My tractor project-picture

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

My tractor project-picture

Post by getitdone1 »

On another post where I was talking about magnets and tractor cover I was asked for a picture of my tractor, so here it is:

John Deere 5020 made in 1967. 133 hp and at the time it was the most powerful 2 wheel drive tractor made. They later upped hp to 141 and then next model, 6030, that looks nearly identical, went to 175 hp with aid of blower. Both models have a 531 cid diesel engine. Have extra large 30.5x32 tires on the rear. I like those large fenders and love to hear this tractor run. Has huge 1500 lb weights inside each rear wheel. It weighs 15,800 lbs and can go close to 20,000 fully weighted. In a way it's kinda like the 45-70 with the 405 gr factory load. :D

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My tractor project-picture

Post by Pitchy »

Wow 8) that is getting it done, nice job, great looking tractor. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

My Dad used to have a 5010, basicly a stripped down version of the 5020. You could literaly watch the fuel gauge bolt for the empty mark. :shock:
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Great job on the tractor, looks super!
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very nice! Those John Deere tractors speak of the heartland of America. A few weeks back, I was walking home (a five mile walk) down a country road when what to my wondering eyes do I see but an old farmer plowing his field with an original John Deere D unstyled. I stood and watched him for 15 or 20 minutes just savoring the experience, not to mention the wonderful sound of the old D toiling up and down the field.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Dad farmed for many years with the old 2 lungers. When in the army he sent home his pay to save and when he got out in 57 I think, he bought the 1st 720 sold at our dealership, along with a 5 bottom plow, disc, planter, and started farming on his own. I was the only one of my Dads 4 sons who loved those old tractors or even used them growing up. Dad still has a 51 A, 43 (long hood)B, 47 G, 56 70gas, 59 430T. He just this summer sold that original 720D (pony motor). It didnt have a dent on it, but did need a paint job. And he is still kicking himself for selling it. He sold it once befor, many years ago, traded it for a JD 4000. Bought back his 720 2 weeks later. I still use the old 70 whenever possible.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That Deere is sweet!
My first tractor, if you could call it that, was a little 1949 Gibson with a 9-horse rope-start Wisconsin engine. My current machine is just the small Mahindra diesel, built by Mitsubishi heavy industries.
I'd love have an older American tractor someday.

Here's that Gibson with its tiller ...

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

nice tractor!

i got one myself .. mine has not seen the paint part yet but i got it from the original owner and it has 1822 original hours. They are very cool tractors. ... i love at very low speed the rear 1/2 of the tractor shakes and kinda bounces due to the lugs of the tires and all the cast iron weight inside the rims.

My other gonna get done tractor is a JD 80 also a very cool tractor and do a couple of my grandpas tractors a IH "H" model and his 1941 "D"

^
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Just got to love them deere's! i grew up helping a farmer work his field, He had the 60, 70, and the 420 series. Them two cylinders have a sound all their own. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don,

Very nice looking Deere! My little 3 cyl. Ford of similar vintage is puny in comparison. Mine's due for a rebuild... been sorta putting off lookin' it over, worried over what I'll find! Overheatin' lately... and hard to start! Oh, and that oil in the water thing... yep, scared of what I'll find. But, can't complain, for a '69 that's not always seen the best of regular maintenance... she's been right frugal.
veeman wrote: You could literaly watch the fuel gauge bolt for the empty mark
VERY descriptive!!! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine tractor pics Don and Bill. Thanks! Now if you could just get us one more with them nose to nose? :lol:
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

WOW! That's beautiful! :mrgreen:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

And I thought my JD A and JD G were bad a##

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Nothing better than green! :wink:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Big Green! I worked on J.D. tractors/backhoes for several years, good machine. L.A. Water & Power had about 50 to 60 of them...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Both are neat machines, looks like a super job on the JD. Here is another one of mine, don't let the size scare ya!! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Love it!! Most of the well off farmers in my neck of the woods had 4020s when I was growing up and I used to look longingly at them. We used a Farmall 400 and John Deere B to get our chores done. The 400 was a dang fine tractor! Nothing wrong with the putt putt either. :D

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

oly

was that a diesel that started on gas??? that big of carb it must be all gas

long time ago we had one like that...when i was a kid

^
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice lookin tractors, Don is that a later model of the JD -R
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Nice tractors, the only thing we had on the farm was a Farmall Cub.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

KirkD wrote:Very nice! Those John Deere tractors speak of the heartland of America. A few weeks back, I was walking home (a five mile walk) down a country road when what to my wondering eyes do I see but an old farmer plowing his field with an original John Deere D unstyled. I stood and watched him for 15 or 20 minutes just savoring the experience, not to mention the wonderful sound of the old D toiling up and down the field.
KirkD,

Now that's a nice story. I see you know a thing or two about old tractors with your "unstyled" remark. I can't think of a better old tractor than the John Deere D. Unstyled, even better. They were a powerhouse in their day. Big engine and especially for the size of the tractor.

Came back to add that I remember watching a neighbor farmer farm with horses. Everyone else had left horses for tractors several years earlier. What stood-out to me was how quiet he came across the field. All I heard was the occasional jingle of chains. We did have a couple of work horses, at the start, but about all we used them for was hand picking "down corn." Picking the ears up out of water and mud is a lot of fun. Then, if you were on the inside between another guy and the wagon you had to be on guard so you didn't get an ear of corn on your head! :D Not too uncommon.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have a '64 JD 1010. Love the little thing. In great shape too.

Like the David Bradley two wheel tractors. Gravely too! Have been looking for a Gravely hay dump rake. Anyone see one or know of one, let me know!! I have an Italian BCS two wheel tractor, would love the dump rake that Gravely made.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

olyinaz,

That is a VERY nice job on that 400! Did you do the work? We had one but it had the narrow front end. Very good tractor. Pulled a 4 row planter with it for several years.

I can see why you longed for a John Deere 4020. It is one of the true classics. My dad made quite a jump when he got his 4020. Previously our biggest tractors were DC Cases and the 400. Not long after we got the 4020 I hooked it to an electric pole wanting to pull a knot out of a chain. The knot stayed because the pole started leaning. Yes, it was a big jump up in power and weight. My 5020 is a size larger and the largest 2-wheel drive John Deere made at the time.

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Pitchy,

The R was 2 cylinder while my 5020 is 6. The R and other 2 cylinder John Deere tractors were often refered to as "Put-Puts." That's like the sound they made. Not put as in put but put as in luck.

The 820 and 830 models followed the R and were more powerful. Then the 5010 and then the 5020 like mine. The 5010, 4010, 3010, etc. were what John Deere called their "New Generation" tractors. This is when John Deere really began to outsell the other brands--and it's continuing at the present.

Now you can buy a really big 4 wheel drive John Deere with nearly 600 hp for about 350,000 dollars. Get a combine for about the same and another implement or two, couple of big trucks and you're a millionaire before you start farming. Well.....you were! A lot different "farm world" than when I last farmed in the early 70s.

Don
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper, i think the R was a diesel and was a pretty big tractor for the time.

My 60

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

About the R

The John Deere Model R, the last of the lettered tractors, was the first diesel-powered tractor produced by John Deere with a gasoline starting engine. It was also the first tractor they produced that had an optional steel cab. The photo above shows the tractor with this option. This was a powerful tractor destined for larger farms.

The John Deere R was produced from 1949 through 1954 and approximately 21,000 were manufactured. The weight of the tractor was around 7,400 pounds. In 1954 you could purchase one of these for a mere $3,650.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Specs

Air Cleaner: Donaldson
Carburetor: Marvel-Schebler SL-2 (on Starting Engine)
Ignition: 6-volt Delco Remy
Engine: John Deere I-head, horizontal two-cylinder.
5.75 x 8.00 bore and stroke,
Compression ratio 16:1,
416 CID
Speed: MPH forward 2.12, 3.33, 4.25, 5.33, 11.50 and 2.50 reverse
Fuel Tank Capacity: 22 gallons (main), 0.25 (auxiliary
Rated RPM: 1000
Cooling Capacity: 13.62 gallons
Rear Tire: 14x34 inches
Front Tire 7.50x18 inches
Length: 147 inches
Width (Front): 79.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebraska Tractor Test Results

TEST NO. 406

Model: John Deere R Diesel

John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works, Waterloo, Iowa

DATE TESTED: April 19 to April 28, 1949

Deere's first diesel tractor opened the 1949 testing season at the Tractor Test Laboratory. Featuring a two-cylinder horizontal, I-head engine, this tractor was rated at 1,000 rpm and carried a 5.75 x 8 inch bore and stroke. Also featured was a Deere-built two-cylinder starting engine with a 2-6/10 x 2-5/16 inch bore and stroke and a rated speed of 4000 rpm. A glass sediment bowl broke during the limber-up run, otherwise no repairs or adjustments were noted during 57 hours of engine operating time. Bare weight was 7,603 pounds. Standard equipment included 14-34 rear and 7.50-18 front tires. Advertised speeds of 2-1/8, 3-1/3, 4-1/4, 5-1/3 and 11-1/2 mph were provided. Third gear was used for Test H. Results indicated a fuel economy of 15.19 horsepower hours per gallon of diesel fuel, along with a rated output of 34.45 drawbar horsepower, a pull of 3140 pounds 4.11 mph and slippage of 4.7%. A Test G maximum pull in low gear tallied 6,644 pounds at 1.88 mph with slippage of 15.01%. Tests B & C at 100% maximum belt load indicated an economy of 17.35 horsepower hours per gallon at 48.58 horsepower, while Test D at a rated load of 43.52 belt horsepower produced an economy of 17.63 horsepower hours per gallon of fuel.

Serial Numbers

Serial Numbers (From 1949 to 1954)
The serial number is located on a plate on the right side, above the belt pulley
Year Starting Serial Number
1949 1000
1950 3541
1951 6368
1952 9293
1953 15720
1954 19485
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Pitchy,

Nice 60. The bucket looks like a more modern vintage than would normally go on that tractor.

Good info on the R. My 5020 has a 68 gallon fuel tank which indicates it might like fuel. The big 4-wheelers now hold 300 gallons or better. A fill-up at 4.00/gal would cost you a nifty 1200.00!

I read that diesel fuel "keeps" a lot better than present day gas. We try to use are gas within a month.

Here's some good websites about farm tractors:

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/

http://www.tractorhouse.com/Default.aspx?pdcl=1

http://www.tractordata.com/

http://www.fastline.com/v100/index.aspx

Don
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I have a Farmall 340 , doesn't do any farming now just a little snow plowing , firewood hauling , and some road grading.
My Dad on the tractor , his buddy operating the grader , in front of his buddys camp. One of the joys of being at the end of a dead end private road , road maintenence :

Phil
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

rafter-7 wrote:oly

was that a diesel that started on gas??? that big of carb it must be all gas

long time ago we had one like that...when i was a kid
Straight gas. I'm not sure if it was available in Diesel, but the big Farmall 600 was. Now THAT was a man's tractor!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

getitdone1 wrote:That is a VERY nice job on that 400! Did you do the work? We had one but it had the narrow front end. Very good tractor.
Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that was our old 400! That was just a nice image of a lovely 400 I pulled up on the web. Ours had the wide front and no fenders and yes, they really were great tractors but that one you have now is just FANTASTIC. I'm city bound and jealous. :)

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

There are not many of those in my neck of the woods, even though John Deere was very popular in our area. Nice tractor.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Maybe some of you would like to add to the following list of what I consider the all-time classic farm tractors.

John Deere models D, A and B and 4020 (Compared to these models my 5020 was not nearly as popular.)

Farmall M, and H was very popular.

To me, and to a lesser degree the Case DC3. We had two and they were very good. One with hand clutch.

The cuttest tractor we had was a Massy Harris 81. Barely enough power for a small 12", 2-bottom plow, maybe big 1-bottom. Here's a picture of this nifty little tractor:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... Q&dur=1569

I don't think any farm tractor is more highly respected than the John Deere 4020. Such a big step up for so many farmers.

Don
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Oliver 77 and 88!

And Ford 8N also.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Here's a couple shots of the old farmer I came across while walking home down a country road near our place. It is a John Deere Model D unstyled. I don't know if he is a collector, or if he just keeps his old tractor going to be thrifty. Either way, it was a real treat to watch and listen to that old Johnny Popper!

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Pulling a three bottom plow no less! Nice.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

When I was a 10 year old kid my best friend had one of those "Walk Behind" tractors

We worked that tractor like a bad mule. Plowed fields for cash, hauled logs and used it to pull a wagon full of friends to the local soda fountain.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Nice pictures of the old guy and his John Deere D. Looks like it's kinda cold and the soil has plenty of moisture.

Steel wheels. No worry about puncturing those and they'd last forever! Like to drive a tractor with steel wheels to see if they have the traction of rubber tires. I know how the ride would be, although not noticeable in the field with a load.

Read the model D was in production the longest of any John Deere model--30 years! That tells you a lot about the worth of this model. Very good horsepower for their time. A real favorite of mine. Oddly, never one of these in our immediate area. A,B,G and one R but no Ds.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thought of a tractor related story you guys would find interesting.

A "city cousin" was visiting and he and my youngest brother were on an Oliver 70 we had at the time. Narrow front end. Cousin was driving this tractor on the bank of a pond and turned it while applying one of the brakes and it turned over. My cousin was thrown clear while my brother was pinned under the seat--a seat that had springs. My other brother pulled up on the seat so youngest brother could crawl out.

Amazingly, no one was seriously hurt. I wasn't there at the time but my dad and my cousin's dad were. No doubt the weight of the tractor was being held-up by the fenders and perhaps the seat was over a low spot in the ground.

Of all the tractors we had this Oliver 70 was my least favorite. It had no lugging power.

Don
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Farm equipment is one of the most dangerous things there is, can`t be careful enough.
As far as steel wheels i`ve had several, steel with tall lugs had great tracktion but if ya spun them to much you would dig a hole quick like and be buried.
On hard ground or froozen they will shake ya off the tractor and are slippery on side hills.
Otherwise in snow or a swamp in the winter nothing stops ya, used to drive a F-14 all over the place in the winter, and like ya said no flats.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man, some nice old tractors. I love the OP JD - man that's a hoss!

I've only owned two - a 70's Ford 1210 which I sold and the Kubota 3200 that I just bought.

I'll show a bad pic of it - perfect for my small land owner needs :)

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

getitdone1 wrote:Nice pictures of the old guy and his John Deere D. Looks like it's kinda cold and the soil has plenty of moisture.

Steel wheels. No worry about puncturing those and they'd last forever! Like to drive a tractor with steel wheels to see if they have the traction of rubber tires. I know how the ride would be, although not noticeable in the field with a load.

Read the model D was in production the longest of any John Deere model--30 years! That tells you a lot about the worth of this model. Very good horsepower for their time. A real favorite of mine. Oddly, never one of these in our immediate area. A,B,G and one R but no Ds. Don
My Grandpa (and Dad and uncles) worked the farm with horses and a John Deere GP which was sort of like the "B" model to the D. Very similar looking. They used to start it on white gas and once it was warm switch to fuel oil or kerosene. Steel wheels and they actually liked that about it. No road gear on those models at first because they weren't designed for pulling a wagon into town I guess.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

When I was a kid the neighbor across the way had a Minneapolis-Moline tractor and it was just huge. My Dad would borrow it from time to time for some job that was more than our tractor could handle and I remember that it was just a friggen HUGE tractor for the day. My Dad loved it and would talk about what a Belgian horse of a tractor it was. Pretty sure it was a Model G:

It had a great sound to it and I'll always remember the way that you sat off to the side (steering wheel ran down one side of the tractor instead of through the middle) and could look down at the row you were tilling etc.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man, these pics of the cherry vintage tractors are making me want one bad. But unlike the federal government, I must prioritize my spending :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I grew up working a family Gibson tractor. Jump ahead 30 years. A local tractor collection, including a Gibson, was sold at auction.
I won the bid on the Gibson.
I brought it home and rebuilt it down to the last nut ,bolt, piston ring and handbuilt brake band.
I also handbuilt a blade and attachment hardware for it.
I sold it for far less than the cost of purchase and rebuild.
I plan to make a profit in volume!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper