Went to NYC...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Went to NYC...

Post by Hobie »

I only went to NYC to keep the wife happy. Didn't like it despite the fact that I had many, many family members who lived their whole lives there. Won't be going back. People everywhere, stacked one on top of the other (yeah, I knew that). How anyone lives that way is beyond me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Went to NYC...

Post by jnyork »

Better you than me, Hobie. :shock:

I spent about 12 hours there once back in the 70's, 11 hours too long.

I would wish for someone to beat me with a big stick than make me go there again, or to go to any place even closely resembling it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Nice to visit Times Square, Empire State Bldg, Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall, and the Intrepid but other than that it's too crowded, too noisy, to expensive, and way, way too full of itself!!

"...and way, way too full of itself!!" Kinda like down in the Lone Star State only without the hat and boots.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got no use for any of them cities. Maybe a show or music venue just because they aren't available anyplace else.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:I only did it to keep the wife happy. Didn't like it despite the fact that I had many, many family members who lived their whole lives there. Won't be going back. People everywhere, stacked one on top of the other (yeah, I knew that). How anyone lives that way is beyond me.
Why didn't you leave a Davey Crocket behind?

Things would be much better if you had...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Anybody ever noticed how much big cites actually stink? Maybe it was just the one I was in.

Was in Chicago a while back visiting my sister and the downtown area just absolutely reeked. Like walking around in the bottom of a dumpster. Sickening.

No affection for urban areas here.

*barf*

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Can`t stand cities either, weird thing is i``ve had some city people ask how we can live in the country. Had a cousin from Cail. here once that found a wood tick crawling up her arm, thought she was gonna freak out. :?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I lived in Phoenix for almost 30 years. Experienced much of it's growth. But it still somehow never did get to the cramped over crowded atmosphere of cities like Chicago. Been to Chicago one time and that was more than enough. Been in Costa Mesa, CA and the LA area and had no problems there either. But Chicago ...... barfffff! And yes FWiedner I did notice how it smelled. Ugh. We were driving in my wifes Nissan PU and the streets felt so narrow I thought we were going to have to pull in the outside mirrors.

So Hobie, I understand how you felt there. Thanks for telling us about it, now I don't need to go there :D :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

NYC = thing
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to NYC the first time almost 7 years ago now !

Took the Amtrak up from Fredricksburg VA .

It was a little intresting to say the least stepping out on the street from Penn Station and then taking the subway to Queens .

But I gotta say I like it alot better here in Virginia .

Now the closest I get to NYC is flying thru JFK :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yeah, trying to get at that Rockerfeller tree is an adventure....kinda puts you in the mind of the Muslims gyrating around that pole at Mecca. You go where the crowd goes and it's not always where you want to. I can do it for about one day and that's it, I'm toast. My family can't get enough, however. Did you see the arms/armor display at the Met?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I went once when I took some training. My first impression was not what I expecte3d from TV and movies. The museum on Central Park was breathtaking the city stunk. I was such a hick Canadian and proud of it.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I'm glad all those people like it there, because that means they're not out here! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I went there when I was 10 years old with my mother and aunt. I hated every minute of it besides when we were in the museum on Ellis Island. Don't intend on going back.

Eric
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I was there once in July of 2001. It was neat to see some of the landmarks in the area, and we drove by the Twin Towers a couple months before they were hit. I ate some pretty darn good Italian food there. Other than those few select things I absolutely hated it. I don't even like going close to downtown Dallas although I have to for work. Makes me want to move as far away as possible. NYC was dirty (maybe even as dirty as New Orleans), it stunk, and I saw the biggest rats I've ever laid eyes on. Rude people, and lots of them. Not my cup o' tea.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Except for flying in and out of chicago I had trouble every time I drove, took the bus or train through there. Once I got pick pocketed at christmas and had to stay in a flop house. That never happened to me anywhere else.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I have spent time in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Helsinki, Stockholm, Rome, Vienna, Berlin, Brussels, Tokyo, Seoul, Jakarta, Rio, Cape Town, Montreal, Chicago, Sydney, Melbourne and others long forgotten, but I have to say that NYC is the most vibrant, dynamic and fun city that I have ever visited. When we lived in Long Island for 5 years the wife and I visited the city at every opportunity. Eat, drink, see or do anything you want, anytime, day or night. Art galleries, theatres,music, architecture, quirky characters, crumbling infrastructure - New York has it all. We love it.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

perry owens wrote:I have spent time in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Helsinki, Stockholm, Rome, Vienna, Berlin, Brussels, Tokyo, Seoul, Jakarta, Rio, Cape Town, Montreal, Chicago, Sydney, Melbourne and others long forgotten, but I have to say that NYC is the most vibrant, dynamic and fun city that I have ever visited. When we lived in Long Island for 5 years the wife and I visited the city at every opportunity. Eat, drink, see or do anything you want, anytime, day or night. Art galleries, theatres,music, architecture, quirky characters, crumbling infrastructure - New York has it all. We love it.
Perry Owens
First Perry we miss you here (ON) Long Island :D On another gun forum they have a hometown section, it's funny to read posts from flyover country 8) who are coming to NYC asking what defensive tools to bring . One even said he is comfortable driving in Afghanistan, but the thought of driving in NYC frightens him :shock: If you visit Manhattan during Christmas time be prepared for a sea of unafraid travelers from all over the world. :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie wrote:I only did it to keep the wife happy. Didn't like it despite the fact that I had many, many family members who lived their whole lives there. Won't be going back. People everywhere, stacked one on top of the other (yeah, I knew that). How anyone lives that way is beyond me.
Hobie,
Here is the deal, kinda like everything else once you find out the places to eat/visit/and even park your ride it actually is pretty nice.
Actually can be a pleasant relaxing event.(just gotta know where/when to go.)
Would like to take you and wife sometime to a special jazz place we go(very laid back)then to this low keyed Italian place for eats and a few drinks my sister-in laws father owns.(even have the right special place to stay over)
Think you would like it?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

C. Cash wrote:Yeah, trying to get at that Rockerfeller tree is an adventure....kinda puts you in the mind of the Muslims gyrating around that pole at Mecca. You go where the crowd goes and it's not always where you want to. I can do it for about one day and that's it, I'm toast. My family can't get enough, however. Did you see the arms/armor display at the Met?
Something that interests me, inside of the 5 hours there? No way that was going to happen. :roll:

As to the other... I'm not a fan of crowds, if you take 200 people outside of a formation or church pews I'm ill at ease. I didn't meet one rude person while there HOWEVER I saw lots of very "odd" people in the street.

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... ravel.html
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I gotta say when I was there 7 years ago we went to Flushing Queens one day . That place was kinda neat , never seen so many Chinese , Korean and Indian resteraunts in one place before .

And gotta admit we tried one of each before we left there that day :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

claybob86 wrote:I'm glad all those people like it there, because that means they're not out here!
I think that whenever I go to any urban area. Great places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there - and I know some feel the opposite - they'd rather live in the city with the nearby conveniences and arts or whatever, and 'visit' the country to hunt or fish or whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

Honestly, part of what irks me about many cities is their ridiculous 'attitude' about firearms. I know odds of being mugged in New York are 'only' something like one per 400 per year, so visitors are pretty safe, but just the idea that they won't let said visitor (or resident, unless they are a politician, movie star, or millionaire) even have a handgun under their coat is just plain freakin' ridiculous. It makes it very hard to respect the 'leadership' of big cities, or the police who would enforce such victim-disarmament, and for me at least, taints all the other 'good' things about the big cities.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

perry owens wrote:I have spent time in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Helsinki, Stockholm, Rome, Vienna, Berlin, Brussels, Tokyo, Seoul, Jakarta, Rio, Cape Town, Montreal, Chicago, Sydney, Melbourne and others long forgotten, but I have to say that NYC is the most vibrant, dynamic and fun city that I have ever visited. When we lived in Long Island for 5 years the wife and I visited the city at every opportunity. Eat, drink, see or do anything you want, anytime, day or night. Art galleries, theatres,music, architecture, quirky characters, crumbling infrastructure - New York has it all. We love it.
Perry Owens
You've got me beat by a few cities there Perry but a huge +1 as long as we're talking visiting! Love it. I get to lay my head in Arizona though and that's perfect for a gun loving guy.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

olyinaz wrote:
Perry Owens
You've got me beat by a few cities there Perry but a huge +1 as long as we're talking visiting! Love it. I get to lay my head in Arizona though and that's perfect for a gun loving guy.

Cheers,
Oly
Oly, I got to visit all the lower 48 for work when I was living in the US, but for vacations we always went to Arizona. Rented a house in Sedona and radiated out from there.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Hobie wrote: How anyone lives that way is beyond me.
+1......... I'll take the living in the sticks any day. :)

I don't begrudge anyone that likes big city living, it just ain't for me.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Perry,

I lived several YEARS in Seoul and drove there almost every day. I think it easier to move through than NYC. It had (it has been 30 years since I lived there :!: ) more of a smaller town "feel" to it as there weren't that many tall buildings. Felt safer there as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Perry,

I lived several YEARS in Seoul and drove there almost every day. I think it easier to move through than NYC. It had (it has been 30 years since I lived there :!: ) more of a smaller town "feel" to it as there weren't that many tall buildings. Felt safer there as well.
I have four years in Seoul myself. Crowded, but maybe the best example of a transportation system of bus, cheap taxi, and rail. I enjoyed getting on a bus and just getting off somewhere and noseing around, grab a few OBs, and BBQ. Everyone liked the individual US soldier, but they didn't like our gubment there, and I couldn't say I blamed them.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

driving in Manhattan - there is a left snake and a right snake. Lane markers mean nothing, because people are triple parked. If you're in a snake go, if you're not in a snake, yield. And keep driving, because it costs $50 to park.

Boston is much worse - they turn 3 marked lanes into 5 and they still triple park. They also decide they've been sitting too long at the light and will drive out without even yielding. That's why there aren't too many Bostonians in Texas - their mortality is high.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bulldog1935 wrote:driving in Manhattan - there is a left snake and a right snake. Lane markers mean nothing, because people are triple parked. If you're in a snake go, if you're not in a snake, yield. And keep driving, because it costs $50 to park.

Boston is much worse - they turn 3 marked lanes into 5 and they still triple park. They also decide they've been sitting too long at the light and will drive out without even yielding. That's why there aren't too many Bostonians in Texas - their mortality is high.
Drive in Manila or any Philippine city !

You'll think anywhere in the USA is calm !

In the Philippines they get 6 lanes out of a two lane road , what with the cabs , jeepneys , motorcycles and bicycles .
Although I've never been in Thailand what I've read or seen on Youtube leads me to believe their traffic situation is very similar to that ion the Philippines .

However I for some reason shall we say I "endure" it alot better in the Philippines then I will here in the USA . That may partly be due to the fact that I'm driving here and over there I always go by taxi :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:Perry,

I must confess all of Seoul I have seen was in the airport . However they "seemed" more americanized then they were in Tokyo when I was there this past year . And yes I saw more of Tokyo then just the airport !

If I have my way and can afford it , I plan to fly from Dullus to Seoul to Manila and back every time if I am able !
So much more pleasent going thru Seoul and doing customs in Washington versus LAX , SF or JFK :roll:
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I grew up in Boston....experienced the Army 72'-75" and spent time in KY, MO. Pa....woods, trees , animals....way less people....went home....Boston sucked....no trees, plenty of 2 legged animals, no Deer.....moved to gun friendly NH....and being a cop I can carry anywhere, but would be afraid to be out of Dodge and be in such a target rich enviornment so I avoid cities like the cess pool they are......and they do stink like hell.....being a Bow hunter I maintain sent control so every darn thing jumps out at me.....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Been to NYC a few times. Have always enjoyed my visits, but am more than happy to get out quickly!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hobie wrote:I only went to NYC to keep the wife happy. Didn't like it despite the fact that I had many, many family members who lived their whole lives there. Won't be going back. People everywhere, stacked one on top of the other (yeah, I knew that). How anyone lives that way is beyond me.

Hell I'm within 35 or so miles of it & havent been there in over 16 years. My oldest son just went with the school, he loved the museums & things but beyond that about mirrored your views.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Go to NYC Christmas shoppping every other year. Crowd at Macey's is one of the neatest things I have ever seen.

Still can't believe they have no toy department.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Hobie, now you know why I asked those folks in NYC to meet me in New Jersey when I delivered those puppies last year. I had been to NYC before(to pick up a prisoner) and had no desire to go back. God Bless.
Last edited by rodeo kid on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

I live at the western end of NYS and wish that we could cecede from NY City's control of this state. They could keep all of the incumbent politicos and we would happily start over. Been there several times as my mother's sisters lived there. Have no desire to ever go back. :!:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

We in PA need to convince NYC and NJ residents how bad life in the PA countryside is so they STOP MOVING HERE where they try to impose and enact their stupid way of thinking (like gun control among others). Some of these types will build a house near a pig farm and then complain that pig manure stinks!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kaschi wrote:We in PA need to convince NYC and NJ residents how bad life in the PA countryside is so they STOP MOVING HERE where they try to impose and enact their stupid way of thinking (like gun control among others). Some of these types will build a house near a pig farm and then complain that pig manure stinks!

