Gunshow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Gunshow

Post by Marlin32 »

I rarely attend gun shows, usual assault rifle stuff and junk. Every once in a while, a gun I am interested in and seller thinks it is worth a million dollars or there is something wrong with it.
Find the sellers generally unwilling to deal except on junk.

But knee is bad, can't bird hunt this last weekend and am bored out of my mind. So, going to gun show.

I have standing list of guns:
Marlin 336ER-buy if decent price category
Browning Citori Upland Special in 16ga
Browning BSS 12ga Sporter (or not necessarily sporter if good condition/price)
AND this year, maybe a 28ga Ruger since Ruger is going in the tank. THey will be over priced.
Colt Pocket Positive 32NP
TC 32 cal rifle
TC 54 Cal rifle

Last time I went, Marlin in 375, was fair price to if I remember, really good condition, but was not in the market for one at the time. Yep, am idiot.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gunshow

Post by 3leggedturtle »

There is a gunshow in Cheyenne, wish I could go to, there is one in Duluth that I wont make in time. Have fun and take it easy on your knee. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good luck on filling your bucket list.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Marlin32 wrote: since Ruger is going in the tank.
huh?
which tank? :?:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Went to the Tanner show in Denver yesterday. Don't think I have been in a gunshow in a long time that was that crowded. Narrow isles and people yapping, standing in the middle of the isle, instead of moving off to the side.

Glad to have walked out the door. Prices , for the most part, were $$$. A few good deals there. New EBR's for $590. Ruger #1 45-70 for $675
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Stopped going to gun shows. Used items selling for more than their brand new counterpart at retail stores :shock:
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Let me first say, no Concealed Weapons were allowed at the gun show. Yep, can walk right in with a gun as long as you stopped at the "gun check" table. You could also purchase any gun from a table, and walk around with it.

I chewed the guy out taking money, he said they have no choice, county building, I said you don't have to have your show here. Last time I give your organization money by attending a show here.

Any way, did see a Marlin 375. Wanted $895 for it, to me, didn't look like the wood on the stock matched the forend, I think it was re-stocked. Wasn't in bad condition, but not worth $895

a 33 WCF there, was $3800, must have been carried by someone important, because it wasn't worth $3800. That was okay, the 71 in 348 was $4100 and in worse condition.

Did have a 32 Colt, but just the Police Positive, 4" barrel, $300. Good price, appeared to be in good condition, but guy at table wouldn't cut the zip tie off of it to let me try the cylinder, action etc. I put it back and shook my head. Told me all I needed to know.
Win 9422 for $950 and it was far from NIB condition.

Just needed to re-affirm why I don't go to gunshows.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thunder50 wrote:Ruger #1 45-70 for $675
I'd probably be in trouble for buying that one if in decent shape.
Old Law Dawg
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Marlin32 wrote: Any way, did see a Marlin 375. Wanted $895 for it, to me, didn't look like the wood on the stock matched the forend, I think it was re-stocked. Wasn't in bad condition, but not worth $895

a 33 WCF there, was $3800, must have been carried by someone important, because it wasn't worth $3800. That was okay, the 71 in 348 was $4100 and in worse condition.

Did have a 32 Colt, but just the Police Positive, 4" barrel, $300. Good price, appeared to be in good condition, but guy at table wouldn't cut the zip tie off of it to let me try the cylinder, action etc. I put it back and shook my head. Told me all I needed to know.

That sounds pretty much like the gun shows around my neck of the woods. We normally have a few $300 used Remington 870 Expresses thrown in as well.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

What is happening at Ruger that I dont know about? Should I sell my stock in them now????
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin32 wrote:Let me first say, no Concealed Weapons were allowed at the gun show. Yep, can walk right in with a gun as long as you stopped at the "gun check" table. You could also purchase any gun from a table, and walk around with it.

I chewed the guy out taking money, he said they have no choice, county building, I said you don't have to have your show here. Last time I give your organization money by attending a show here.

Any way, did see a Marlin 375. Wanted $895 for it, to me, didn't look like the wood on the stock matched the forend, I think it was re-stocked. Wasn't in bad condition, but not worth $895

We have the same rule here, so I remove the magazine when I enter and put it in my pocket. Check my gun(s) in and walk around. When I exit I have them cut the tie, and I drop the mag back in. Really not a huge deal to me, a I seriously doubt I'd need to shoot inside a gun show.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Dumb statement not thinking you would need to shoot in there.
Where is it exactly you think you will need to shoot it? If you knew that you would stay away from there.

Hardly the point that it doesn't bother you, bothered me. A gun organization hosting an event in place where not allowed to bring in a Concealed weapon, but building full of weapons?

Fought long and hard to get CCW in this state, I do not do business with people who don't let me carry, especially an organization made up of gun owners.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I haven't been to a show anywhere in this area that didn't have "no loaded guns" at the entrance. I agree it's stupid, it's not like they're checking whether you're telling the truth so a criminal who wanted to could sneak a loaded gun in with less trouble than a ball game. It's just another way to hassle people doing something 'they' disapprove of, and the only place I'll still go that does that... hmmm, maybe I need to change that too.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

kimwcook, yeah, I almost took that 45-70 home, but been thinking about one of the 26" heavy barrel rifles instead. Now, if it have been a stainless/laminated for that price, it would have come home with me!!.

Passed up a stainless/laminated #1 that had been converted to 50 AK, by a gunsmith I knew. He was going to sell it to me for $700. Still kick myself on that one.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)