Shooting Glasses

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Shooting Glasses

Post by getitdone1 »

What brand of shooting glasses do you prefer? I know they can be pretty expensive. What color lens?

Too. Do any of you use prescription shooting glasses to help you with iron sights. If so, what kind/brand?

When it comes to safety glasses I've sometimes had a problem with them being uncomfortable to wear. Want to avoid that.

Thanks,

Don
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting Glasses

Post by 2ndovc »

Been wearing S&W yellow lenses for a long time. No problems as of yet.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Normally I wear my regular prescription glasses for rifle shooting as well as trap or skeet .

Sometimes when I wear my contacts which is rare anymore I wear some smaller better rpofiled safety glasses I had from my last job .

I always wear contacts when i'm hunting and sometimes wear the small safety glasses if I have to go thru briars to get to my treestand . Started that a couple years ago when I got a briar in my eyeball walking out one evening !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I wear wire-frame prescription eyeglasses with polycarbonate safety lenses. My vision insurance does not cover the $50 added expense of the safety lense, but that is a small cost for the benefit I get from having them. For shooting I often add a set of clip-on yellow lenses. These I get by taking my old sunglass clip-ons to my eye doctor who installs the yellow lenses for $20.

Before I started wearing eyeglasses, I shot with a pair of yellow lens aviator style made by I believe Ray-Ban.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don,

Before I had to wear prescription glasses, I used a coupla different brands of shooting glasses. Lighting conditions really dictate what color is best. I won a set of Dillons in clear, yellow, rose and dark amber. With my RayBan "Shooting" sunglasses, I had all the bases covered.

There's lots of good info on the web as to when to use what colors. Getting each color in a prescription is an expensive deal. You might be able to find cliip-ons to try, depending on your frame style.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

With my normal glasses, I saw double front and/or rear pistol sights and a very blurry target. For rifle shooting, acquiring the target in the sights was a chore, then I labored to see the sights clearly. Even though my Rx changed yearly, nothing seemed to help.

Then I discovered Decot shooting glasses:
www.sportglasses.com/Default.asp

Now after my yearly eye examination, I mail the Rx to Decot with the old lenses and frame and in about two weeks, they are returned with new Rx cut in new lenses.

I have them cut a bifocal in the upper left corner of the right lens so I can see the pistol sights clearly. This year, new lenses were approximately $125.00. I wear the same frames that I first purchased about 15 years ago. recently, I purchased clear lenses and tinted clip-on sun glasses from Buffalo Arms:
www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3788

Was not exactly a cheap initial cash outlay, but I can see again….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I use a set called Premier Plus. Here in the UK they cost £30 a set but you get 5 different lens colours
and an insert to hold prescription lenses.
A local optician fitted a pair of single-vision prescription lenses for £30.
They are comfortable to wear but I find the lenses scratch when I get smacked in the face
by the tang sight on my Shiloh Sharps.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I wear S&W in a pinkish/orangeish looking color, they really enhance a orange target. On the lookout for other kinds though, had these for going on 15 years, they were give to me then.
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

While not specifically made for shooting, i use Oakley "Jawbone" glasses. They have very easilly interchangeable lenses, and the quality is outstanding -- price is in the "don't ask" category (around 200 bucks, and likely with a substantial markup - ouch) -- but they reduce eye strain during long days on the trails (these are multi purpose glasses and the primary use of these glasses for me is trail riding on my mountain bicycle )

I've used Oakley products for 20 years now and the newest generation stuff is the best yet

I have 2 pairs set up -- one with amber lenses and another with standard smoke lenses and the clear lens rides in the case in reserve.
Admittedly, these glasses look a bit goofy for wearing around, so i keep a pretty standard pair of RayBan's in the glove compartment for driving and going out in public, etc.

----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I have glasses for everything - driving, bicycling, fresh- and saltwater-fishing.
My shooting glasses are inexpensive - Radians amber with a pair of stick-on reading lenses attached at the bottom
http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick--Bi ... 031&sr=8-1
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Prescription--I took last years glasses and had the optician make me a half strength bi-focal on the upper part of the left lense--(my dominate eye) which I use when using metallic sights.-------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Mine are prescription, also, Ranger XL's with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.morganoptical.net/pageDispla ... ageid=7632

In a variation on Sixgun's theme, I have one entire right lens made in my intermediate correction for shooting pistols and short range rifles with iron sights. I use my normal correction for long range rifle work, silhouettes in particular.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Sixgun,

You've got a really interesting looking reloading area behind those glasses! Looks like several "Buffalo Cartridges" in the bunch.

Don
Sixgun wrote:Prescription--I took last years glasses and had the optician make me a half strength bi-focal on the upper part of the left lense--(my dominate eye) which I use when using metallic sights.-------------Sixgun

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don,
I don't know about "buffalo cartouches", but there's some big ones there. I keep a mess of original bp (Sharps,Win. etc.) on my bench---eye level. It gives me the illusion that I'm living in another era, when times were peaceful and individuals respected each other. :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD