Gun show negotiations were to no effect in Dallas....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Gun show negotiations were to no effect in Dallas....

Post by 86er »

One of the best gun shows at Dallas Market Hall was experienced yesterday. However, with several attempts to buy none of the dealers would take my money. I thought I was reasonable but they held on to their guns. First, a Remington 11 (plain 12g in well used cond.) It was marked $269 +tax. I offered $200 and the dealer countered with $269 no tax. Well you are or are not going to give TX their share and it is or is not a private sale. I countered with $225 total and the dealer stopped and left it at "I cant do that". Luckily my friend Sam overheard me. He took the $200 from my hand and said "If you want to pay $200 for an 11 I'll send you one. Then, a no-brand single shot 410 hammer marked $160. I offered $100 and the dealer said $150 was rock bottom he would take. Bye Bye. Lastly, a Winchester 59 that was not marked. I asked "how much" and was told "what's it worth to you". $200 was my opener. The dealer said he did not know what it is worth but arbitrarily had $300 in mind. I repeated $200 and he just shook his head No. No negotiation at all. Oh well, I did not drag a gun home from Dallas but I do have a nice 11 on its way!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gun show negotiations were to no effect in Dallas....

Post by cshold »

Joe ya gotta start using that celebrity status a little. 8)
A picture of the dealer selling a gun to a country music star displayed
on his sales table should be good advertisement for him. :idea:
Heck you should have gotten a gun of your choice for 50% off. :)
Teek
Levergunner

Post by Teek »

I haven't been to a Dallas Market Hall Gun Show in a while, but I guess it depends on what you want and how bad you want it. I think I got my discontinued Winchester 94 "youth" carbine in .357 magnum at that show a few years back. No, it wasn't a great deal, but it was fair, IMO. It's too bad dealers won't move on price as much as they used to. It takes a lot of the fun of even showing up at gun shows.

Teek
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Sounds about like the gunshows around here. About the best you can get anyone to do is their asking price OTD. Thank the Lord for a couple good dealers though. If I see something I like I ask em what kinda deal they can make, they pull out their book and a calculator and shoot me a price. Most of the time it's more than fair and sometimes less than I was thinkin. The other 90%? Blah.

LK
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

There must be enough buyers to discourage dealers from 'dealing". My only gun show experience last year was in Lubbock two weeks ago. Lots of lookers and dealers. I did buy a used Tasco 4-16x40 scope that cost me more than a new one, I should have done research before going. I think that is the best way on these gun shows. Know what you want do research ahead of time. The Mosin Nagants I have been looking at were lots more expensive than gun store prices.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Horse tradin' ain't what it used to be :(

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ranger wrote:Horse tradin' ain't what it used to be :(

Wade
That's no joke right there. :(

FWIW Joe, my buddy and I struck out Saturday at that show as well. We both had something to sell/trade and could barely get the time of day from most dealers. When we go, we usually bat .500. It's really unusual for both of us to get skunked.

The DACA show is usually the best one around here, I hope this was just a glitch.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I quit going to that show some 15 years ago... for that very reason. Mesquite ain't near as big, nor as much stuff... but usually something piques my interest. Fort Worth is better'n Market Hall... even if it is two counties away! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If they haven't a fleeping clue and want to cast a line to suckers they have no business with a sales table. Dealing is part of the excitement and sellers with inflexible prices do not belong in the business. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Problem is business is good for the dealers. I overheard the owner of my favorite gun shop in Tucson on the phone with someone behind the counter the other day: "What's that?...Oh yes, business is good....Well, it seems like everyone is interested in guns these days and I just happen to be fortunate to be in business at this time....Sorry I can't be more flexible on that price but just let us know if there's anything else we can do for you."

Thank goodness he's also the only shop in town that doesn't have gouge pricing on everything (his used guns tend to be very fairly priced). But gun shows? Hugely disappointing. Zero good deals these days and the "dealers" there dont.

Show us the 11 when it comes in! :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't go to many anymore.I can usually find better,cheaper on the "internet" gunshow everyday of the week. and I don't have to deal with real self appointed experts that have a bunch of "rare" stuff. I wiil give credit where due though..... these Guys sure know how to pack up all that stuff and move on. :) .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep no dealin any more. :( I went into a local shop here a while back and made an offer on a shotgun. The fellow behind the counter said sorry, I ain't dealin on nothing. Now that Obama's in office people are buying up every gun they can.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

+1 on what Griff said. The Ft Worth gun show has always been better for me than the one in Dallas market Hall (lots to look at, but rarely bought anything).

Last Dallas gun show for me was many months back where a seller with a few tables full of goodies saw me handle a .450 NE double rifle and put the hard sell on me. I returned the rifle to the table and told him thank you,I was just looking and trying the weight and balance. When he persisted, I informed him that I already had an 1886 .45-90 rifle and really did not need another .45 cal rifle. When he made fun of my "obsolete black powder" rifle and said it was not really good for shooting large and dangerous game, I just thanked him and walked on. This 1886 is the one that 86er knocked down an elephant with in Africa, where he also killed a leopard with it. :roll:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Had gun luck at the Wasilla High school gunshow yesterday: wanted a .357 for my son...found a mint condition 6" stainless ruger security six.....he was asking 325, offered 275, got it for 285$ a good price around here.
another fellow had a stainless pietta 1858 remington repro, the target version with adjustable sights, 3 extra cylinder sand a fitted conversion cylinder for the 45 colt cartridge.....asking 400$ sold it to me for 325$
these two will be fun for me and my son!
cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What can you say - you didn't get the guns and he didn't get the sale.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hfcable wrote:the Wasilla High school gunshow
i gotta move to alaska. :mrgreen:

a gun near a school around here is very alarming to the sheep. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

hfcable wrote:Had gun luck at the Wasilla High school gunshow yesterday: wanted a .357 for my son...found a mint condition 6" stainless ruger security six.....he was asking 325, offered 275, got it for 285$ a good price around here.
People around here seem to think they're made of gold. I've been wanting one for years, but they are hard to find and people want a bunch for them. I'd prefer a 4" barrel, but I'd have jumped all over that one for $285. Good find IMO.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pokey wrote:

+1 big time. And SC is a gun-friendly state!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nothing wrong with a $200 model 11, you will enjoy it. I just sold my 99c, was asking $500 buyer offered $450 I came back with $475 and he accepted. That was my target price anyway, both people were happy. I haven't had much luck at shows either, all the sellers were waiting for the uninformed. (sucker)
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't find many good deals at shows these days, but I like to go just to look. The few deals I have found have been from private sellers on the last day of the show when it gets close to closing time. Some people think they're gonna get high dollar, but when they sit there for 2 days and don't sell anything, they are a little more willing to negotiate. The dealers aren't usually as willing to negotiate, in my experience, because they just pack everything up and take it back to the shop where it sits till it sells.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

pokey wrote:

u would be welcomed here n feel right at home!
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I kind of like the one in Mesquite and the one in Ft. Worth at the Will Rogers center better than the one at Market Hall. Just my experience, but the one at Market Hall does seem a little pricey and not willing to negotiate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Come to My table, I will cut You a deal . I like the ones that say "that Guy over there has the same thing for $100 cheaper" OK- Ur point being. Heck 86, I sold a mod 11 for $150. I have another one that I will let go for $1000.
Colusa Fairgrounds Jan 21 & 22
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif