Gatling gun from SHOT show -- in .45-70!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Gatling gun from SHOT show -- in .45-70!

Post by alnitak »

Report from the SHOT show:

"While not new or even in production, one of the coolest items that was made available for shooting is a bull pup Gatling gun from the 1800s.

Colt brought this beautiful firearm to the event along with 5000 rounds of 45-70 ammunition to be run through it."
gat 1.jpg
gat 2.jpg
I didn't realize that the .45-70 was used in Gatling guns. Of course, a little time spent on Google found this and educated me more:

"The first Gatling Guns were chambered for the .58 caliber Springfield Rifle-Musket's PAPER cartridges. The paper cartridges were inserted into primed steel cases, I believe the cases were reusable. These cartridges were very delicate and the guns were somewhat unreliable. That is why they were not officially adopted by the US Army during the War Between the states.

The second model Gatling Gun was chambered for a rimfire cartridge, I believe it was the .58 US Musket Rimfire, and was finally adopted in 1866. The guns were still somewhat less than perfectly reliable.

Sometime shortly after the adoption of the .45-70-405 Government Cartridge (centerfire) was adopted in 1873, the Gatling Gun was also chambered for the .45-70 round. Most of the reliability bugs were also worked out by this time.

All subsequent Gatling Guns purchased by the US Military Establishment were chambered for .45-70, with a number of different loadings available. I've shot a .45-70 Gov't Gatling Gun cartridge loaded with a 750 grain full-metal jacket and it kicked like a mule.

The Gatling Gun was also adopted by the British Royal Army and Royal Navy in the 1870's and continued in use throught the 1890's.

British Gatling Guns were chambered in either .577/.450 Martini-Henry, or .303 Enfield calibers. They were widely used during the Colonial Wars in Africa, India, and Malaysia. Quite often Gatling Guns and Gun Crews were detached from Royal Navy ships and sent into the field with the Army.

In addition to the American and British adoption, I'm uncertain what other countries adopted the Gatling Gun. I have seen photos of or read about Gatlings Chambered in 7x57mm Mauser, and I believe I've read mention of Gatlings chambered for 10.75x58R Russian Berdan and either 11.15x58R (.43) Spanish Remington, or 11.15x60R Mauser. And of course ther are modern made Gatling Gun reproductions that are chambered for the .22 LR rimfire."

So, it sounds like this particular Gatling was manufactured in 1873 or later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Gatling gun from SHOT show -- in .45-70!

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting, I didn't know British Gatling guns were made in .303 or the first ones used paper cartridges.

That's what I love about this forum, I learn something every time I log on.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Per Buffalo Arms, Colt will make a limited run for US $49,999.00:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Colt_1877_Ga ... x?CAT=4609

All it takes is US $5,000.00 deposit….

From what I have read, the US Navy utilized 1" Gatlings to clears mines. USN also unsuccessfully fired the Gatling with an electric motor. I also have seen pictures of US Army Gatlings and accompanying ammunitions crates in in 30-40 caliber.

The Gatling still lives: think of the GE Mini-gun, the 20mm Vulcan and their clones.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
plstktnkr2
Levergunner

Post by plstktnkr2 »

nevermind
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

RayNeuman said, in part: "The Gatling still lives: think of the GE Mini-gun, the 20mm Vulcan and their clones."

Don't forget about Dillon Precission's electric gatlins mounted on many air frames of the U.S. military.

rimrock
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wonder if those were the same guns used in "Top Shot"? Bullpup Gatlings are not nearly as common as their big brother.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

alnitak wrote: Colt brought this beautiful firearm to the event along with 5000 rounds of 45-70 ammunition to be run through it."
Well, that would cover my shooting for the day. How much are they bringing for everyone else? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Does anyone have drawings of the bullpup? It looks marvelous.