Rossi model 92 mag plug screw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi model 92 mag plug screw

Post by bobbyjack »

My SS Rossi in 45Colt has a shortnened mag plug scew(it doesn;t touch the barrel) will my tube come out?

I have read that it could under heavy recoil,don't know why anyone would shorten it but it is.

Anyone know where I can get another SS one of proper lenght?

Thanks Bob
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi model 92 mag plug screw

Post by AJMD429 »

The head of the screw should bear against the tube, with the shaft of the screw in the plug, so it ought to stay in place, but if over-tightened and the head of the screw 'countersunk' below the tube and into the plug, you might have issues.

The forend/barrel-band screw may ride in a cut or groove in the magazine tube, which might keep it from travelling forward, though you'd have to check.

I got a spare one from Rossi (their contact info is on this forum if you search), because mine had stripped threads (brand new gun) and would fall out if you pushed the plug in with your finger...

I've got a 'parts order' pending now for six months with them though, and not real happy with the lack of customer service when ordering parts.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Thanks AJMD429 yes the barell and mag tube have a half moon slot where the screw goes into the barrell band.

But the mag cap screw should go all the way through and contact the dimple in the barell.

Since mine does not ,should i be concerned (or will the barrell band screw be enough)?

Bob
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually... it needn't CONTACT the barrel, but should sit deep enough that the end of the screw is inside the hole in the bottom of the barrel.

Pictures are helpful to give us a better idea of what you're talking about... :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Actually... it needn't CONTACT the barrel, but should sit deep enough that the end of the screw is inside the hole in the bottom of the barrel.
I always had the impression that since it was a 'half moon' type cutout, the primary object was to keep the magazine tube from rotating, and that contact with the barrel was perhaps intended to be otherwise minimized, especially fore/aft contact as might put strain on the barrel as it changed temperature and the magazine tube didn't. Dunno if I'm right about all that, but it just looked that way.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

AJMD429 you are probably right as someone thought that by shortning the mag cap screw they would be in some way

freefloating the barell,anyway thanks for the help. You too Griff!

Bob