Impulse buy: Uberti Cattleman 357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Impulse buy: Uberti Cattleman 357

Post by FatJackDurham »

I was driving around today, trying to find new gunshops to lurk in, and I saw a gun I had been looking for. A 357 cowboy gun to use in SASS. The price was right, so I got it. It was back out to the range in the snow!

All I had left to shoot was some remanufactured ammo from Bullseye. From 25 yards, new gun, I was lucky to get all rounds on the target. But it was fun. Did some fanning, hip shooting, one handed.

Now, all I need is an outfit, and to learn to reload.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Impulse buy: Uberti Cattleman 357

Post by stretch »

I'll have mine with the case-hardened frame and the charcoal-blue barrel
and cylinder with walnut grips, thanks for asking..... 8) :lol:

Nice revolver. 8)

If you're gonna pick a cartridge to start reloading with, the
357/38 Special is arguably THE one (definitely one of the ones!)
to try first. Do a quick search on this forum on "reloading" to view
advice on how to proceed.

I like 14.0 gr. of 2400 pushing a 158 gr. JHP for the 357.
Gets the job done without punishing the revolver or the
shooter.

3.4 to 4.5 gr. of WW231 driving a 158 gr. LSWCHP is a dandy
load for the 38 Special.

Enjoy!

-Stretch
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

That is the one I have!!!! I chose 357 specifically because it is reputed to shoot well with either cowboy 357 or 37s in SASS meets, which I am dying to try this year.

Here is a couple pics of mine.

The Set

Big and Little brother, a Savage Model 101

Surprise! The Savage is really a single shot, with a flip out barrel and cylinder assembly!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1 ... lue_lg.jpg

This is the one I want. The "charcoal blue" is said to be somewhat fragile,
but it sure is pretty while it lasts.

Yours, while a handsome firearm indeed, is the dark blue. 8) There's a lot to be
said for a 357 carbine, too. I oughta buy one of those, although I COULD just
load 158 gr. bullets in my 35 Remington..... so many projects and such limited
free time!

Cimarron makes an 1860 Richards-Mason conversion in 38 Special in that "charcoal
blue" finish as well. I've always thought that one of the prettiest revolver designs.
One of those could fill part of a shelf in the ol' gun safe, eh?
http://cimarron-firearms.com/Conversion ... pener.htm#

Now see what you've gone and done?!? :lol: :lol:

-Stretch
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

k. Now I see the difference. I'm too clumsy for a nicer one.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lostowl05661 wrote:I was driving around today, trying to find new gunshops to lurk in, and I saw a gun I had been looking for. A 357 cowboy gun to use in SASS. The price was right, so I got it. It was back out to the range in the snow!

All I had left to shoot was some remanufactured ammo from Bullseye. From 25 yards, new gun, I was lucky to get all rounds on the target. But it was fun. Did some fanning, hip shooting, one handed.

STOP!!!! Do not fan that revolver! That is the quickest way to DESTROY the timeing, locking bolt, locking bolt slots, and hand.
Hip shooting - OK. One handed - OK. Using the left thumb to cock as you shoot - OK. FANNING = NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

Glad you got a gun you wanted. Now take care of it and you'll have a nice gun for very long time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have a taylor smokewagon in .357 mag. which is a uberti made to taylor's specs. it is blued with the 5.5 inch barrel. I thought the recoil from 158 gr, american eagles would pinch my hand, but the pistol just did a nice roll from recoil, very pleasant to shoot. A good gun for the occasional shooter such as :) myself. I bought it to sidecar with my rossi 92 in same caliber.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Lostowl05661 wrote: Now, all I need is an outfit, and to learn to reload.
Congrats. I have an Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt and love it. Reloading in and of itself is a very enjoyable pastime. It lets one develop custom loads and do more shooting. Win-win-win all the way!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Impulse buying is the way to go. I'd guess well over 90% of my firearms were see it buy it propositions. The gun shops I frequent are known to "bring something out from the back" for me to look at. New or used doesn't matter, if it calls to me...

With that said, I am "planning" on buying a KSG if they ever become available. But that too is really an impulse. I don't need it, I want it. I will never need a shotgun of that stripe, I want one. Now Kel-Tec, get busy and make the darned things will you.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lostowl05661 wrote:I was driving around today, trying to find new gunshops to lurk in, and I saw a gun I had been looking for. A 357 cowboy gun to use in SASS. The price was right, so I got it. It was back out to the range in the snow!
<snip>
... a second revolver a rifle, a shotgun, a belt & holsters! :P grains of IMR "PB" powder with a 125 grain lead bullet is a good, clean shootin' SASS load in .38Spl cases. Ya don't need nothing fancy, a pair of plain toed oxford shoes, denim jeans and a cotton buttoned ou're spending a lot of monet on guns and either ammo ir reloading equipment, so go with a basic outfit until your reloading starts saving you some dollars... AND you KNOW you really enjoy it (SASS).

