Log splitters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Log splitters

Post by O.S.O.K. »

As many of you know, I am currently building a house on some land in Mississippi and will be moving there in July, God willing. I am happy to say that the concrete work has finally started!!!

We are going to install a nice wood burning stove in the family room - very efficient heat for the winter - vents from the outside so you get total + heat. Eats very frugally too.

Anyway - this is 60 acres of mostly pine but also hardwoods - and I want to get a log splitter to process firewood. I have a tractor and want a PTO-driven unit. There's no auxiliary hydrolic port on the back - is on the side and hooked to the front end loader and I'd rather just have a PTO driven unit.

I have found that there are some cool, cone-shapped drill splitters - one that goes on an auger to replace the auger blade and others that are complete units - one is from the UK, but is too expensive. The auger one would allow me to get a used auger for around $500 and have that too. http://theatomsplitter.com/cms/

My buddy may have an auger... if he does, I'll definately buy the atom splitter and share with him - he's got lots of oak on his place and more downed trees than he knows what to do with = has offered that I can have all I want.

I also found a really nice one that hooks to the PTO and has a 4-way splitter head: http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_split ... t.asp?id=7 I am afraid to find out how much this one costs... but I really do like it. (I bet over $2K...)

Any comments, ideas, leads to something better? I know there's some timber men on this board. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Log splitters

Post by Rusty »

You might try these folks...

http://www.northerntool.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sorry but that atom splitter looks like a death trap. I can see feeding it wood and the block hang up and start spining with your coat sleave caught in it.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I built the first hydraulic splitter I ever san in 1972. I worked quite well, but as time went on I bought a two way splitter. It split wood on the way out and again on the way back. I sold 1500 logger's cords a year of white birch. Most was not split just cut to short lenght.
I tries a screw type. VERY dangerous. They also don't often cleanly separate the halves on smi-dried out wood.

Owen
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

About 30 years ago a company in Ohio (SOTZ) sold alot of wood heating related equipment.one of the things they sold was an all steel splitting maul 8/12/16 lb. I bought the 12lb one and have had it for all these years.they went under. looks like this.http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15780 .this type will split alot of wood and never break...but You have to learn not to be a muscle man at the fair but let it work for You. once You get the hang of it You can split some pretty big pieces of wood. And the older I get I look for stuff no bigger than my leg. :wink:
And You won't have to repair it .......................EVER.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Now that I'm not in the firewood bus. , I would spit by hand for my own use. In good green straight wood you should be able to out split a hydraulic splitter. It's good excersize. You probably will never use over five full cords a year.
Seasoned wood is much harder to split. Split the wood upside down with a splitting maul.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:You might try these folks... http://www.northerntool.com/
That's where we got ours - 26 ton conventional splitter - only problem was gunk in the carbuerator after letting it sit outside for a couple years un-tarped.

I agree about avoiding anything that could set wood spinning. Also, the 'X-shaped' bits vs. the simple 'wedge' can be fast - UNTIL you get a knotty piece of wood stuck on them.

Also remember there's LOTS of force there, so like using a table saw - always move carefully and deliberately. A table saw will remove your finger before you say 'ouch', and a splitter will crush your hand without even slowing down.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I split a lot of wood with a Sotz monster maul, but unless your built like Paul Bunyan, a hyd. splitter will win out in production cause it don't get tired. :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I tried twice to post and got dumped both times.
Go hydraulic.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

My two cents, the tractor mounted type are inherently dangerous in that you have to have the tractor running, and you are not in the seat! You must use wheel chocks, but tractors can easily go up and over them. Screw type are uncontrolable and dangerous.

Plus side of PTO driven, manuverablity (not sure I spelled that right?) but you can go to the wood, so not sure how you are set up, but you can take tractor to the felled tree, split it right there, pile it up and pick up split wood at leisure, so not moving wood twice.

Other thing I didn't like about the tractor unit, was too low, I was humped over all the time.

But PTO unit cheaper if you have the tractor already, just mind the safety please.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I split arond 8 cord a year using a hydraulic splitter (25 ton). Best thing I ever bought (besides some lever actions). I haul mine behind my ATV right up to the felled tree saves carrying blocks etyc. If you can get your tractor close to your wood you should be good to go. As the others have said safety first, block wheels, keep away from the drive shaft etc. Make sure the pump is a 2 stage type gives you more force with the same horsepower when you get into the ugly blocks. Also the type that can be switched from horizontal to vertical are handy when you have big blocks to split. You don't have to lift them onto the splitter, just roll them onto the plate. Mine is a
Speeco and has given me good service.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I've burned wood all my life (so far) and split by hand with an axe or mall til just two years ago.. all my kids and grandkids are scarce around these parts when I'm cutting/splitting wood.. so bought a 27 Ton hydrolic from Home Depot.. a Honda motor.. splits horizantaly or verticle.. love rolling the big blocks into it when set up verticly, and makeing little ones out of big ones.. haul it around with my four wheeler.. keep it in the garage.. love it.. HTH Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have a double-bit axe, 1940's vintage...that's all the log-splitter I want...no gas, no tune up, easy to transport, easy to store... :)
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Les Staley wrote:I've burned wood all my life (so far) and split by hand with an axe or mall til just two years ago.. all my kids and grandkids are scarce around these parts when I'm cutting/splitting wood.. so bought a 27 Ton hydrolic from Home Depot.. a Honda motor.. splits horizantaly or verticle.. love rolling the big blocks into it when set up verticly, and makeing little ones out of big ones.. haul it around with my four wheeler.. keep it in the garage.. love it.. HTH Les
That pretty much sums it up. I bought mine some 12 or 15 years ago now and never a regret. I do about 10 cords a year and the verticle and horizontal feature is a winner if the logs are too big to lift. At 52 I don't have what it took to do it all by hand as I did when a younger man. The Sotz maul was a mussle builder and could wear you out if you are not fit enough. My father still has his but it's too heavy to use. :wink: The old sledge and wedges were the ticket for really big stuff. Todays log splitters are good tools that, for the price, do a lot of work, save a lot of sweat and will last a lifetime if not abused.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Another plug for the dedicated horizontal / vertical type splitter.
One person can roll the big logs and be safer using the vertical , 2 people ( one for the lever and one holding the wood ) can take manageable sized chunks not drop every one onto the ground where they have to be picked up a second time. Just toss into a trailer or truck when split.
ETA . the one we have is from Farm and Family . 26 ton , tote around by atv / truck / tractor .
Phil
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

Most people dont understand what seasoning of firewood is. It not simply aging... it is purely dryness. You can have wood that sat outdoors for several years but if you let it get rained on it will still be wet. All you have is old wet wood. You MUST not let it get wet. Store it where it can dry out and STAY dry. If you split Pine and let it dry out it makes wonderful fire wood and will NOT make creosote like so many rumors say. It is the moisture in ANY wood that makes creosote ... that being smoke particles dissolved in the steam as wood burns.
Only thing with pine is it burns fast but if it is free and easy to get to , dont let it be wasted.

Years ago I believed in Stihl chain saws but for the last ten years I buy cheap Sears /Poulan saws and buy another one every 3 or 4 years. Got to be where a new sears saw was cheaper than the repair bill on the Stihl.

I guess if I was an every day lumberjack I would buy an
expensive Stihl. A $140 Sears saw is good for about 15-18 chords of wood. Best thing you can do is learn how to sharpen chain blade with round file and guide.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I found out that the atom splitter is $395+shipping - my buddy has an auger already, so no cost for that. This is the cone splitter that replaces the auger blade... it is really a two-man affair but that's OK as I would be helping him out regardless and if we split enough on his property, I won't have to worry about getting any wood off my place at all... He's got 150 acres of about 3/4 hardwoods and gets blow-downs every year way more than he can use. He's got no interest in selling firewood... he does have an interest in splitting it quick and putting it up to season - and obviously likes help.

This is what I'm talking about: (sorry - the pic doesn't want to show) is just a cone-shaped spiral tipped wedge...

You need to make a cradle for the logs to sit in so they don't rotate from what I can see - which is easy with some logs and a chain saw. It would be potentially dangerous, but we'd be working in tandem - one on the tractor controlling the auger and the other moving wood...

Another option which makes me drool:

That's a "Timberwolf TW-3" and PTO-powered but hydrolic. Check out the 4-way splitter wedge!! Oh man oh man :D

Now a couple of guys could really split some wood with that rig. I'ts got a 6 second reset too. Only issue is cost - $2400...

I'm so impressed with this and the other products from this company that I'm looking into a dealership - there are none in Miss right now.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Checked Northern Tool as suggested - I don't know why I didn't think of that - looked at Tractor Supply but not these guys....

Found this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200395410

Has good reviews. $699 plus shipping. Has it's limitations but for the money, seems to be a very good unit - I like the two-way splitter! Not as good as a 4-way on one stroke but then this is less than 1/2 the price of the Timberwolf...

It is different though - uses the hydrolics of the tractor rather than using the PTO to power on-board hydrolics... and those cost about $125 I guess... so that adds to the cost.

Hmmm.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

This is the splitter that I have used for several years and it's by far the best and fastest I've seen.
http://www.supersplit.com/
Mainehunter :wink:
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

No sense in sugar coating it... Auger use for firewood is STUPID ! It's use is only good for a freak show at the carnival. Just forget it. Unless you are absolutely sure there are ONLY oak tree hardwoods and no gum, elm or hickory etc. then get only a two way splitter. A 4 way splitter would have to be 40 tons or more to split Elm or Gum etc 4 ways. a 4 way blade is not too bad if you can switch it out to regular 2 way when the tough stuff comes along. This year I had some gum and
pecan ( cousin to hickory ) and in addition to my 25 ton vertical splitter, I also had to use 14 lb sledge and wedges at the same time as another operator had the hydraulic splitter going full throttle. Repeat for emphasis. If you value your back at all !
DO NOT get any kind of splitter where you have to pick the wood up to split it. That is maybe dumber than an auger.
You want to ROLL everything that you can to the splitter.
This year I had two dump trucks of 26 to 32 inch diameter
tree trunks dumped on my property and I figured some
of the 18 to 20 inch cuts weighed more than 250 pounds based on wood species density charts.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hmm. Good points. But I don't see any that lay on the ground. I do see vertical versions... One that is either vertical or horizontal...

I only see one issue with this one - it's design doesn't allow for two-way splitting - back and forth like the the 'only' horizontal models.

We could make a ramp to roll the big uns up to the deck on.... Or just use my tractor's front end loader to hike them up to the right level - yeah... that's the ticket.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

preventec47 wrote:No sense in sugar coating it... Auger use for firewood is STUPID ! It's use is only good for a freak show at the carnival. Just forget it. Unless you are absolutely sure there are ONLY oak tree hardwoods and no gum, elm or hickory etc. then get only a two way splitter. A 4 way splitter would have to be 40 tons or more to split Elm or Gum etc 4 ways. a 4 way blade is not too bad if you can switch it out to regular 2 way when the tough stuff comes along. This year I had some gum and
pecan ( cousin to hickory ) and in addition to my 25 ton vertical splitter, I also had to use 14 lb sledge and wedges at the same time as another operator had the hydraulic splitter going full throttle. Repeat for emphasis. If you value your back at all !
DO NOT get any kind of splitter where you have to pick the wood up to split it. That is maybe dumber than an auger.
You want to ROLL everything that you can to the splitter.
This year I had two dump trucks of 26 to 32 inch diameter
tree trunks dumped on my property and I figured some
of the 18 to 20 inch cuts weighed more than 250 pounds based on wood species density charts.
Now here's a guy who has experience. :D I relate this post to the guy who initially buys a Harley Sportster and winds up with a Ultra Glide.

Preventec47 says it right. Don't waste your time on a junky auger or a 10 cent splitter. Spend a grand or two and get a decent one that will hold up mechanically and will be easy on your back. My brother-in-law used to be in the wood business, splitting and hauling several hundred cords a year and he always said, "Get the best you can afford."

I have heated 100% with wood since 1981 (4 cords a year) and I split all of my wood with a 10 pound sledge, 10 pound maul and one of those 15 pounder jobs that look like an orange wedge with a metal handle. That one is my favorite. I must have 20 wedges around here of various sizes. If I wanted, I could go out a buy a nice splitter tonight but I look at splitting wood the old time way as forced exercise throughout the winter. I keep my wood in the rounds and split according to temperature, usually twice a week. And it ain't no sissy pine-----------All hickory, oak, beech, maple, locust, cherry, etc. Its really fun to get the crotch rounds with 8 branches. But that gum! Yep, I do that by hand also.

My Dad did the same--everything by hand. At 79 he could easily have punched my lights out.

I'm 57 and can outwork most 20 yo's. Its just something to think about----leaves more money for Winchesters & Colts :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You must be home every night. :)

I travel a lot and prefer to do this in batches and as quickly as possible - up to the limit of my covered storage - need to get that up too!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

pokey wrote:money is no object , right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmKBDIA ... re=related

Oooooh, Daddy want!

:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Even though I can easily borrow a log splitter from one of my buddies, here's my favored way:
splitwood7211.jpg
splitwood7212.jpg
I would really miss the hand-splitting. One of those therapeutic activities. Like reloading, but more physical.
The Fiskars splitting axe is new to me this year, in deference to an ouchy shoulder that thinks it should be replaced. Really works well in spite of only weighing 5#. It works so well I studied the profile a bit and then spent about an hour grinding my old 8# maul to a similar profile. Works much better!

Now I am using juniper, which is a soft wood that is not too bad to split. Not nearly as easy as tamarack, but not bad, other than being pretty knotty. So it may be I'd feel different if I had to do a bunch of hard-splitting hardwood. But for just a few cords of firewood for home use... sheesh -- get a good maul and double jack for driving through the gnarly pieces and spend the saved money on another rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I respect guys who split wood with sledge and wedges for the
exercise but I'd like to make the point that splitting with a hydraulic splitter is no less of a workout... it is just that you get a hell of a lot more wood split with the splitter. If you have a bunch of 200 pound rounds to muscle around and manuver and then collect and stack the split firewood I can assure you there are no less calories burnt... You just make a lot more progress. Either way you can set your pace and burn as many calories per hour as you wish. Further, it is also mighty theraputic when you use the splitter as you wind up with visible progress in the form of beautiful stacks of wood that can be admired much like a fine painting.

Also, just because you have a splitter dont think you wont
get to swing the sledge and axe pretty often as many times
(unless you are a coward) when you have tackle the really
big trees, you may have to split the really big rounds manually with several wedges and sledge just to get small
enough pieces to take to the hydraulic splitter. Dont be afraid
of the really big trees. There is a whole lot of great firewood
in them so dont be shy.

regarding splitters and rolling the rounds over the ground
to the splitter, The vertical splitter is the only one to have.
Just get a round to sit on while you guide the round with
one hand and use the other hand to work the splitter activator lever. Free Valuable Hint, wear steel toe boots :-)
and of course hearing protection and reasonable gloves.

The statement is correct, Two way splitters only work on horizontal platforms and only the rookie crazies get hooked on em by looking at a two minute video. The little secret is that one person cannot feed the splitter fast enough to take advantage of the two way action so you wind up destroying your back and dont wind up with any better production after all.

I bought my vertical splitter 15 years ago at Northern Tool
with the Briggs commercial engine and I religiously run the
engine dry if I am going to let the motor set for more than a few weeks and when I put it up for the season, I remove the
spark plug and put a bit of oil in the cylinder and pull the crank
cord a few times. Never let gas sit in an engine and your motor will last as long as mine has ( 15 years) without nary
a problem ever. I've probably run it about a hundred hours
a year for those 15 years. or 1500 hours total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Having done it both ways, I prefer the hydraulic.
Seen too many really bad, bloody cuts with hand held devices.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, anybody that's done any splitting at all has seen the wedge go flying... or the hammer veer off to one side.

I've yet to get hurt but it's always on my mind as I'm working and make a point to stay in the safe zone when around another guy swinging an axe or sledge.

The work might be good for you but I'll have plenty of other physical things to take up my time to need to split wood for that purpose.

And like I said earlier, I have a tractor with a front end loader - I can roll the biggys into that and then roll them off onto the splitter - no back issues at all! :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

[quote="O.S.O.K."]
And like I said earlier, I have a tractor with a front end loader - I can roll the biggys into that and then roll them off onto the splitter - no back issues at all! :)[/quote]

Send us a video of that will ya, I'd really like to see that.
Go on an get yourself a horizontal splitter. I can tell you been watching a bunch of videos. heh heh heh
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

OK, after you check out all the amateur toys check out a REAL log splitter :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQCA-mTzjs
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Way too much money for a homeowner.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That one's pretty cool. . . but THIS one's even more fun...!

http://www.wimp.com/woodcuttingattachment/
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

preventec47 wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote: And like I said earlier, I have a tractor with a front end loader - I can roll the biggys into that and then roll them off onto the splitter - no back issues at all! :)

Send us a video of that will ya, I'd really like to see that.
Go on an get yourself a horizontal splitter. I can tell you been watching a bunch of videos. heh heh heh
Back at you friend :) I have been watching a bunch of vids trying to figure out the right splitter to get for sure.

All of my personal experience has been with a maul, sledge and wedges. That's why I posted this thread in the first place!

I used the FEL to move some really big logs (200 lbs at least) for my buddy recently - it works great - could only get three in the bucket at a time. He is manually splitting at this time but it would be easy to have a splitter set-up (I'm looking at one with side racks) and then simply position the FEL next to the splitter and roll the big logs off onto the splitter - one by one. Piece of cake - you must not have a tractor or any experience with a front end loader? Mine has a stick control and is very smooth operating.

Most all of the stuff I'll be splitting on my place is much smaller diameter - like 8-12".
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I used the FEL to move some really big logs (200 lbs at least) for my buddy recently - it works great - could only get three in the bucket at a time. He is manually splitting at this time but it would be easy to have a splitter set-up (I'm looking at one with side racks) and then simply position the FEL next to the splitter and roll the big logs off onto the splitter - one by one. Piece of cake - you must not have a tractor or any experience with a front end loader? Mine has a stick control and is very smooth operating.
You could easily rig a small 'table' to place them on with the FEL, too. For Instance, the end of our heavy picnic table is just a couple inches higher than the platform on the splitter when in horizontal position.

I usually flip the splitter into the vertical position for the really big heavy ones though.

NOTE - if using it vertically, and a log slips off the end of the splitter (or part of it does, after splitting), the hydraulic will keep pushing it into the ground, and the splitter will tip itself over... :shock:

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I might be tempted to use a splitter like mine - a 12 lb. maul with
a fiberglas handle. Mississippi? You won't be using but a few chords
of wood a year, and the maul provides some good exercise.

No? Need a hydraulic splitter for any of several good reasons?
The inexpensive ones seem to work pretty well these days. Just
tow it behind your tractor. Yes, it's another small engine to maintain,
but it will be cheaper than a PTO-type unit. What preventec47 said -
maintain it, store it inside a garage or barn, and it'll last a long time.

Some good points on burning wood above. No need to be afraid of
burning pine - just burn it DRY and HOT. Southern yellow pine (some
call it pitch pine up here) may have more pitch, but I've never had a
problem in 10+ years of heating my garage with wood using a wide
variety of species. I burn any species available. Make sure your wood is
DRY, and don't damp your stove down to a smolder.

Living in Maine, the promise of 60+ acres of FREE firewood just makes
me DROOL! 8) :mrgreen: :lol: Were I closer, I'd offer to help!!!

-Stretch
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

AJMD429 wrote:
That one's pretty cool. . . but THIS one's even more fun...!

http://www.wimp.com/woodcuttingattachment/
That is the king right there. While I haven't looked at them, http://www.timberwolf.com has portable "processors" that do pretty much the same thing -but I like the fact that the Bobcat can move around... cool.

ETA: Stretch - I am really looking forward to moving there :)

My buddy has a big masonry fireplace on his enclosed, converted carport that is now a man/TV room. The thing eats firewood like crazy and doesn't really cast off that much heat - looks pretty but is very ineficient. He goes through a good 3- 3/12 cords every winter just feeding that thing.

For my part, I'll primarily be feeding the wood stove which is a very light eater - six small logs a day probably. The house will be very well insulated being backfilled on the back and side and having 6" external walls on the other two sides. I will probably have a smaller outside fireplace too - for the porch - maybe a California type fireplace...or other similar free-standing type. But that won't be fed daily...

I could get by with manual splitting but the fact is, I travel a lot... and will have several other things to keep me busy including a large garden and maybe a couple acres of tobacco to tend to. I've been looking into the tabacco as a cash crop...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Sounds great, O.S.O.K!

Masonry fireplaces can be tricky. There are forms/plans
to make them for maximum effeciency, and while it can
and has been done, it's easier just to buy a woodstove. :wink:

I hear ya about time. As good a reason as any to buy the
machine.

Look forward to seeing pics of your little slice of heaven
when you get it done.

-Stretch
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Check out this thread and the splitter therein

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts ... 30216&PN=2
The Lord Bless You

Terry
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Stretch, I'll post some up :) But it'll be July, God willing until we get in. But, the cement/foundation is being poured as I type this - or soon anyway. May just be the forms up at this point... but it's underway - finally!

I probably won't do anything with the splitter until next fall. Just thought I'd do the research and get advice now... lots of things to consider when you move to a new place like this. Decisions to be made.

I need to make a covered storage area for the wood. I'm thinking I'll just use the pine trees to construct that - with the used galvanized roofing that I have - if any's left over from extending my storage shed.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

41 Redhawk wrote:Check out this thread and the splitter therein

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts ... 30216&PN=2
That's a Timberwolf TW6. I was looking at a TW3 which operates off of a tractor PTO - but it's $2500 - ouch. Timberwolf makes a full line of splitters/wood processors. Cool stuff.

Did you see the comment about "how did you get that log up there?" :lol:

Indeed.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Actually I did see that comment since I made it :lol:. I'm twillis on that forum. I didn't notice the "wings" in the first set of pictures.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OIC :lol:

But he still had to heft it up there. Ooof.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

O.S.O.K. wrote:OIC :lol:

Actually the "wings" I was referring to are hydraulically controlled and flop down to the ground. Roll the log on and pull a lever!
The Lord Bless You

Terry
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

41 Redhawk wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:OIC :lol:

Actually the "wings" I was referring to are hydraulically controlled and flop down to the ground. Roll the log on and pull a lever!
Wow, now that's slick!

If I had the money, I'd definately get a Timberwolf splitter - they are really nice.

As it is, I the Northerntool "powerhorse" will do just fine.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

stretch wrote:Masonry fireplaces can be tricky. There are forms/plans
to make them for maximum effeciency, and while it can
and has been done, it's easier just to buy a woodstove. :wink:
small change of direction but related.
been thinking of making one of these for a while now.
looks very interesting.

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

pokey,
very cool!
Be a big hit with the back to nature types.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

There's a post on here about the rocket stove. It's very cool - slow to heat up and I guess you can get a lot of "back smoke" when trying to get it lit, but it is very efficient and burns most all of the wood down to mostly steam being put-out...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!