Hold Me Back, Tell Me It's Not Worth It...Eastern Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Hold Me Back, Tell Me It's Not Worth It...Eastern Carbine

Post by CBinNH »

I have been looking at an 1894 carbine that I believe is a true "Eastern Carbine". Made in 1915. 32 Special. No blue left on the receiver. Thinning blue on mag tube & barrel. Has the 2/3 or 3/4 mag tube. No saddle ring. Carbine ladder type rear sight & carbine front. Shotgun butt. Walnut. Bore looks dirty, but good rifling, no pitting I can see. Action is smooth & tight, better than some newer ones I have fondled. Now, the bad news. The fore end has a crack by the barrel band 3" long & there is a piece of wood about a 1/4" wide & 5" long missing from the butt stock on it's underside. Tell me it isn't worth the $450 asking price & keep on walking in the other direction, please.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hold Me Back, Tell Me It's Not Worth It...Eastern Carbine

Post by awp101 »

If you can get it for $150, it's worth it.

There, did that help? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
1894c

Post by 1894c »

awp101 wrote:If you can get it for $150, it's worth it.

There, did that help? :lol:
That's good advice--but I would say $200.00--250.00 and look at it as a rescue and then a project... :)
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

It's not worth it,It's not worth it, so when are you picking it up?Actually I don't know what it is worth but if it is calling your name and you plan to have it for a while you could break even down the road.Just saying-not that I'm an enabler or anything.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

It all depends how bad you want it. How often you do see a "true eastern carbine" these days? I haven't in awhile.

Mainehunter :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, it ain't worth it. Where did you say it was?
But, yes, if you can pick it up for under $300, it'd make for a nice wood refinishing project... as long as you think it'll be a shooter. I always thought the "Eastern Carbine" had a full length mag tube.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The only difference between the "Western" and "Eastern" carbines is the inclusion of a sling ring on the Out West model. Also, many of "Eastern" ones have shotgun butts, while the other variety has the old curved carbine butt plate. Either can have button, 1/2, 3/4 or full length tubes. The commonest by far is the full mag. The .32 WS is the least popular caliber of "collectible" '94s.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

It would be worth it to me. I'd buy it and try to repair the stock/fore end. Great gun and cartridge.

I have an 1894 with saddle ring, shotgun butt and full-length mag tube in .32WS. I love that gun. Mine is a low six digit gun that dates from 1906 or so.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

model55 wrote:Just saying-not that I'm an enabler or anything.
Yeah. Right. Sure. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

It sounds pretty appealing to me.
Last edited by damienph on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I would be tempted for sure :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

The short mag tube would be why I would buy it, if I decided to buy it. If you like it and can afford, I'd buy it. Tell everybody you talked him down to $300. Then you can brag about your good deal. Be sure and post a pic
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ I have been looking at an 1894 carbine that I believe is a true "Eastern Carbine". Made in 1915. 32 Special.]

FWIW, The period in which EASTERN CARBINES were shipped ran from 1905 (starting @ SN 300,000) for 20 years to 1925 (ending @ SN 958,700).

mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

CB,
My thought would be that if you like it, you want it, and you sort of think you can afford it. Go for it, they aren't making any more and it will cost more the next time you find it. Don't kick yourself sometime down the road over missing it because of a few bucks.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

mack wrote:CB,
My thought would be that if you like it, you want it, and you sort of think you can afford it. Go for it, they aren't making any more and it will cost more the next time you find it. Don't kick yourself sometime down the road over missing it because of a few bucks.
+1 ...You didn't really expect discouraging words from this crew, did you?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Is this a private party sale or sold by a dealer?

If either, ask them to clean the bore, so you’ll have a much better idea of its condition. Dirt and other debris can hide frosting, pits, etc.

Then ask to take the rifle out in sunlight and carefully examine it. Some more defects or problems might then become apparent as a result of the natural sunlight. Often times a dealer will have what I call “dealer’s lighting” which is not the “best and the brightest” and will hide flaws. Or, he only a flashlight with weak batteries….

My big bugaboo ‘bout the rifle is the damage to wood, esp. the 5” X¼” missing pice from the butt. Probably will be difficult trying to match and fit a repair to blend with the original wood.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.