It's what I did... till I figured out I sucked at the shooting and better concentrate on looking good doin' it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

.357 mag is my favorite in revolver and levergun...you made a wise choice.
I tried the SA, bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, but didn't like the grip,
the roll, just didn't feel right, my accuracy sucked.--I have too much trigger-time
with DA revolvers, which may be root cause of my dysfunction. Sold the
Blackhawk and shoot my GP-100 and SP-100, I just pull the hammer back on
the pair and pretend it's a nice Colt SAA... :)
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

a second revolver a rifle, a shotgun, a belt & holsters! :P grains of IMR "PB" powder with a 125 grain lead bullet is a good, clean shootin' SASS load in .38Spl cases. Ya don't need nothing fancy, a pair of plain toed oxford shoes, denim jeans and a cotton buttoned ou're spending a lot of monet on guns and either ammo ir reloading equipment, so go with a basic outfit until your reloading starts saving you some dollars... AND you KNOW you really enjoy it (SASS).

It's what I did... till I figured out I sucked at the shooting and better concentrate on looking good doin' it!
That sounds like a nice cheap outfit. Shoes? I thought boots were required.... I'll have to cobble something together quick, the first shoot I could attend is Mar 11, and then the Green Mountain Mayhem is 5/31.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

1892m wrote:.357 mag is my favorite in revolver and levergun...you made a wise choice.
I tried the SA, bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, but didn't like the grip,
the roll, just didn't feel right, my accuracy sucked.--I have too much trigger-time
with DA revolvers, which may be root cause of my dysfunction. Sold the
Blackhawk and shoot my GP-100 and SP-100, I just pull the hammer back on
the pair and pretend it's a nice Colt SAA... :)
Excellent. DA revolvers are nice. I see a lot of S&W break top models at my local arms dealer that attract me.

.357 seems to be paying off. If I get way into SASS, I may try a .45 later in life.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lostowl05661 wrote:
a second revolver a rifle, a shotgun, a belt & holsters! :P grains of IMR "PB" powder with a 125 grain lead bullet is a good, clean shootin' SASS load in .38Spl cases. Ya don't need nothing fancy, a pair of plain toed oxford shoes, denim jeans and a cotton buttoned {shoulda read SHIRT here} you're spending a lot of money on guns and either ammo or reloading equipment, so go with a basic outfit until your reloading starts saving you some dollars... AND you KNOW you really enjoy it (SASS).
That sounds like a nice cheap outfit. Shoes? I thought boots were required.... I'll have to cobble something together quick, the first shoot I could attend is Mar 11, and then the Green Mountain Mayhem is 5/31.
More cowboys of the old west probably wore broughams than "cowboy" boots. Many returning vets from the Civil war might've had "boots"... some of the cavalry kind, lots of the lace-up kind! There's only ONE (two if you include the ladies equivalent) category that requires boots and a hat. The rest don't. That's Classic Cowboy/girl; which has specific requirements for costuming and guns. The other costume category is B-Western also has some gun and costume specific requirements... just not for boots or hat!

I think that the worst thing folks can do is sit around waiting until they get all the accroutements to "look" the part as they envision a cowboy. Had a neighbor do that in CA. He had the basic guns and leather gear... work denim and work shirts every day... just kept wanting to have chaps, tooled leather, fancy boots and a Tom Mix hat. Unfortunately, health issues over-took him, and inside of six months he'd passed. He coulda been playing, having a ball... and I KNOW that he'd have probably lived more and longer in that time sittin' thinkin' about what he DIDN'T have, when he should've been enjoying what he did!

Get thee to a range that's holding a shoot this weekend... as my wife used to say, "...get addicted early... before you have a chance to think about it too much!"

Once you start having fun... $800 for a custom hat doesn't seem overly extravegant! $750 for custom boots are rather plain! And when your wife gets involved... double the number of guns... along with a few spares... and a new sewing machine that'll do button-holes... bunches of fabric and patterns... and more patterns... and oh-my-gawd, do you know how much room a ½ dozen full skirted ante-bellum dresses take up in her tiny little closet! Oops, new closets, read home addition time! And folks think the GUNS are the expensive part!

Then you get into the primitive camping... wait... just when you get all the iron skillets, dutch ovens and the wife sez, "...tentin' it is so inconvenient!" Then, sayeth the wife... we need a bigger trailer... maybe a motorhome so we can stay at the range in style... Need I go on! Start small... decide if it's for you later!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Man, that is sad. Sorry about your friend.

OK! I'll Do It!!!!

I just got a holster today. Sadly, my belly hangs over it a bit. I need to do some snowshoeing.

So, now, I guess my goal is to try to get to the Mar 11 meet in NH!

The reloading press arrived today. I got the resizer in and ran about 50 shells through. Then, I got the trimmer adjusted to size. Tomorrow, resizing, primer pocket scraping. Hopefully my friend Brian, a former State Trooper and AF SP can come over this weekend and show me how to set the rest up.