When life gives you lemons, get out the MIG ...updated 2-11

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

When life gives you lemons, get out the MIG ...updated 2-11

Post by wecsoger »

Last time I was home in Ky, my dad went back in the bedroom and pulled out this towel wrapped package. Said there wasn't any more real gunsmiths around he knew of there and wanted me to look at something.

Pulled out two parts of a horrible, horrible looking take down shotgun. Dirty, dusty, dust bunnies, scratched, dinged. Said he had got it, couldn't get it together or to work and would I take a look at it.

It is a Ranger model 30. Big whoop,that tells me a lot. But, according to the internetz tubes, it really is a Stevens model 520a, manufactured between 1912-1932. Take down 12 gauge, single bar pump action. And one infamous for not having the trigger disconnect.

Looking at it, I suspect it had been wrapped up and put away a good part of that time. Dad said he got it and was told it was missing parts.

But still, it locked together tight and while really ugly, it still looked functional. That doesn't matter to me, I'll take 'working' over 'pretty' any day.

What it looks like disassembled. You can see the very high ugliness factor.

After a cup of coffee and a partial cleanup, I think I found the problem. And that is the problem. Looking around the 'net, replacement transfer bar is forty some bucks, *if* it's available. All the sources I found, they had a listing, but none available.

Well, it's broke, I can't make it any worse. MIG welder, aluminum backing plate, had another cup of coffee and made some test runs.

OK, after the die grinder and belt sander, not looking too badly. Lay some metal on, shape, do it again.

Really wish I had a TIG set up for this. Maybe when I win the lottery. But I'll keep cleaning and shaping.

Final result. (And you can see that "character" in the butt stock!)

Put Humpty Dumpty together. AND IT WORKS! Heaven knows last time that action was cycled!

Still have a complete action stripping and cleaning, and the bore is really almost a literal sewer pipe. But it all looks like it will clean up.

I didn't really clean and blue my work because that weld metal is brittle. I really don't expect it to hold or last too long. It's working now good enough so that I can test the action and do test firing. Later on, I'll get steel plate; use the plasma cutter to take off a small strip; cut the transfer bar about half way up and rivet/weld at the splice.
Last edited by wecsoger on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: When life gives you lemons, get out the MIG welder

Post by Thunder50 »

Nice job even if you plan on making another part. At least you got the girl to function. Makes ya feel good, being able to do something like that, doesn't it?
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool, please keep us posted.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Good job. looks great and if it works why not. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Would definately like to see the "after" pic!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good for you! Just apply some boilded linseed oil and 0000 steel wool to the wood - it'll clean up nicely I bet. Same for the metal - lightly....

Great job bringing an ol girl back. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Good for you!
Another one of John Browning's classics back in the field.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Is it possible to anneal the brittleness out of the weld metal?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I would have to think you could but I don't have an engineering letters after my name and have a lot of problems even spelling metallurgist

Main goal, other than to make some neat pictures was just to see if this sad old thing would function. That's accomplished. Now I can spend the time of totally stripping the receiver, cleaning it out, going after the barrel with steel wool and a little clean up of the wood. And really scrubbing out the inside of the barrel.

It will be interesting to see how long the weld holds My experience has been on this small stuff is the weld does fine - everything always breaks on the edge of the metal just before the weld. You try to keep the heat down, but there's only so much you can do and still get a bond.

Fun stuff, though, guys, right? Thanks for the comments and I'll do couple more pictures after I put the old girl back together.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Nice job! These old humpbacks have some charm of their own.

It looks like the stock varnish could be shellac. If so, it is easy to get it in order with a piece of cloth drenched in etylic alcohol. One can wipe the shellac away, or one can with some care restore the shellac finish. In latter case one can add new shellac after having treated the old one. I have done so with old furniture, that has looked really bad - but alcohol and new shellac is the proper medicine, and the result can be amazingly good.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

For the request on a last look when everything is assembled

all put back together. It does look better than this, for some reason the flash brings out all the rust

nothing like a big hunk of metal in the top of the receiver for positive lockup

forearm. gotta figure out a filter to make it look cleaner without the rust.

receiver side with that distinctive hump

and the other side. you can see the ranger emblem and engraving is almost all gone

For right now, I'm leaving as-is. That barrel is a lot 'bluer' than what's showing in the photos. I'll take it back to dad and see what he wants. I can leave or, or next would be to strip the wood and try a home blue job on the rest of the metal.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: When life gives you lemons, get out the MIG ...updated 2-11

Post by RustyJr »

If it were me I'd leave it be. The "used" look doesnt look too bad. Gives it a little character. And if its just going to be used as an "around the house" and "beater" shotgun I wouldn't worry about it. Heck, kinda gives it the plumb brown look that some people pay for lol.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: When life gives you lemons, get out the MIG ...updated 2-11

Post by iceman »

Looks good so far. I'd like to find an old one like that and bring it back to working order. Have fun. :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.