I used to spend a fair amount of time in the Poconos . A friend from Doylestown had a cabin up there and we used to hunt and fish year round .
Anyway I know what you mean , we ran across alotta folks that were weekend transplants that weren't all that used to life in the country/mountains .
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

kaschi wrote:We in PA need to convince NYC and NJ residents how bad life in the PA countryside is so they STOP MOVING HERE where they try to impose and enact their stupid way of thinking (like gun control among others). Some of these types will build a house near a pig farm and then complain that pig manure stinks!
At least one CO county that I know of has a "Right to Farm" law, which describes the agricultural realities in detail, and precludes the city folks, who are buying a few acres and building a house there, from pursuing legal action against the farmers who have been there since the area was first settled.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

WOW--where's the love for the BIG APPLE... :(--I'm a recovering New Yorker and have many friends that belong to the NYPD fraternity and a couple of associates that hang with the five families--its not all that bad. I presently live off-site, but miss the Italian Restaurants, great pizza, China Town, Manhattan, Yankee Stadium, and Times Square to name a few. I enjoy the woods, water, and mountains that surround my present locale, but will never reject the neighborhood of my youth. New York 'ain't perfect--but it 'ain't bad either... :)
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

rjf415 wrote:WOW--where's the love for the BIG APPLE... :(--... New York 'ain't perfect--but it 'ain't bad either... :)
I think you will find the population of levergunners in NYC to be pretty slim, and those will be considered by the populous to be crackpots.
I know in most of NY state, TX license plates are profiled for potential firearms transport violations.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Went there once in 1970, did not experience anything that would make me return :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I lived in NYC from 1942-58, mostly in the Bronx, and was riding the subways to shcool (alone) when I was 8 y.o.

IMHO, any outdoorsman, visiting NYC, is doing themselves a disservice if they fail to spend some time in the Museum of Natural History, and/or the Hayden Planetarium & it's show - not to mention the Bronx Zoo. :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pete44ru wrote:I lived in NYC from 1942-58, mostly in the Bronx, and was riding the subways to school (alone) when I was 8 y.o.

IMHO, any outdoorsman, visiting NYC, is doing themselves a disservice if they fail to spend some time in the Museum of Natural History, and/or the Hayden Planetarium & it's show - not to mention the Bronx Zoo. :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

+1 -- actually a levergun in NYC under a trench coat would be considered a "friendly reminder" from a bill collector--only kidding, kind-of...forget 'bout it... :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

We have the same problem in Arizona with an endless stream of Californians. Thankfully many of them are escaping that liberal disaster area and do not want more of it here, but there's enough who don't "get it" that we continue to drift leftwards in the big metros. Chaps my hide.

Reminds me of Germany/Austria. My friend moved to Salzburg to escape the liberal bufoonery in Germany but now he gets treated like a daggum GERMAN (!) by the Austrians. When he goes to his summer place in Sweden he gets the same treatment. :lol: LOL. Poor guy can't win! At least we don't hold accent grudges (much...) here in The States. :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Next time ya go to NYC, take a Brooklyn Special (as coined by Jeff Cooper).

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As has been said already alotta folks like cities and I am sure there are certain things and certain parts that can truely be grand if one is of that mind set .

However ..................................................
I've pretty much always thought any major city in the US of A was a shitehole . Now granted there have been times when I went to certain cities and the amount of the female reproductive organ there was AMAZING to say the least (and no I don't mean hookers). Well atleast thats the way it was in the night spots I happened to "unwillingly" find myself in :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:As has been said already alotta folks like cities and I am sure there are certain things and certain parts that can truely be grand if one is of that mind set .

I've pretty much always thought any major city in the US of A was a shitehole . Now granted there have been times when I went to certain cities and the amount of the female reproductive organ there was AMAZING to say the least (and no I don't mean hookers). Well atleast thats the way it was in the night spots I happened to "unwillingly" find myself in :lol:

Where / Where 6pt :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:As has been said already alotta folks like cities and I am sure there are certain things and certain parts that can truely be grand if one is of that mind set .

Where / Where 6pt :oops: :lol: :mrgreen:

One place not to far from you actually !

Scranton/Wilkes Barre has an overabundance of that type of thing in the right spots !
Heck thats where I met wifey #2 , and thank God she is no longer in my company !
Note to anyone looking for a wife , middle aged Peruvian women can be troublesome at times :lol:

Parts NYC the same can be said . And back quite a few moons ago I used to frequent Richmond VA . But then I had a GF that was in college and most of the other uhm you know where her sorority sisters or room mates .

Almost forgot Trenton New Jersey isn't bad either if you have a taste for South American delights . Used to spend time with a rather nice Columbian woman there . Only problem was she wanted me to move to NJ rather then her move to Virginia ! And that wasn't gonna happen !
DunRanull
Levergunner

Post by DunRanull »

Never been there and have no desire to even visit. All those big cities are "fly-over country" in my book. Born in Detroit and lived in the area until old enuff to clear out and move to the western US.
Personally the little town life style has it's draw-backs - cliqueishness being a big one- but not the stink, crime, impersonal, busy, everyone trying to go somewhere at once, too many gun laws.... With internet access the info-age and a lot of business contacts are just a screen away..
Those "Mare's leg" "pistols" would be a statement from the inside of one's slicker in NYC....
Visited a sister in Berkeley a few years ago..used to carrying here when I please.. freaked her out when she realised I was carrying a small 9mm.