What about the Spencer clone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

What about the Spencer clone?

Post by hightime »

I'm looking at the Armi Sports Spencer 56-50. I am suspicious about quality and depenability. I've heard about an issue with one of these in a 45 Colt. I don't see one offered in the 45 C now. I thought if I could get the 45 , I would. I'm not so sure. the 56-50 intrigues me. Can You guys give me guidance? Is this a cal. I could reload and cast for? Would it be any fun to shoot?
I'd feel better if Pederosoli or Uberti made it.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hightime on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What about the Spencer clone?

Post by perry owens »

If I were to get a Spencer clone it would be the 56-50 because it is an original calibre, but I already have two original Spencers and the wife is getting suspicious. There is a dedicated Spencer forum here http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0
Starline make 56-50 brass that cycles through the Armi Sport Spencers and bullets and moulds are available from Buffalo Arms and others. If you want to use it for CAS you will look cool but won't win anything as the Spencer is too slow to cycle and only holds 7 rounds.
I have a couple of Spencer related videos on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHw2qwI ... ature=plcp
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for the links. I'll go back and read them. Is Armi the only clone?

Thanks again Perry. It will be summer before I get one. I'll shout it out when I get one.

Owen
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

hightime wrote:Thanks for the links. I'll go back and read them. Is Armi the only clone?

Owen
Larry Romano is a US maker of Spencer clones. His products are top quality but priced accordingly.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hightime: Stick with the Armi Sport in .56-50 and you are golden. I have had two of them and had a ball with both. I used a modified Lee bullet mould and the excellent Starline brass and found the Spencer very easy to feed. I wish I could have afforded to keep one. A friend kills his Montana whitetail with an Armi Spencer almost every year. Armi Sport is actually one of the better Italian builders. If it were Armi Chiappa, I would be worried.

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for the info. Bill. They do sound like something I'd be after. I started a thread ''I thought I was done collecting" . Now look at me I've got it bad. Although it's still 1800's guns, that's good.

Owen
Last edited by hightime on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Owen, there's just nothing quite like the businesslike heft of a Spencer, and oh what history these guns made!
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Hightime: Stick with the Armi Sport in .56-50 and you are golden. I have had two of them and had a ball with both. I used a modified Lee bullet mould and the excellent Starline brass and found the Spencer very easy to feed. I wish I could have afforded to keep one. A friend kills his Montana whitetail with an Armi Spencer almost every year. Armi Sport is actually one of the better Italian builders. If it were Armi Chiappa, I would be worried.

So far as I know, Armi Sport and Chiappa are one and the same company.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/armi-sport
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Cimarron Firearms seems to have pretty high standards and they sell two types of Spencers, although they may be made by Armi Sports for all I know. See http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... pencer.htm
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

On Buffalo Arms site they say the Cimerons are made by Armi.

Owen