Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Single Six

Post by damienph »

Single Six - This actually was a blue gun that someone stripped the finish off of. I alsways thought that I would blue it but it's been "in the white" for so long without any rust problems, I am probably going to leave it.

The contrast between the aluminum grip frame and ERH and the rest of the gun is much more noticeable in these pictures than in real life.
Last edited by damienph on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Single Six

Post by FWiedner »

A handsome gun, as is.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

FWiedner wrote:A handsome gun, as is.

:)
+1 Good lookin' firearm. I'd leave it alone!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How do you strip the blue off?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Old Savage wrote:How do you strip the blue off?

I bought it this way. I am guessing that it must have been disassembled and dipped into something. there is no trace of blue except for the front and rear sights. Revolver is "white" inside and out, including both cylinders. Has a nice polish too, with no damage to any rollmarks or rounded edges.

I am surprised how different it looks in the pictures, the aluminum does not stand out as much as the pictures indicate.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would have thought it would flash rust in a heartbeat....what's on it?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Blaine, I just wipe it down with Rem Oil a couple of times a year. I keep small pacs of silica-gel in all of the gun rugs/cases. Plus, we don't have very high humidity here.

I've never waxed it or anything. I also have a 1909 Argentine Mauser with the original white receiver, no problems with it either, even though I might only handle it once a year or so.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

BlaineG wrote:I would have thought it would flash rust in a heartbeat....what's on it?
I would also agree I'd think it'd rust in a New York minute. Just from skin acid if nothing else.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Single Six

Post by J Miller »

I'll bet it's a stainless gun that someone put aluminum grip frame and ERH on to reduce the weight. ALL Super Single-Six's come with screw on front sights so that is no indication.

Call Ruger's records dept in CT and give them the serial #. I'll bet it shows up as stainless.

Also the comparison between the stainless Blackhawks of the other thread and this Single-Six makes me think stainless. Bare carbon steel has a different look than stainless.

Then again you might be right.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:I'll bet it's a stainless gun that someone put aluminum grip frame and ERH on to reduce the weight. ALL Super Single-Six's come with screw on front sights so that is no indication.

Call Ruger's records dept in CT and give them the serial #. I'll bet it shows up as stainless.

Also the comparison between the stainless Blackhawks of the other thread and this Single-Six makes me think stainless. Bare carbon steel has a different look than stainless.

Joe
Well, I think we should ask jmiller.... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:
J Miller wrote:I'll bet it's a stainless gun that someone put aluminum grip frame and ERH on to reduce the weight. ALL Super Single-Six's come with screw on front sights so that is no indication.

Joe
Well, I think we should ask jmiller.... :twisted:

My BIL kept saying the same thing about it being stainless. I had to prove it to myself so a couple of years ago, I put a little cold blue on the right side of the frame... not stainless. I had a heck of a time getting the blue off.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad to see I am not the only one who has used a crown royal bag as a spare cylinder bag!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

damienph, Ysabel Kid,

Been trying to get hold of a Crown Royal bag. If you have any extras, I'll trade you a real J Miller made cylinder bag for one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A hot/caustic blue finish provides very little if no more protection from rust than bare steel. Now the old slow rust finish is different.
gvthnks
Levergunner

Post by gvthnks »

I don't think it's stainless. I've removed bluing from guns before and one was a vaquero. Looked identical and I had no rust issues either. I oiled it with CLP, and wiped it clean. Never had an issue.

Once the bluing is removed you can polish it to a pretty high luster and that SS may have been polished some. I'd leave it like it is.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Berchwood Casey makes a blue remover - if you heat the metal up, it works quick... I removed the blue from a shotgun receiver that way before.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:damienph, Ysabel Kid,

Been trying to get hold of a Crown Royal bag. If you have any extras, I'll trade you a real J Miller made cylinder bag for one.

Joe
Got ya there. I think I have a few to spare. PM me your addy again.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:damienph, Ysabel Kid,

Joe
NOW that's a great deal. I'm going to have to dig through my stuff. It has been a very long time since I've had any Crown Royal!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here's an updated picture of mine:

1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have a 5 1/2" Single-Six, my favorite .22 cal.--out of all the .22 pistols I've owned and tried I settled on this--great gun--good choice.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Those are mighty handsome grips on your piece Ysabel kid. Sets the revolver off nicely.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Here is a pic of a stainless one for comparison.
:D
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

LOL... Dang Boys... some of yall here need to think outside of the “what John Wayne had in the movies” box, and brush up a little on your arms history ...Most old time arms and armor were left in the white...It’s just easier to take care of...and just like stainless, a scratch in it can be blended and not show too much... Under most conditions bare metal doesn’t rust as long as there’s a film of oil on it... As far as I know all of the Springfield Armory muskets produced in the Civil War had the in the white finish... At some point it became known as Armory Bright finish... Don’t know if that’s a collector’s term or one used in the Springfield Armory and others. My guess is Armory bright went by the way, not because it was impractical from a care stand point, but the military figured out that shiny things are too easily seen by the enemy...But, Bluing and Parkerizing rust if you don’t keep some type of oily film on it too :lol: ....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY