Opinions on a globe front sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Opinions on a globe front sight

Post by kimwcook »

I put a tang sight on my Marlin 94 for shooting silhouette. The problem with the factory front sight is that it has a gold bead and I lose it on the white silhouettes. I was looking at getting a globe front sight w/covered level that uses Lyman inserts and I'm wondering what you guys think about the Shaver, Kelley, etc...

Something like this
Shaver globe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Re: Opinions on a globe front sight

Post by Don McDowell »

Kim I like that Shaver sight, but I had a lot of trouble getting enough light thru it until I took the level out and gave it to someone that had broken theirs.
Another sight that is good are Ron Heilmans. He cuts a slit in the top so the insert doesn't blank out in lowlight, or get hard to see with the sun in the wrong place..
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don, do you know of a website I can take a look at them or find them for sale.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Kim I don't think he has a website, but I think you can google him up, and get one of his fliers to come up. He's there in Washington.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a couple silhouette leverguns with the Shaver globe sight, but most of mine have the Lyman 17A as i have not found the level in the Shaver sight to be useful enough to warrant the extra $50 in cost. The Shaver insert card is a very good investment though.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks guys.
Old Law Dawg
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I bought one from Cabelas. It's from Perosoli. The actually had it in stock.

Owen
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

MVA makes them very nicely

here's my favorite insert with level

and the sight image
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I have the tang and globe combo on my Rossi 92/357 and my Henry 001T in 22LR. Thanks to CO Steve for his post about the combo some time back. I swear by them! Was at the range today with the Rossi and my new 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Lots of folks were eyeballing that Rossi and the sight combo. Now I gotta get something similar for the Swede!!!

Walt
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Shasta wrote:I have a couple silhouette leverguns with the Shaver globe sight, but most of mine have the Lyman 17A as i have not found the level in the Shaver sight to be useful enough to warrant the extra $50 in cost. The Shaver insert card is a very good investment though.

SHASTA
I use the Lyman 17A as well with the Shaver inserts on my 24" 357mag Rossi in conjunction with a Marbles tang sight and their 0.032" target aperture. I'm very happy with it and have bounced back and forth between Shaver's smallest aperture insert and larger post. Each has it's advantages at the ranges I use (200 yds and under). BTW, I'm glad that Newtmaker is having good luck with his and I'm happy to have helped.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the replies. I've sent Mr. Heilman an email about his sights. I'm stoked to get my silhouette levergun set up for a barrel full of fun.
Old Law Dawg
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Do these sights work in the field as well as on targets? The different post inserts interest me for my 32-20 92.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I find the smallest aperture quite effective in the field as I can see the target area in the aperture and I naturally like up the concentric circles (rear aperture, globe hood, globe aperture).
Steve
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

a good idea for the field is a Merit adjustable aperture.
Being able to continuously vary the aperture diameter (just like a camera aperture) let's you balance the trade-off between available light and depth of field in the sight image.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

More than the front globe, the size of the aperature in the rear sight is the only problem in the field. And I only find that in the lowest of light situations. And, depending on which direction you're facing... In the early am, facing easterly, not as much problem as the evening facing the same direction after sunset... well, maybe more twilight than just after sunset!

I only have two globe front sights, both are Shiloh's standard globe... only one's been modified to fit in the dovetail on my mdl 94 rifle, and I took the insert out and filed the top half of the ball off, making it a very fine "T".

But, a couple of my projects are slated to get either the Lyman 17A or the Shaver. I'd like to get the Shaver to replace the one on my Sharp's. Then I'll probably do the same thing to that Shiloh globe as my other'n.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I put a tang sight on my Marlin 94 for shooting silhouette. The problem with the factory front sight is that it has a gold bead and I lose it on the white silhouettes. I was looking at getting a globe front sight w/covered level that uses Lyman inserts and I'm wondering what you guys think about the Shaver, Kelley, etc...
You might want to note if you are shooting NRA matches that in strictly reading the rules you must use a post front sight if you are using replaceable inserts.
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - Listed below are the three
classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. The below listed rules apply to all classes
of rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting
carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who
enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of
other specialized types of shooting competitions.)
(a) Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for
the rifle they are mounted on. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be
hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

41 Redhawk wrote:
You might want to note if you are shooting NRA matches that in strictly reading the rules you must use a post front sight if you are using replaceable inserts.
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - Listed below are the three
classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. The below listed rules apply to all classes
of rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting
carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who
enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of
other specialized types of shooting competitions.)
(a) Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for
the rifle they are mounted on. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be
hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only.
I heard that from one of our guys at the range. That's why I'm going back and forth between an aperture and post inside the globe. Either way, the globe's round hood also helps me with aiming as I'm looking at concentric circles with either another circle or a post in the middle.
Steve
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Received a reply to my email from Mr. Heilman, but only the front globes show up. He's 2-3 weeks out on deliveries if anyone is interested.
skylightfront.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Law Dawg