Totally Nylon Jacketed bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Totally Nylon Jacketed bullets

Post by rossim92 »

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_c ... &WTz_l=CQO looking through cabelas catalogue and noticed they now sell total nylon jacketed bullets for the .9 mm, .40 s&w, and .45 acp. I shoot the .45 acp in my glock but only used the fmj in copper.. Anybody have any experience with this new coating?, Going to a gun show on the 18th and that will give something different to look for. :)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: tnj

Post by JohndeFresno »

Federal "Nyclad" bullets were similarly used in .38 Special loads used by federal police agencies in the police revolver days. It would appear that this is just an extension of the application.

The Winchester Silvertip and the Nyclad .38 hollow point are still two of my choices for a good standard pressure (non +P) load in my vintage aluminum .38 Spcl snubbie.

SEE http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40054
"nylon jacketed bullets," posted about the same time on the "General Discussion" forum
for much more information.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[quote="JohndeFresno"]Federal "Nyclad" bullets were similarly used in .38 Special loads used by federal police agencies in the police revolver days. [/i]I remember the news media called them 'teflon' bullets and said they'd go through bullet-proof vests and so on... the real purpose was to decrease airborne lead in underground, poorly-ventilated ranges many police departments were then using.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Doc,

A lot of folks got the two mixed up. The Nyclad were never taken off the market by any means other than economics. They were pre-empted by the novel, new (at that time) HydraShok bullet made by the same company. Many savvy agents and peace officers held onto their coveted Nyclad loads when they became unavailable, but guess what? They are back:
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=828

The true Teflon coated "KTW" brand bullets that were banned were a lightweight, hyper velocity metal bullet, "Kennetite" steel, and later brass, coated with green teflon. The polytetrafluoroethylene was there, as I recall, to protect the barrel from the tough metal bullet, not to aid in penetration. I carried a few of these in .45 and .357 for carstop purposes. My tests showed that the .357 bested some samples of my Second Chance body armor, but read below. The bullets were created by a doctor and an ex-police officer to penetrate auto glass and doors - as an aid to police officers, not as a cop-killer.

Check out these links for further info on the Teflon "cop killers;" itself another bit of anti-gun hysteria stupidity, since a .30-06 round will easily defeat the barriers and body armor, and more, than a Teflon pistol bullet would penetrate.

Teflon bullet info and pix:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet
http://www.google.com/search?q=teflon+b ... 24&bih=614

Here is perhaps a more pertinent and concise article on the invention and purpose of the KTW green teflon coated bullet:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo06dec.htm
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Totally Nylon Jacketed bullets

Post by rossim92 »

went to the gun show in va this past saturday. There was a factory certified armorer for glocks running a stand, replacing sights and slides release and what not. I just watched a while and noticed he could take the gun apart and put back together without looking at it and talking to the customer at the same time. Reminded me of my days of dating girls. :D Seriously, when he wasn't busy I asked about nylon coated ammo , and he said not to use them with glocks, just like uncoated lead bullets, the rifling can't handle the buildup. So to be on the safe side, I will just stick with fmj.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

That doesn't make sense to me, nimble fingered gunsmith or no (you ought to see how quickly I can seed a jalapeno). A steel barrel is a steel barrel, and there seems to be no end to cleaning agents to remove lead, at the very least, like various products and some brass wool, Lewis Lead Remover, and my favorite - Wipe-Out Brushless Bore Cleaner.

I don't know if the newer formulations of nylon are more stubborn to remove, but the red flag comes up as to one's credibility when he states that lead cannot be removed from a gun barrel.

There are some 'smiths and even a gunmaker or two on this forum, so it will be interesting to see what they say.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I still have a full box and half of another box of Federal Nyclad that I use in my Rossi snub .38 special.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

JohndeFresno wrote:That doesn't make sense to me, nimble fingered gunsmith or no (you ought to see how quickly I can seed a jalapeno). A steel barrel is a steel barrel, and there seems to be no end to cleaning agents to remove lead, at the very least, like various products and some brass wool, Lewis Lead Remover, and my favorite - Wipe-Out Brushless Bore Cleaner.

I don't know if the newer formulations of nylon are more stubborn to remove, but the red flag comes up as to one's credibility when he states that lead cannot be removed from a gun barrel.

There are some 'smiths and even a gunmaker or two on this forum, so it will be interesting to see what they say.
just a short note. i emailed glock and asked them about nylon coated bullets and any harm to their barrels. So far, I haven't had a reply.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I can't see nylon clad bullets fouling the polygonal rifling in Glocks because the hard moly coated bullets like Precisions as well as the plated varieties work very well in them. I've shot 10s of thousands through my 40 and 45 Glocks.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are