Best knife to go with your levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Here are two custom Bowies I've had made:

Collaboration Bowie by Dan Koster, the Damascus Steel was made by Clint Chisan.
(hopefully one of these picture links will work)
http://www.hunt101.com/data/555/thumbs/ ... _Bowie.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=451501&size=1

I placed my order for this knife a week ago from David Wesner at Kelsey Creek Knife Works:
Birdseye Fighter/Camp Knife
http://www.kelseycreekknifeworks.com/files/BEF1.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. if you want to go all-out on the Koster Bowie, here is his original Collaboration Bowie:
http://www.kosterknives.com/damabowie.jpg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

PaperPatch wrote:The Buck 110 and a Wyoming knife, always come along when hunting.

You should do a separate topic on that Wyoming Knife. I have one, a gift, and would like to hear about others' use thereof. I've got a few knives...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This is a drop point hunter from IRBI Knives of Moose Pass, Alaska (near Seward). I picked it up while on vacation back in "92
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I'm a hunter. I have no use for a fighting knife. I need a skinning knife like one of my Nessmuks.

I once owned this old Puma Bowie. It was a good knife.

Last edited by Swampman on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Old Savage wrote:Or this handy combo - Dozier K7 and a Gerber LST.

OS, I've carried an identical Gerber w/o the emblem on the blade for a number of years. Before 9/11 I was easily able to get it on a plane. Haven't tried since then though. Nice pocket knife, very handy.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Noah Zark wrote:
meanc wrote:Ka-bar... the knife for all occasions :D

[larry] I don't care what you say, that there's a really nice photo there. [/larry]

Noah
It really is, even my wife liked it.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Here are a couple I made.

This one is made from an old Cat Q225.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Swampman, I like your Nessmuk's collection. I'm a big fan of him as well. I'm trying to put together a set of gear based on his writings.
Are you also on the Hoodlums site?

Scott Gossman makes some good knives as well.
http://www.gossmanknives.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Swampman wrote:I'm a hunter. I have no use for a fighting knife. I need a skinning knife like one of my Nessmuks.

Swampman -

I really like that old book on Woodcraftf by Nessmuk. Could you please tell me in what chapter he discusses using the GPS you have in picture 1 above?

Just kidding. Couldn't pass up giving you a ribbing. Nice knives and tools in all your photos.
ED
Yer never too old
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I'm totally in love with these BEAR Damascus blade stag handle Bowies.
One day it shall be mine, but for now I use a BEAR Damascus gut-hook my Dad got me 20 years ago, holds an edge forever and it's just a nice knife (thanks Dad).
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Tycer wrote:My cousin Art Tycer makes great knives. His Bowie's and fighters are great, and if you like Damascus.....

http://www.tycerknives.com/
Nice Knives... WHICH TYCER CAME FIRST? :wink:
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I like to carry a pocket knife with my M39.

No I don't carry this one (15 inch open), but have had a knife in my pocket since I was 8yo.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Image This works for me! :)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Thanks for posting the Hi pics Noah! I suppose they would go better with an Enfield...

:D

take care,

Tom
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Here are a couple I made.

Dang, Grizzly, those sure are pretty knives! Wish I knew how to make 'em like that. What part of NM are you in?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

HillbillyGadget wrote:Swampman, I like your Nessmuk's collection. I'm a big fan of him as well. I'm trying to put together a set of gear based on his writings.
Are you also on the Hoodlums site?

Scott Gossman makes some good knives as well.
http://www.gossmanknives.com/
I am a Hoodlum. Scott Gossman made the knife laying on the Nessmuk book.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mike S.

No doubt it would be the evil box cutter. I won that knife at the first Antelope Valley Rocky Mountain ElK banquet. Come to think of it, I dressed out two Wyoming antelope with it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Was able to get some pic's taken of my knives, I made these.

A heavy duty survival type knife;

I made this one for SASS matches;
ImageImage
Old Law Dawg
Mtn Hawk
Levergunner

Post by Mtn Hawk »

cowboykell wrote:Is there any practical use for a "Bowie" knife, other than a poor substitute for a machete?
Yes, a Bowie knife is a poor substitute for a machete, but they are two completely different tools, designed for different purposes.

