My Rossi R92-51011.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Frankdozer
Levergunner

My Rossi R92-51011.......

Post by Frankdozer »

I have a Rossi R92-51011 in 357 Magnum, stainless steel, 24" octagon barrel. In the manual, part #47 Cartridge Stop Spring, it isn't clear as to when installing it does the spring hook to the left or right? Also, are there any dissasembly / assembly videos or written instructions out there.......or tricks to due as such.......First time doing this as a novice is overwhelming............
Stay Thirsty My Friend
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Rossi R92-51011.......

Post by Pete44ru »

The magazine spring must be installed with special tools, that most gunsmiths charge a LOT to use.

However, since I still have a working set, if you ship the gun to me, I'l take care of it, and get the rifle back to you in a year or three. . ;)

Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

Pete44ru, ThanK You for the generous offer. I'll think on it................I'm still open to information from the knowledgeable members of this forum. Thanks, Frank
Stay Thirsty My Friend
stickfred
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stickfred »

Frandkozer first I would like to congratulate you on your new rifle. I'm sure tha tyou'll enjoy it and look forward to your range report in the future.

Regarding your question about videos, Steve Young (aka Nate Kiowa Jones on this Forum) has a DVD that shows you how to dis- and re-assemble the R92s along with information on how to slick up the action. He also sells a few parts such as the highly recommended ejector spring and a metal follower for the mag tube to replace the yellow plastic one that Rossi installs. They can be found on his web site: http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ex&cPath=2. Steve knows the R92 action better than most anyone and is a pleasure to talk with on the phone if you have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Rick

P.S.- I'm sure that pete44ru is pretty knowledgeable but couldn't resist joking with you. There are also a couple other websites that go into breaking down the 1892 model that you could probably find by doing a Search of this Forum for Rossi R92 or 1892 rifle.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Excellent choice but we do 'require' that you post pictures of your rifle. :D

+1 on Steve's DVD and be sure to also get his steel mag follower, lower power ejection spring, and a plug for the stupid bolt safety. I have a blued barrel / case hardened receiver version like yours and love it. I did an action / trigger job as well as swapping out the parts per Steve's excellent instructions. It also got new sights (globe front and tang rear) and a bit of refinish work on the stock and my LSI Rossi is a joy to shoot. The action is smooth as snot and the trigger pull is short, smooth, and crisp. Best of all, at 200 yds, an 8" steel plate is in deep trouble using my 158grn Zero JSP bullet handloads. (I just love to hear that 'clang' with each shot!)

My neighbor liked mine so much that he bought one for himself and I slicked it up for him and added the parts. In fact, I like it so much that later that year I bought a carbine to go with. It got the same action / trigger job, same parts and stock treatment but my LSI Rossi carbine got a set of Marble sights plus a saddle ring and some leather wrap for fun. And this one is also a great shooter out to 150yds too. (About as far as my 64 year old eyes can see anymore.)

Both are weekly shooters and after 3,000 plus rounds through each, neither has had any problems and are still much more accurate than I am. I even shoot the rifle version out to 300yds at our 18" steel plate and I'm still tickled to death to hear that 'clang' from a target out that far with a pistol round!! Also, with the strong '92 action, you are good to go with even the stoutest 357mag rifle rounds (Buffalo Bore's heavy 357mag if you don't reload) so it makes a great hunting levergun for everything up to medium game.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

COSteve, Those are both really fine looking rifles. Is that tang sight a Lyman or one of the Taurus sights? or some other?

I really like the way that looks with the globe front and tang rear, I am thinking about setting up my Model 94 Classic the same way.

Seriously, I would be proud to have either one of those two. I can see why you have both; I would have a hard time deciding on just one!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Your rifle with the tang sight.....that is the 24" Octagon barreled .357?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

It sure is. BTW, my 20" carbine is also a 357mag. I love that caliber because it's cheap to handload, powerful enough for medium size game at under 150yd ranges, and can be loaded with a wide variety of bullet weights that make it adaptable for small game, varmints, and deer sized critters.
Steve
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I was asking because I have one in the back of the safe that is similar. Pretty sure mine is only a 20'' barrel with no case colors or tang though. It has been worked over by Steve and is super slick. I was wondering if mine was ready for a tang sight or if I would have to tap it for one. I guess I'll just have to go digging and find out.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

If it's a carbine then it's not but if it's a 20" octagon barreled rifle then it is.
Steve
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

COSteve wrote:If it's a carbine then it's not but if it's a 20" octagon barreled rifle then it is.

mine does have the octagon barrel.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Then it's already d&t for the tang sight.
Steve
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

COSteve wrote:Then it's already d&t for the tang sight.

Nice. Im going to pull it out of the safe and see......and then maybe order me a tang sight. I have never used a tang on anything. Should be fun to figure it out.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Frankdozer,

You can also download the Browning B92 Factory "Field Service Manual", from here:

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

The direct link is (you may not be able to use this direct link, though):

http://stevespages.com/pdf/browning_b92.pdf

Here is my cutout of the "cartridge guide installation" section (the link takes you a larger image):

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Brownin ... lation.jpg

Good luck,
Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Frankdozer
Levergunner

Post by Frankdozer »

Hagler.......Thank You !!!!.......That information is exactly what I was searching for.
Stay Thirsty My Friend
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

You are welcome, Frankdozer. The B92 Field Service Manual is a very good publication. I would love to have the actual hardcopy version.

As others have recommended, you should get Steve Young's Rossi DVD. It is a very good tutorial, if you want to make your Rossi 92 run better, smoother, and easier.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Donowitz
Levergunner

Post by Donowitz »

I think I might be resurrecting an old thread but I found this site via some google-fu and I really like the sight setup that COSteve has in this thread with the insert.

I just managed to FINALLY find a R92-51001 - I wanted the 003 or 011 but I couldn't find any of the three models for over 3 months so when one came up I jumped at it and snagged it!

When I click on his link to Brownell's it has a handful of models - which one is the right one for the R92 24" Octagon? They all seem to be pretty close to the same with differences in height of some kind?

I have never replaced a sight before but this rifle is just too awesome to leave stock sights on. I have been taking it out to 100 yards with the irons with no issue and I am willing to bet a tang sight and the globe up front will make this thing really reach out and touch some targets!

Anyone know what I should be buying here?

Also, is the sight installation just hammering out the old and hammering in the new? Or is there a tool specific to the R92?