Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. (PIC ADDED)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. (PIC ADDED)

Post by Old Savage »

Here it is fellows - it is here and on the requisite Ca 10 day wait. Anyone have one and what do you think? :)

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... 44+Special

Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl.

Post by gak »

Congratulations! Great, great gun. I've got the shortie Sheriff in stainless and 4-5/8" in blue. Swapped a Montado hammer into the Sheriff--now a perfect twin to my .357 Montado, and a SBH into the blued model. Mine now wear Carl "Private" Schultz' very nice holly and figured walnut grips, respectively. I tamed the factory "hard rubber's" aggressive checkering a bit with some 000 wool and swap them back in occasionally when taking them camping or on the trail--just because I can.

I'm sure you meant "New Vaquero" :). (I know it oddly just says Vaquero on the frame--unique to the .44 Sps-- and Ruger and vendors are inexplicably describing all NVs as "Vaqueros" in literature and ads these days.)
Last edited by gak on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks nice OS, is that the small frame model? 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pitchy, if I beat him to it--yes the smaller "mid" frame as all New Vaqueros and (non .44 magnum) Flattops.

Turnbull must have taken advantage of the same "sale" pricing as he is selling the 4-5/8" with his CCH for $799, and an interesting "Carbona bronze" for $899. My 4-5/8" is begging for his CCH treatment and is where it's headed when funds are available.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very nice gun OS :mrgreen:
Daughter's boyfriend recently got one in .357mag and they are very nice guns.
You will love it(44spl great choice)
Congrats and pics and reports when you get it please! :wink:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

It looks nice, tho the grip area looks a little small for the it. Or is it the angle of the picture? Savage when you said a special 44, I was envisioning a different picture in my mind! :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS, you have got great taste in firearms as well as the ladies! That is one heck of a nice revolver, congratulations... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

gak wrote:Pitchy, if I beat him to it--yes the smaller "mid" frame as all New Vaqueros and (non .44 magnum) Flattops.

Turnbull must have taken advantage of the same "sale" pricing as he is selling the 4-5/8" with his CCH for $799, and an interesting "Carbona bronze" for $899. My 4-5/8" is begging for his CCH treatment and is where it's headed when funds are available.
Nice, thanks 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And on the Jan. 19th Colt patent date not only did the 44 Spl. Ruger arrive but I succeeded in relocating this fine lady after 30 years. Seems I drove almost right by her house in Las Vegas and played golf on a course 2 blocks from her.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You brought someone TO Kali? Oh, the humanity.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not so fast - I knew where she was 30 years ago, she stayed put for 10 years and then in 92 she left. I just managed to locate her yesterday in Las Vegas - I have been looking for her for some time. :) We explored some remote mountain areas back then in a 4x4 and some mining shafts. She had a lovely rustic hot tub and some delightful white wine.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hey old fanny burp, i mean old savage did ya get that new sixgun yet?
Now ya got me wanting one, of course i`m still a young fellar and need one more than you. :P :lol:

Edit to say ya know i`m just kidding OS, those look like one nice gun and might have to get one too.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Looks great! If it's half as nice as the flat top 44 Special that I bought, you'll love it! Same frame size.

Mine likes 250 grain keith lswc's with a good dose of Power Pistol.

Congrats!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a nice looking six gun!

I need to replace a .45 Colt Blackhawk that I sold last year. Haven't decided what to replace it
With yet but I like that Vaquero.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

2nd - one choice I was looking at was the SS Ruger New Vaquero with two cylinders - I had a Ruger 45 Convertible years ago and really liked it. Ruger has confused the terminology to some extent - my 44 Spl says Vaquero on it but is really a New Vaquero.

I just got such a good deal on the 44 I had to go with it. Always has seemed a good match to me and I think the New Vaquero will handle hotter loads in a 44 Spl than a 45 Colt. Not that I plan too much of that but 17.0 gr of 2400 behind a 240 is like low end 44 Mag.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

If you want a good listing of loads that this can handle, I recommend the article by Brian Pearce in Handloader for the 44 Special Flat Tops. I'd tell you the issue, but I can't find the mag... You can push a 240 grain XTP to 1190 with a top dose (19 grains) of H110/W296 - but that would shoot quite low to the sights on your Vaquero. I'd think that a more useful and more fun load would be with a 250 Keith boolit and Power Pistol - I don't remember the load but it's quite easy to push that to 950 fps. You can use Unique too but the Power Pistol operates at a lower pressure.

Wish I could find that mag...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks there O.S.O.K., I will look into that. I did a lot of loading including 11.0 gr of 2400 up to 17 in one grain increments with a stop at 12.5 which turned out to be the most accurate in my Model 24. And I do have 5 1/2" Flat top.

Here is a good article by Seyfried. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-se ... revolvers/

Some info from the Ruger Forum:

"Brian Pearce ran an article of higher-pressure .44 Special loads (June Handloader, issue #260). His recommended loads were tested in Lipsey’s .44 Special Flattop. With ~250grain cast loads, he shows a 2400 load @1211 fps, a AA-9 load @ 1205 fps. He also lists a Power Pistol recipe slightly in excess of 1000 fps that is still with SAAMI specs. His listed loads are for the Ruger…or guns of similar strength. As he specifically mentions the model 24/624 and the 696 in his article, I am trying to figure how my 696 compares to the Ruger .44 Special in terms of frame/cylinder strength.

Lane Pearce in the November 2009 Shooting Times, again with the Lipsey’s Ruger .44 Special, shows several hard-cast loads, 240-250 grain, using 2400 that fall between 1000-1100 fps."

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I like the Vaqueros too. Congratulations on yours and look forward to pictures! :) Preferably, being held by one of the ladies you keep company with! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well then - who should be the lucky lady to caress it's stainless steel curves? :)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Old Savage wrote:Well then - who should be the lucky lady to caress it's stainless steel curves? :)
Remember this is a family site. :P :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Well then - who should be the lucky lady to caress it's stainless steel curves? :)
Well, I've an idea on that 8) My favorite famous female
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe Buffalo Bore uses a lot of Power Pistol to attain good velocities at the lowest possible pressures. Their .44 Special is good stuff and works great in my Ruger .44 FTs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, broke Hobie's rule here and shot some of somebody else's reloads. I was not happy with the accuracy in my Ruger 5 1/2' Flat Top of a load that had been very accurate in a Model 24 but this load with jacketed bullets did very well - first shot my own lack of care.

Very happy to find a great load - this is only at 15 yds. We will see how the new Vaquero does before we decide who caresses it. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a picture of the Lipseys 44 Spl. - very nice pistol. One odd note, I think they used a regular old Vaquero loading gate as it does not match the contour of the cylinder.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Vaquero SS 44 Spl. (PIC ADDED)

Post by Pitchy »

The pistola is nice but the pretty gal thats holding it is hard to see. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:Here is a picture of the Lipseys 44 Spl. - very nice pistol. One odd note, I think they used a regular old Vaquero loading gate as it does not match the contour of the cylinder.
Well that got my curiosity going so I went and looked at my three New Vaqueros. The loading gate on all three fits and sits just a bit differently. On my Bisley .45 (purchased last year) it matches the contour of both the recoil shield and the cylinder perfectly. On my Montado .45 (about three years old) it sits just a bit proud of the cylinder but fits the frame nicely. And on my most recent, the Birdshead .45 ACP it sits a bit more proud of the cylinder and is a bit high at both the top and bottom with regards to the frame as well. It doesn't look bad as witnessed by my photo in the other thread, but now that you've pointed it out it's going to drive me nuts! Gee thanks Doc!! :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Send it over here on the bird :oo :D ps: s head, it won't bother me or you then.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You will love it!! Congrats!!
I have 6 SS Vaquaro`s In Pairs,
5 1/2" .44mag. (old Vaquaro)
5 1/2" .45 Colt (new Vaquaro)
4.6" .357 (new Vaquaro)
They are all great shooters.
Some are in this pic.
I need to update that picture to include about 6 more Ruger handguns. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hey, good group - let's see the rest.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm not a fan of the lockwork on the new Rugers - though I will admit it is better, safer and stronger. I just can't get by the lack of four clicks! Still, they sure do make wonderful guns! Congrats!!!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Congrats on the new .44 Fred. I have the bright stainless 7 1/2 inch "old" 44 mag Vaquero, most accurate of all my handguns. I also bought 4 5/8 "old" blue model Vaquero in .45, still unfired. Take a look at the .41 "Hunter" model, it comes in .45 and .44 also, really nice heavy piece. The feel of those in your hand is great. I have a .41
I think you will enjoy your new toy a long time. Waiting 10 days will also help you be more responsible and law abididng right?
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life