If I were limited to carrying one edged tool in mountain and desert environments it would be a big chopping knife (around 10" blade) of the highest quality I could find. I wouldn't even consider a machete.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Except for fighting, the Bowie is usless IMO. What you need is a Hudson Bay Camp Knife by Dean Hazuka.

http://montanaamericana.com/

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

shooter wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:Here are a couple I made.

Dang, Grizzly, those sure are pretty knives! Wish I knew how to make 'em like that. What part of NM are you in?
Thanks, Shooter. :) I am in Magdalena, NM. That's on 60 just West of Socorro.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love the Grohmann products and today I bought, on impulse :oops: , one of these...

While I didn't steal it, I got it for $9 less than I could find it elsewhere and I didn't have to pay shipping. No, I don't NEED it but I just couldn't help myself. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I like those too.

jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

kimwcook,

nice bowie's! Since I see a maker's mark on your knives, I assume you sell them also. How much for that SASS Bowie? Me likey!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jfwlb wrote:kimwcook,

nice bowie's! Since I see a maker's mark on your knives, I assume you sell them also. How much for that SASS Bowie? Me likey!
+1 Beautiful! Send me a pm if you do sell them! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Slamming a bowie knife? Them's fighting words!Image
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Grizzly,

I've been through Socorro more times than I would like to count the last couple of months. I've been back and forth from Roswell to TorC, and from TorC to Alb. getting construction supplies. We built the new Human Services building in TorC. I can't say that I like that part of the country too much. Of course I don't like Roswell too much either. I'd rather live in the mountains.

Your knives are still pretty though. Did you grind them or do you have a forge? If you ground them, what did you use? I've got a bunch of old files that are screamin' to be made into knives, but I just haven't had the time. I saw a book one time, something like "50 dollar knifemaking" or something along those lines. Do you or anyone else have any recommendations as far as books go? I'm looking for simple techniques for my first try, and maybe get more advanced as I get better.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

What good is a bowie? To stick hogs all the way to the heart! If you cut the throat they splatter blood all over you. Step on the side of their throat and ram it home. If you shoot them at close range when their wounded you have a messy situation too.
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks guys for your compliments. I recently moved and don't have a shop, let alone a shop set up. I'm trying to rectify that as I can't live without a shop. When I get going again I'll let everyone know. In fact, everyone here would probably get a shot at them first as I don't go to shows or have a website. All the other knives I've made are sold by word of mouth. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

And as far as bowies being compared to other knives, there's not one knife that will do it all. If you have a knife for general duties it's a compromise of design, it will incorporate different attributes from different designs. A bowie is no different, it was designed as a fighting tool. A camp knife is for using around the camp, etc.. It depends on what you want to do with it and, possibly, if it's asthetically appealing, just because. :D
Old Law Dawg
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-cl ... php/cat/11

Try the link above, you may have to be a member of the forum for access, I am not sure. I have a nice bowie project that I am working on right now, making a bowie from a horse rasp. Still lookin for the right handle material for it. Hopefully I will find a nice shed that will fit the bill.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I have two 'go to' knives that I carry on my gunbelt when I'm out levergunning.

One is a KA-BAR Hunter, a 4 3/4", leather-washer gripped hunting knife. I won it in the county employee's 'safety' drawing--once a month all county employees were entered into a drawing, and you got to pick a prize from a marketing catalogue. In the catalogue, it looked BIG, like a USMC KA-BAR, but it is rather small and handy.

BTW, when my prize arrived at the range, I had to take it home on my lunch break, because all employees of Broward County (even at the gun range) were prohibited from possessing knives or other weapons as part of a 'violence-fee workplace zero tolerance' policy. (Seems the guns all over the shooting benches were okay.)

My other knife is a bone-handled Marble's 'Cowboy', a beautiful, thick-bladed cross between a trade knife and a skinning knife. Plenty of handle to hold onto, and a razor-sharp, flat-ground edge that I could shave with. Not stainless, so I keep it inside during nasty weather.