1873 Tang Sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
38-55
Levergunner

1873 Tang Sights

Post by 38-55 »

I still haven't decided if I am going to put a Marbles tang sight on my new Cimarron 1873 rifle. For those of you that use a tang sight, does the sight interfere with where you put your thumb? I would think that it would be in the way, especially when folded down (I'm thinking of also having a folding sight to replace the buckhorn rear sight if possible). I have never shot a lever action with a tang sight and am not sure it is what i really want. I may just keep the buckhorns and change the front sight to a small gold bead. Please share your experiences :)

Rick
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 Tang Sights

Post by Borregos »

I really like tang sights and have just put a lyman on my Uberti 73.
They do not get in the way of my thumb but I always shoot with my thumb along the wrist, not round it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

Yeah, I may have to revise my shooting style
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have a Uberti rifle with the Marble's tang sight, I shoot a lot of metallic silhouette with it, has never got in the way of my thumb.

Trying to figure out why you would want to fire the rifle with the sight folded down.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a Marble's tang sight on a 1950 1894 Winchester 30-30 that has been on the carbine since 1958, don't seem to have a problem with it. Actually, I can't say where my thumb goes when I throw the gun to my shoulder, it's just never been a problem. Find someone that has one on a rifle and try it, then you will know.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

I was thinking I could use the tang sight for longer range shooting and have a folding rear sight for shorter distances. That may not be practical :?:
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

+1.......I think I'm attracted to the tang sight for target shooting and maybe longer hunting shots with good light. Low light short range I fold it down. My thumb over the peep is OK.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have a Marbles tang sight and a Marbles folding barrel sight on my original 1873. Up front I have a Beeches combination sight. For CAS I fold the tang sight down and put my thumb over it - don't even notice it's there, I use the folding sight and the front blade. I use the tang sight and post for CAS side matches or shooting a Texas star.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

Thanks guys. Hightime- is that a Marbles or a Lyman sight on your '73?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Lyman, but here's the problem. I buy Lymans because of cost and they have no windage adjustment. On three guns now I've had to add thin brass shims under the edge to get them to stand where they need to be. Funny thing is one was a Winchester 94, one a Uberti Henry and this one on the Uberti 1873. All need the shim under the left edge. Once set they seem to stay just fine.

Owen
38-55
Levergunner

Post by 38-55 »

Thanks. I think I'm going to wait until I can afford the Marbles sight!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have the marbles on both of my Uberty 73`s .
I also shoot with my thumb along side of the wrist.
For cowboy action I leave the aperture out and use it like a ghost ring. I never miss a rifle shot at CAS if the front is on target. :wink:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What Chuck100yd said! In order to shoot and lever quickly you don't have time to wrap the thumb over the stock when shooting CAS.
On my 86 I use the Marbles and the original open sight to get two range settings. Barrel sight regulated at 100 yards and the tang sight at 200. There is enough difference that I don't need to fold the open sight.
I would be willing to try the Lyman especially since I saw one on e-bay for $31.50.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS