Anyone have a glock 20 or 20sf?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Anyone have a glock 20 or 20sf?

Post by WCF3030 »

Looking to get a Glock 20(sf) to trick out some and take hunting.
Anyone have one of these?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a glock 20 or 20sf?

Post by MrMurphy »

I don't have one, though I've shot several, but I know several guys who use them as hunting backups.

Loaded properly it's about like a .41 Magnum with 3 times the ammo capacity. They'll do a number on wild hogs, deer and black bear.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yes, my 1911's have a big ugly uncouth cousin from the next block over. :lol: Mine is the SF model -- I spent an hour at the fun store comparing the grips and went with the smaller grip. My paw is significant in size, but my fingers are relatively short -- either one of them would have been fine though for me.

I bought mine so i would have a nice bowhunting sidearm with plenty of punch for a hungry cougar or black bear (OK , OK -- i have a whole sock drawer full of nice 357's that would do this job too --- i just bought it because i wanted it :D ) I really want to make a long barrel long slide out of it (member, COSteve has one that is pretty cool) with a target sight and one of their 3.5# triggers --- but i have plenty of other projects to keep me busy for a while before i can get to this one.
Really, the darn thing impressed me with its accuracy the first time i tried --- my only other experience with a Glock was a model 21 .45 ACP -- i had a hard time keeping tight groups with it --- but this one shot equivalent to the best groups i have been able to squeeze out of my 1911's within the first magazine --- admittedly, my 1911's are not tricked out target models, but i shoot them .. A LOT.

I carried it hunting this past deer season in both rifle and bow season a bit ----- i have to admit one thing though, not having seriously carried a Glock before, the lack of a safety seemed to always be on my mind ---- but for a defensive firearm, you want it to be able to go to work as soon as you clear leather -- i understand that -- But i've never had a rough time manipulating a 1911's safety, and the long 10 -12 pound D-A pull of a revolver acts as a safety in and of itself. I never worry about those 2 platforms --- the Glock i was always fussing with. I hate to say it, but a .357 will probably go back on the belt next hunting season and the Glock will remain my ultimate "bump in the night" gun ---- If you cant get something settled with 16 rounds of 10mil -- you better pray the SWAT team is on the way :lol:

----- Doug
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I don't have one but I have the hi-cap mags for one from back in 1994 ... just before they were outlawed for 10 years. I was really wanting a 20 but it never came about. I think CoSteve is a big Glock 20 fan.

I tried that "but honey, I've got the magazines for it" line with the wife. It was worth a shot but she wasn't buying.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have a 20 SF with night sights. I really like it. I have a stainless Storm Lake barrel in mine right now - allows you to shoot cast boolits. I also have a 6" version of the same on order. This gives a bit more velocity for hunting. The Storm Lake was just a drop-in and go affair. Some also like them for the "fully supported" chambers.

You can see the holster below - its an El Paso Saddlery and is very comfortable. Not a great concealment holster although it's fine under a jacket or coat and does hold the pistol snug against your bod.

I can place shots inside about 5" easily with Winchester 175 grain Silvertips at 50 yards and the night sights allow you to continue hunting to the legal 1/2 hour past sunset.

I would suggest that the 10mm is really just a larger diameter maximum loaded .357 Mag. But it could be considered a medium loaded 41 mag too.

I like the 15 round mag. I don't feel any need to carry an extra with that many on-board already.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yes, I have a G20 and you could say that it's 'a bit' customized. It started out as a G21 and after I got a custom 6" German steel slide and Jarvis 6" barrel, I developed a 10mm conversion barrel so it can shoot both 10mm and 45acp. I call it a Glock 20/21L. It's evolved some since 2004 when I first developed it and currently, it looks like this:

I just remove the magwell for hunting (picture before Grip Force Adapter) and with the longslide's better sight radius and the longer barrel's increased velocities with slower burning powders, I'm ready for anything in the Rockies. My 10mm generates better performance (larger diameter bullet, higher velocity, more muzzle energy) than a hot 158grn 357mag load out of a 6" revolver with triple the ammo capacity (17+1 rds of fire breathing 10mm) in a package that actually weights less than a S&W 6" 686 revolver with only 6 rds:

A complete listing of my Glock 20/21L customized parts:

Custom 6” Steel Slide with Front Serrations
THE S/S Guide Rods & 17lb ISMI Spring
THE S/S Guide Rods & 20lb ISMI Spring
THE S/S Guide Rods & 22lb ISMI Spring
Cobra Chromed™ Slide & Extractor
Jarvis 6” Custom Steel 45 Barrel
LWD Extended Slide Stop Lever
LWD Chrome Slide Cover Plate
KKM 6” S/S 45-10MM Barrel
THE Extended Mag Release
Glock Enhanced Trigger Bar
Arredondo +10 Mag Springs
Wolff Comp Trigger Spring
Melted Bo-Mar Rear Sight
LWD Extended Slide Lock
Lightning Strike Magwell
5ea 10mm high cap mags
5ea 45acp high cap mags
Don Hume Slide Holster
Rounded Trigger Guard
Dawson FO Front Sight
LWD 3.5# Connector
+10% Mag Springs
Grip Force Adapter
Hogue HandAll™
Pro Trigger Job
+2 Mag Bases

Based in part upon my development, JR of Lone Wolf Distributors decided to offer both a 5.5" tactical length and 6.0" long slide and everything you need to duplicate mine. Just give him a call and he can fix you up with everything you need.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I hate to ask how much $$$ you have in that little beauty...

Mine has the sights, 6lb trigger mod IIRC, barrel and a titanium guide rod.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote: Based in part upon my development, JR of Lone Wolf Distributors decided to offer both a 5.5" tactical length and 6.0" long slide and everything you need to duplicate mine. Just give him a call and he can fix you up with everything you need.
I will be doing exactly that ! ( Well, after tax season that is --- some folks look forward to a refund, i look forward to writing a big check instead :cry: :oops: )
----- Doug
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Thanks for the feedback!
Some nice looking 10mm's. I developed a fondness for those butt ugly pistols!!
Like some have said I carry it during hunting, also as a CCW in the colder coat months.
My plan is to buy the 6.61 threaded barrel and the compensator from Lone Wolf and then a month or two later the long slide. Then I’ll add different sights.
Thid will be for hunting and then back to stock for carry.
I’ll probably go with the 20sf over the 20.
COSteve how is the recoil with the long slide?
Should I fore go the brake?

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I hate to ask how much $$$ you have in that little beauty...
Remember, this was developed, I didn't just buy existing parts because a conversion barrel didn't exist and no one knew whether it would work. That aside, I'm north of $2,100 in it. :o Would I do it again? You bet!!!
WCF3030 wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
Some nice looking 10mm's. I developed a fondness for those butt ugly pistols!!
Like some have said I carry it during hunting, also as a CCW in the colder coat months.
My plan is to buy the 6.61 threaded barrel and the compensator from Lone Wolf and then a month or two later the long slide. Then I’ll add different sights.
Thid will be for hunting and then back to stock for carry.
I’ll probably go with the 20sf over the 20.
COSteve how is the recoil with the long slide?
Should I fore go the brake?
I don't see the need for a brake with the longslide. You're adding 4.75 oz of weight cantilevered out at the end of the muzzle and that, coupled with Glock's natural frame flexing makes for a surprisingly soft shooter and many also like the more solid pointing the longer slide produces. I reload for it (doesn't everyone who owns a 10mm though?) and I use slow pistol powders because the longer barrel allows for them to develop some impressive velocities such as my 'nuclear' load of a 165grn bullet launched at 1,589fps producing an impressive 925ft/lbs of muzzle energy. While I can push it a bit faster, I don't really feel the need to. Even with that load the recoil is more of a stout push rather than a fire breathing, wrist snapping event.

Even though it's stout, it's not bothersome. I regularly shoot those hot loads at our steel targets to practice. The stout loads don't bother my aim or recovery and the accuracy is great. Oh, did I mention that the steel plate is 200yds away and I shoot standing, two handed, unsupported? Let me put it another way. I have a damaged rt wrist from an accident 50yds ago. With it I'm good for about 20rds of hot 357mag loads in my Uberti SA Cavalry model before my wrist starts to feel it. I can't make even 6rds of 44mag in a revolver without the wrist barking at me. It's the shape of the grips on revolvers; an inverted 'cone', which encourages a snappy muzzle rise.

Now, compare that to my G20/21L. Glock's low bore axis, coupled with it's solid grip size and flexing frame generates a significantly lower felt recoil in part because the impulse is more extended and in part because of the lower thrust vector. Those combine to vector the recoil energy much more straight back and through the frame flex, over a longer period. So, you have significantly lower felt recoil without most of the snap. Don't get me wrong, the 10mm produces a stout push, but to compare, I've shot over 200rds of hot 10mm through it in an outing multiple times and never had even the hint of wrist pain. It might be a bit tired but it isn't sore.

Bottom line, save your money for a longslide with it's 28% longer sight radius, slap on some decent target sights and a thin (.100" wide) front sight with it's tiny fiber optic from Dawson, load up some honest full charge 10mm ammo and enjoy some of the best semi-auto pistol shooting I know of.
Steve
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow. :)

I will second the lack of need for the comp - I don't think the recoil is all that much with mine as-is and the heavier gun would be even less. The nature of the autoloading mechanism seems to soak up a lot of recoil.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Steve,

I'm sold. Can't wait to get started. The taxes are in soon, there is plenty of overtime at work. The only set back is that my FFL guy is on vacation. I'll just have to get all the extra and componets first. :mrgreen:
I understand if you want to keep the load info to yourself, but could you tell me what bullet your using.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

WCF3030 wrote:Steve,

I'm sold. Can't wait to get started. .

Yep -- if you couldnt tell from my reply --- he sold me too :lol: Him and Ted Nugent (another big proponent of the 10mm) ---- tell the truth, i was enamored the first time i heard Delta Force had traded in their "puny and weak" 9mm MP5's for 10mm's ! (Although for whatever reason, the 10 mm MP5 didnt achieve mass popularity --- probably pretty darn cost prohibitive though)

I'll parrot what others have said about recoil ---- The Glock 20 is just so darn big, the pistol seemingly bucks less than my Commander size .45ACP
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The FBI ran 10mm MP5's and still have some.

Delta stuck with 9mm since it's only use is suppressed for, as a member once said to me "giving Mohammed a 9mm shampoo" and they use the M-4 for most other roles.

I use a Glock 30 (.45) and have for 12 years. In a proper holster the Glock is as safe as anything, i've carried mine concealed, openly, hunting, hiking and everything else without issues.

The G20 would make a fine field gun and I'm used to the platform.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Great post and feedback. Ive wanted one for a long time for no better reason than I just want it. Maybe wanting will end up being better than having but I don't care. I'd like to have it for hiking in the woods and mnts. out here hunting, mushrooming, berry pickin or whatever assuming I can get my lungs working again.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I have a 20sf as a daily edc gun. i also bought it to trplace a 329pd as a wilderness gun. It is 100% stock. I have been thinking about new sights, but it shoots so good I don't really want to change it. The gun really needs no mods (want is another matter). I really like mine a bunch.

It outperforms a .357 and rivals a .41 in a package that is lighter, more durable, and nearly triple the capacity. Ammo is easy to find online, and costs no more than .357, and is less than .41 and .44. My last order of FMJ was around $19 per box, and my last carry loads were around $30 per box.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Handloading will do you even better ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Handloading will do you even better ;)
Yep, the expensive part of the 10mm is the case so save your brass. Then you'll be able to handload it for less the 1 cent more than a comparable 40s&w would cost to handload.
Steve
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

This ugly beast is a Glock 30 with a 10mm BarSto barrel that I was offered and could not pass up. It shoots great and with the 15 round mag and a grip adapter feels better than the full size model. With the built in brake not hard to shoot at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Paladin wrote:This ugly beast is a Glock 30 with a 10mm BarSto barrel that I was offered and could not pass up. It shoots great and with the 15 round mag and a grip adapter feels better than the full size model. With the built in brake not hard to shoot at all.
Every time I see a BarSto 45-10mm conversion barrel I have to laugh. I called BarSto at the same time I called KKM Precision about making me a 10mm conversion barrel for my G21L back in 2004. Kevin at KKM was interested but BarSto told me in no uncertain terms that they were not interested and that it wouldn't work.

After I started posting about the success with my G20/21L on Glocktalk and got a buzz going on it, Kevin started selling a number of barrels and low and behold, BarSto came out with their version. It probably works fine but after the putdown I got from them when I broached the idea and the rude way they responded, I wouldn't buy a BarSto product under any circumstances.
Steve
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I would love to have gone the same route as Steve, but my fingers are just too short. The small frame Glock is fine for me, but the large is too big. *sigh*

Too bad too, because that is one helluva set up.

Cat
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I think milling a RMR sight into the slide on that long barreled 10 mm would be pretty cool. Here is a link http://www.onesourcetactical.com/advanc ... ide-1.aspx

I have one on my Glock 19, it is almost like cheating:-)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

COSteve wrote: Based in part upon my development, JR of Lone Wolf Distributors decided to offer both a 5.5" tactical length and 6.0" long slide and everything you need to duplicate mine. Just give him a call and he can fix you up with everything you need.
Dang Steve, you really went all out on that thing lol.

I'm going to start out with the 6" barrel, then add the long slide later. Was considering doing the ported slide but I'm convinced by the argument you and OSOK have made. Been hanging out and working with Malamute in known grizzly territory up north of Cody (met a guy last week that survived an attack last year within a few miles of where we are working and killed the bear with a .41 magnum) and I'm going to order some double tap 230gr WFNGC loaded rounds and bullets. I'm interested to see what I can load those to in a 6" barrel. I would like to see 1200 fps or more. I carry a Buffalo Bore 180gr HP up here in the CO mtns, and a 135gr HP in Denver, but even the 180gr gives me little confidence in big bear country.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Looky what I found. :mrgreen:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx ... 27&CAT=240

LWD Barrel M/20L 10MM 6.61" Length Threaded 9/16x24

That is definitely the one.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got just a stock G20
Whether you love em or hate em, gotta give it to Glock for producing a handgun that has sold more than any weapon ever produced. :mrgreen:
Love that 10mm and when I get mine back(in NYS)wanna do the Steve deal. :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I posted this in another thread but here's how my 6" storm lake barrel came out :)

I haven't shot it yet.... but it looks good :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!