one with a pinky extension & one flush.
I'v put 250 rounds of ball & HP thru it so far with no issues at all and fist size groups at 10 yards. I'm very happy with it so far, for me thats great acuracy with such a small DAO pistol. Cant touch it with the P11 thats for sure. And most important I can wear my tools no problem with this in either an IWB or belt holster. I like it. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Not a levergun but a new Ruger.

Post by Blaine »

I like those. The only reason I got the Ruger LCP was the smaller size (I like my mouse gun in my leather vest pocket)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, glad ya like it bro. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dude, the LC9 is my carry gun too, although I don't carry often. It has been very reliable so far, and as accurate as a number of full-size autos I have owned.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

its always nice to have one of those attitude adjustment firearms
in your pocket!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have the LC9 and also the LCP. My LC9 has never failed to feed or fire and I have shot quite a bit of factory and hand loads through it.
My first impression of it was a surprise. It is WAY more accurate than I ever dreamed it would be. :D :D :D

That said, I carry my LCP daily because it rides in the pocket so well. :wink:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The LC9 makes a lot of sense. It is on my list of want guns but I already have my pistol bases covered so I keep wasting my money on food, gas, and clothes for the kids. Congrats on a good one!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The SR-9's are also kind of nice, though a bit bulkier...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Thank you gentlemen

I believe I'll get better as I aquaint myself with it. I was simply amazed that the first shot was alongside a 2" bullseye, and amazed again when they all fell right in there. The Kel Tek cant do that in my hands and for whatever reason isnt fun to shoot, this one is. 8)
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

AJMD429 wrote:The SR-9's are also kind of nice, though a bit bulkier...

Those are a single stack right? I definately have a need for a full sized gun with a single stack mag. I'd probably carry it all fall & winter when I wasnt working. I dont have a 911 yet & am seriously thinking of getting one & letting it fill both niches for now. I have an old S&S model 39 I used to carry alot but its got fire control issues I need to get sorted out. Guns are an easy thing for me to find a need for just one more. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Leverdude wrote:Those are a single stack right? I definately have a need for a full sized gun with a single stack mag.
SR9's are double-stack, but the grip is still rather slim. The SR9c is a more compact version of the 'regular' double-stack SR9.

The 23.4 oz. SR9c is 6.85" x 4.61" x 1.27" with 10 round magazine, taller (5.52") with a 17-round one.
http://ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html

The 17 oz. LC9 is 6.00" x 4.50" x 0.90" with 7 round magazine (no hi-cap ones).
http://ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

In essence, the SR9c is about the same height and length, but 3/8" thicker, and 6.4 oz. heavier; the price paid for 10 rounds vs. 7, but the SR9c gives you the option of adding 1" to the gun's height, and going to 17 round magazines. :twisted:

Personally, I'd just handle both, and see which fits your hand best - I have long skinny fingers, so small-grip guns don't point as naturally for me as medium or large ones do. 'Total' concealment, vs. 'reasonable' concealment, is just fine for my day-to-day activities (I used to carry a 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk when I worked as a relief pharmacist in bad neighborhood all-night pharmacies :shock: , because it was the only handgun I owned at the time!), so I chose the SR9c, and seldom use the shorter magazine, as I like a fuller grip. I still have the option of using the shorter one and making a better 'pocket' gun, though.

Both are available with the built-in type LaserMax lasers, and there are holsters available which are ok with those sights.

For a gun you might have to use with your off-hand, teeth kicked-in, and on the pavement, a laser sight seems like a really good idea.

I've never heard anything negative about either one, and there are lots of them out there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The Kel Tel holds 10+1 & is a mirror image of the LC9 except fatter. I was fine carrying it 99% of the time but it did cause trouble sometimes at work wearing tools. If I were to get a bigger gun I'd likely skip a compact all together but you never really know until I buy something.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

coooool.... :)