After market Marlin barresl?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

After market Marlin barresl?

Post by El Mac »

Anyone know of a good source for Marlin barrels (Ballard cut) to replace the micro-groove ones?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: After market Marlin barresl?

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know, but. . .

. . . you just know you're going to get a bunch of "Why would you want to do that...?" responses, so be prepared... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'v found barrels on the online auctions & once upon a time e-bay. You should be aware though that they dont necessarily headspace right. They set headspace at the factory with the locking lug, its ground to achieve headspace so its a toss up if a barrel swap will need a fatter or thinner locking lug. That said the newest one I had swapped, a 1998 guide gun, had no issues but all my older ones did. Might be coincidence or it might be tighter tolerances today in the manufacture of the bolts, recievers & barrels.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What mdl & cartridge would ye be wantin'?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Numrich Gun Parts.......

I bought a fw barrels from them and so far I've been lucky as all of them headspaced perfectly.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Not so much a cartridge change...mainly want the Ballard rifling as I've heard Micro-grooves don't handle lead cast rounds as well (?) and more importantly, I want the octagon shape.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Mac wrote:Not so much a cartridge change...mainly want the Ballard rifling as I've heard Micro-grooves don't handle lead cast rounds as well (?) and more importantly, I want the octagon shape.
I do know there's an article on the issue by Fryxell on the Leverguns board:
Glen Fryxell wrote:http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxe ... arrels.htm

"There has been a great deal of concern over the years about whether or not Microgroove rifling would shoot cast bullets well. One group of folks says that Microgroove rifles can't hit a barn from the inside with cast bullets, one group says that Microgroove barrels shoot cast just fine just so long as velocities are kept below 1600 fps, and one groups says that Microgroove barrels shoot cast just fine at full throttle. The key to success with cast bullets in a Marlin with Microgroove rifling is to keep in mind that these barrels tend to have oversized groove diameters, and that the grooves/lands are shallow. Therefore, in order to get proper engraving (and minimize "slippage" of the cast bullet as it enters the shallow rifling), it is necessary that the bullet completely fill up the groove diameter of the barrel, and engage the maximum amount of the driving surface of the lands. Since Microgroove barrels are commonly oversized, this means that the cast bullet must also be oversized to effectively "fill up" the grooves. Other factors that also contribute to good accuracy with cast bullet in Microgroove barrels are the use of a GC bullet (which helps to provide a better grip and seal), and making sure that bullet are cast hard enough for the application (generally a BHN of 12 or more)."
I share your like of the octagonal barrels, too. Whatever the shape of the barrel and whatever the type of rifling, I just wish you didn't have to use non-standard diameter bullets to get decent results from so many of the leverguns out there... :(
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

El Mac wrote:Not so much a cartridge change...mainly want the Ballard rifling as I've heard Micro-grooves don't handle lead cast rounds as well (?)

Wow really ?

I'm glad you brought that to my attention .

That means all those tagrets I shot over the last 12 years and all those deer I killed with Micro groove barrels and cast bullets were just plain luck :!:

Geeezzzz all those thousands of rounds I shot on paper showing excellent accuracy with Micro barrels and cast bullets were untrue ???????

I suppose I better sell all my molds and get a bunch of jacketed bullets or either sell the two dozen plus Micro Groove rifles I have and get a couple with ballard barrels .

BOTTOM LINE ; I don't see either of the above happening . And until you try it for yourself don't believe it !

But what the hell do I know after shooting so many many cast bullets in Micro barrels !

And without me asking "why would you want to do that" !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you want octagon barrels I suggest you sell the rifles you already have and buy some of the nice used 1895CB , 1894CB or 336CB rifles floating around the internet auctions for sale .
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

6pt-sika wrote:
El Mac wrote:Not so much a cartridge change...mainly want the Ballard rifling as I've heard Micro-grooves don't handle lead cast rounds as well (?)

Wow really ?

That means all those tagrets I shot over the last 12 years and all those deer I killed with Micro groove barrels and cast bullets were just plain luck :!:

Geeezzzz all those thousands of rounds I shot on paper showing excellent accuracy with Micro barrels and cast bullets were untrue ???????

I suppose I better sell all my molds and get a bunch of jacketed bullets or either sell the two dozen plus Micro Groove rifles I have and get a couple with ballard barrels .

BOTTOM LINE ; I don't see either of the above happening . And until you try it for yourself don't believe it !

But what the hell do I know after shooting so many many cast bullets in Micro barrels !

Wow. Where did that come from? I never made the claim, only reported that I've heard of it. No offense to you was ever meant or offered.

I have CB levers in several different calibers. However, I have one, the first one I ever owned that I received when I was 14 that I want to convert to octagon shaped barrel. Because that is the barrel profile I prefer. I am not willling to sell the rifle however.

I thought my question was a reasonable one. Sorry it offended you so.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

El Mac wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Wow really ?

Wow. Where did that come from? I never made the claim, only reported that I've heard of it. No offense to you was ever meant or offered.

I have CB levers in several different calibers. However, I have one, the first one I ever owned that I received when I was 14 that I want to convert to octagon shaped barrel. Because that is the barrel profile I prefer. I am not willling to sell the rifle however.

I thought my question was a reasonable one. Sorry it offended you so.
Wouldn't say it offended me , just gave an answer that I thought was kinda tongue in cheek so to speak !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

El Mac, if you'll get a copy of Veral Smith's book on cast bullets he compares the Microgroove barrels to Harry Pope's barrels. He says the Marlin barrel of today is as close to a Pope barrel as any modern manufacturer can make. It will shoot a properly fit cast bullet as good as any.
Just in case you want to shoot cast while your waiting on your new barrel.

Good Luck :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Rusty wrote:El Mac, if you'll get a copy of Veral Smith's book on cast bullets he compares the Microgroove barrels to Harry Pope's barrels. He says the Marlin barrel of today is as close to a Pope barrel as any modern manufacturer can make. It will shoot a properly fit cast bullet as good as any.
Just in case you want to shoot cast while your waiting on your new barrel.

Good Luck :D
Thanks Rusty! I appreciate that...good info to know.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about getting one of the new/used octagonal-barrel ones you see on occasion, and just swapping barrels, so you have the heirloom gun you want, with the type of barrel you want. You could even put your old barrel on the octagonal's receiver, and either re-sell that one, or just use it for a shooter as well.

Either way - good luck.

I wasn't intending to be onery by posting the Fryxell article link, but it seemed to offer some good information on Micro-groove barrels.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:I wasn't intending to be onery by posting the Fryxell article link, but it seemed to offer some good information on Micro-groove barrels.
The folks who are at fault are some of the "old geezers" that wrote that BS 40 years ago and I'd be willing to bet half of them didn't even try !

I was of that opinion based on what I read until Ranch Dog showed me the error of my ways !

Now I will say in my own trials and tribulations that I DO need a ballard barrel for the anything over 375 grains in the 444 . But I wouldn't swear that isn't more a matter of a faster twist rather then the type rifling .

All ya gotta know is keep the bullets a couple thousandths oversize . The pushing them hard and making the alloy harder doesn't come into play until you start getting a good bit overweight .

In stuff like the 30-30 , 35 REM , 356 WIN , 375 WIN I didn't need to water quench my alloy of WW's and I didn't need to push them hard to get acceptable accuracy .

Only time hardness was an issue was when pushing big bullets in the 444 and 45-70 with Micro barrels . In the case of the 444 anything over 315-320 grains needed to be water quenched and pushed hard to stabalize the bullet .In the last two seasons I've killed a bear and a couple deer with 375 grainers shot in slow twist Micro 444's which up until recently i do not believe had been tried . Now I seriousely doubt if there's a need for what I was doing but thats neither here nor there .

Other then those two i never really had any issue with Micro barrels .
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

6pt-sika wrote:

Wow really ?

Well Stated! I started casting in the early 1970's, bought a 45-70 new in 1981, and started casting for it. Since then I've cast for numerous 30-30's, and 35 Remingtons as well. All shot just as good as my jacketed rounds. Back then I never realized there was supposed to be a microgroove problem. Microgroove myth, I call it, and lately don't use jacketed bullets for much of anything. You just have to pay attention while working up a load, and when you come up with a good one, rifle by rifle, write it down and use it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you've had the Marlin in question since you were 14, I'd guess you already know how well the Microgroove barrels shoots. As for octagon shaped barrels, you may be abble to find a takeoff on one of the gun auction sites, or buy a octagon from Marlin today and have it fitted by a good gunsmith.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
LGS
Levergunner

Post by LGS »

I just received my 444 Marlin back from Marlin repair shop. I had the Micro-groove barrel replaced with a Ballard rifled one. They charged me $155 which included parts, labor and return shipping. Only problem was I asked them to return my old barrel. They did not return it. Only shot it at 50 yards so far but all went into less then an 1". 280gr LFN at 2000 fps. Just call costomer sevice and tell them what you want. Sent mine out on Dec 16 and recived it back on Feb 10.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Here's a list of barrel mfg's for you to check out. Maybe one sells Marlin barrels.
http://www.b2bmanufacturers.com/manufac ... state.html
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

LGS wrote:I just received my 444 Marlin back from Marlin repair shop. I had the Micro-groove barrel replaced with a Ballard rifled one. They charged me $155 which included parts, labor and return shipping. Only problem was I asked them to return my old barrel. They did not return it. Only shot it at 50 yards so far but all went into less then an 1". 280gr LFN at 2000 fps. Just call costomer sevice and tell them what you want. Sent mine out on Dec 16 and recived it back on Feb 10.
Were you happy with their work? I've heard their QC is a bit spotty since the big move...
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

LGS wrote:I just received my 444 Marlin back from Marlin repair shop. I had the Micro-groove barrel replaced with a Ballard rifled one. They charged me $155 which included parts, labor and return shipping. Only problem was I asked them to return my old barrel. They did not return it. Only shot it at 50 yards so far but all went into less then an 1". 280gr LFN at 2000 fps. Just call costomer sevice and tell them what you want. Sent mine out on Dec 16 and recived it back on Feb 10.

Wow, better price than I would have suspected...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I thought this was going to be an M1 Garand thread. :wink:

Slow is just slow.