*For GAK*A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

*For GAK*A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Post by Sixgun »

***Gak requested a full pic so with my limited photography skills I took one today. With the 1873 are two first gen Colts--a 45 Colt made in 1917 and a 44 Russian made in 1907.

Howdy dudes,
So.........
My bud and I cruise on into an estate auction here in Pa. that was from northern Delaware, in the DuPont area where people keep their houses at 70 degrees and humidity at 40%. 5,000 items of furniture and other junk---5 guns--------50 people bidding, 40 of them are there for the guns--most of them for the 1873. People are asking me questions on the '73--I tell 'em its been refinished-=--I lied--(white lie :D )--knowledge is power. :wink:

My bud Tom gets a pre-war Model 52 Winchester. I get this 1873 in 38-40 that if it had 10 rounds fired out of it, it was 9 too many. Like new, made in 1892. I cannot see any wear, only a few handling marks on the wood from the last 119 years. Tight action, sharp edges on the innards, loaded with case colors, fire blue on the loading gate, and that original high polish blue on the rest of the parts. Its a round barrel but I can live with that.

Nope, I ain't gonna shoot this one--safe queen :D -------------Sixgun

Ha! In all of the excitement, Lookee what I found in the buttplate! 'Ya know, being half Italian is not easy--I tend to let emotions rule over common sense and frequently overlook what I'm supposed to be looking for before I buy-but in this case, I lucked out. :D The original 4 piece cleaning rod

buttstock

forend

Lookee at those case colors!

I just added this one---I was taking the pic "ala" Ysable Kid to show the interior of the gun and when I downloaded it, I noticed my reflection of my jeans on the receiver-----thats the quality of Winchester polishing in the 1873-1900 period.

Here--this one is a bit better--it shows the sharp lettering.
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Post by Mike D. »

Excellent '73, Dude! I'll take good RB any time over a every day OB. Both were "standard", but the Os are much commoner.
Safe queen? What's that?:)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That sure is purdy. Looks like my Uberti, but yours is the real thing and it's over a century old. Your a very lucky guy. I'm envious.
Old Law Dawg
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Gee, Sixgun, I never thought of you as condoning laziness. That shooter hasn't done a lick of work in close to 120 years and you're not going to work it? :shock:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Unless it's the angle of the picture and I just can't see it clearly, the model markings are way too worn for a safe queen so I would shoot it. Refinish? Regardless, it is beautiful and in my favorite caliber too.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Outstanding '73!! And in my favourite '73 caliber as well. Once again, I have to repeat to myself, 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's guns'. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks guys :D ,
Estate and on-site auction buying is about the only way a peon factory worker like myself can afford this stuff. There's still plenty of those guns laying around in old folks homes here in S.E. Pennsylvania. It all comes down to being lucky---something like deer hunting----being in the right place at the right time.

It is said that only "HALF" of the presentation Colt revolvers have been accounted for. A few were lost to fires and other disasters but the vast majority of them have survived as only rich people had these guns and they kept them oiled and put away---these people were the first to coin the term "Safe Queen" :D .---------------------------Sixgun

BTW, check out the picture I added--third one down and look at the high polish--you can see my faded jeans on the receiver.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

VERY nice! Thanks for sharing!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

WOW!! :shock: :shock:

What a beautiful gun! CONGRATULATIONS!!

:mrgreen:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Oh Yea, I can see Ur Jeans. Thats the top of Ur pocket and it looks empty. :lol: JK. Beautiful Gun, It makes My old Marlin 93 look like someone was mad at it and made it stand in the corner of the Barn. But I am well pleased as so should U be with Urs. :mrgreen: I have a 92 in that Cal. Maybe We could go Shootin some time.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

The inletting of the wood around the top tang doesn't look like Winchester work, but as long as you're happy.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:The inletting of the wood around the top tang doesn't look like Winchester work, but as long as you're happy.

'Ya know somethin'--you always have something "smart" to say about my posts. If you know anything about photography, you will know that light has a lot to do with how a picture looks and as the sun was shining over my shoulder, it looks like the inletting is off---but its not. :D

Now, go get ready for your 9 month winter, get your hip boots on, and go out in the sheep pen. :D -------------------------- :D Sixgun :D

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Ok Sixgun i`ve had it with you, send that gun to me and we`ll be buds forever. :mrgreen:

Nice find, nice rifle. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Gorgeous - congratulations! But, unless I missed something, how about a shot of the whole gun?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You almost killed me :shock:
So much drool, I almost choked to death :cry:

Congrats---Pal :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pwl44m wrote:Oh Yea, I can see Ur Jeans. Thats the top of Ur pocket and it looks empty.
Perry,
Did you have to remind me that its 87 octane for the jeep and peanut butter and jam for the next 2 months? :D :D ------------Sixgun

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Drool...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Won't it get jealous if you don't take it out shooting and you take it's safe mates? I couldn't resist shooting it... which is why I DON'T have guns that age that're THAT nice. Congrats, good score, even if you mighta, just a teensy bit, misled the competition! You scoundrel! :twisted: :P :lol: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Very nice!

I've not seen an original 1873 in such fine condition.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: even if you mighta, just a teensy bit, misled the competition! You scoundrel! :twisted: :P :lol: :mrgreen:
Griff,
Ha! This is the East and nice guys finish last and..........well..........I did not tell the whole story---------There's this geeky guy who inherited a barn full of cash and has nothing to do but hit every estate auction in the surrounding 100 miles and always has his eye out for guns. You never see him at gunshows or gun auctions where paperwork is required. (I'm sure he's "clean".) He can't tell a Winchester from a Benelli and I personally watched him pay $750 for a Marlin 45-70. He thinks he knows what he is doing so at the auction the other night I made sure he heard my "made up" conversation with Tommy. Tommy played along. My pretend conversation with Tommy went like this, "Yea, the gun has been refinished and any guy who pays more than $800 for that is a fish and deserves to be laughed at".

Funny thing, he bid up to $750 and then got off. :wink: :D------------Sixgun

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There is absolutely nothing wrong about the fit and finish of that Winchester. I have handled many of them and can easily tell from your photos that you have the genuine article. If it was a 1886 you'd have me in palpitations, but since it's only a '73 I can easily be objective. :roll:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

so how far open was this geek guys mouth when you got done bidding?
or did you just give us a clue on the price?
its a real beaut of a gun, great find!!!!

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:
cowboykell wrote:The inletting of the wood around the top tang doesn't look like Winchester work, but as long as you're happy.

'Ya know somethin'--you always have something "smart" to say about my posts. -------------------------- :D Sixgun :D
Don't feel alone I can remmember him doing the same thing to Marlinman93 every time he posted pics of a nice Marlin regardless of whether it was an all orignal one or one he had brought back to life .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh incidently , nice find !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun - you know better! You forgot to post a "drool warning". I'm now trying to clean off my keyboard. Man, is that finish goregous. Congratulations buddy!!! 8) :mrgreen: :D
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Wow! THE FIND OF A LIFETIME! Congratulations! :mrgreen:

Is the finish actually as blue as it appears in the picture?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

The first pics are really bright blue , A few later on look about right in colour .
Either way it is beautiful . You have done well.

................Mutt
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Guys,
To answer a couple of questions on the color, well, I'm perplexed a bit as I'm using a $135 Kodak camera and everyone has their monitors set to what THEY think is right. Its a disaster here because I'm color blind with greens and reds. I guess it does look like the picture. It is very blue but the blue seems to be "more blue" when holding it in different kinds of light----incandesent---flouresent---the outside sun.

6 Point---Thanks, I thought he was singling me out. No matter where we go in life, whether its at work, on the street, in your family, on internet boards, wherever, there always a sociopath lurking.

Mike D,--Yes, thank you! This is one gun that really is a no-brainer. Not many of these cross your path in a lifetime... I could not snooze, or I would have losed---had to dig deep in shallow pockets :D

How much in $$$??---------$2,800---------------Sixgun----- I had to fight it out with a phone bidder from California.---Mike D?? :D

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Very very beautiful rifle. Great find.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That is a beautiful rifle. If I was ever fortunate enough to have one like it, I would just have to shoot it at least a little.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: *3 Pics Added*A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Post by Mike D. »

No, not me bidding this time. $2800 is a bloody give away, you thief. I'm guilty of throwing "white lie" obstructions out in the path of competitors, too. :D
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Estate sale? I heard a Museum up that way was was robbed. :D

Some guys have all the luck. Most guns I see at estate sales and auctions are sold for WAY more than they are worth...

$1500 SAA's bring $2850, etc. I did see a beater ($400 tops) pre 64 94 Winchester bring $750 once...dished screws, and side mount holes and all...
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one sixgun, really nice :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun, you got a deal and a half on that '73. If I saw a '73 like that that I could get my hands on for $2,800 I would pretty much go berserk getting my wallet out and I would be celebrating for months. Aaaargh! Why can't I stumble across a deal like that! Okay, gotta get a grip on myself and repeat slowly, 'Thou shalt not covet they neighbour's guns ..... not even his outstanding '73'. :mrgreen:
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That thing is so nice I've never seen one like it! Congrats!!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Sixgun wrote:Thanks Guys,
To answer a couple of questions on the color, well, I'm perplexed a bit as I'm using a $135 Kodak camera and everyone has their monitors set to what THEY think is right. Its a disaster here because I'm color blind with greens and reds. I guess it does look like the picture. It is very blue but the blue seems to be "more blue" when holding it in different kinds of light----incandesent---flouresent---the outside sun.
However blue it might be, it's beautiful! 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Don't mean to badger, but still waiting for a full pic of that beauty! :)
Jay Bird

Re: *For GAK*A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Post by Jay Bird »

Looks like you got that time machine fired up again. :lol: :lol:
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: *For GAK*A Holy Grail 1873 Comes Home

Post by gak »

Sixgun wrote:

***Gak requested a full pic so with my limited photography skills I took one today. With the 1873 are two first gen Colts--a 45 Colt made in 1917 and a 44 Russian made in 1907

Sixgun, thanks for accommodating me - truly a beaut...and its companions too!