Soule Sights Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Soule Sights Question

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some input on Soule tang sights for an 1885 High wall I am in the process of buying.

Has anyone had any experience with the sights made by Lee Shaver?

They look ok to me, but I was wondering if any of you fine young men are using one of Mr Shavers sights.

Hoping you can help.

Pop.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Soule Sights Question

Post by Shasta »

I have two Lee Shaver Soule tang sights, an Economy model with added Hadley eyecup mounted on an Italian Sharps, and a Super Grade model (comes standard with Hadley eyecup) mounted on a Browning BPCR highwall. They are both good, useable sights, but with their rough finish and dull blueing they lack the fine appearance of the Montana Vintage Arms sights. Also I find the vernier scale difficult to see on the Shaver sights as they lack good contrast.

If you prefer economy over appearance, the Lee Shaver will do OK, but I personally believe the exact fit, function, and finish of MVA sights is worth the additional cost.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:If you prefer economy over appearance, the Lee Shaver will do OK, but I personally believe the exact fit, function, and finish of MVA sights is worth the additional cost.
SHASTA
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have a Lee Shaver globe foresight on my Shiloh Sharps. The level is inside the globe, which helps reduce glare.For the tang sight I chose a Ukrainian-made Soule sight from Parts Unknown in Canada. It's machined from solid, has graduations on both sides of the staff, a central elevation screw and Hadley eye cup. Had it for 6 years and it has been perfect. These are now sold by Buffalo Arms under the Red River brand name and are about the same price as Lee Shaver.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I have a set of each and both are very good. As stated, the MVA has a better finish. However, the Lee Shaver sight is probably as functional as the MVA. If I were putting it on a gun I was shooting competition with, and wanted it to look really nice, I'd get the MVA. If I were putting it on a gun I just wanted to shoot and have a really good sight on, I'd get the Lee Shaver. Both are excellent companies to do business with. (You pay a premium for the MVA. Good, but expensive.)