took the pistols out today (plus an ugly new addition )

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

took the pistols out today (plus an ugly new addition )

Post by Streetstar »

I've done a lot of "talkin about guns" the last few weeks (months even) and not a whole lot of shootin' guns :lol: The temp here today was 106+ , so my favorite outdoor range was out of the question ---- so i had to visit a local indoor range a couple of miles from my house. Its Handguns only, so unfortunately, i couldn't bring any leverguns

Here they are, lined up just prior to their cleaning --- Winchester White box .45 ACP is duuuuuuurty -- lots of soot

I just added the big black pistol to my stash this morning --- Its a Glock Model 20 10mm. The purchase was prompted when i found a modest stash of 10mm Black Talon cartridges in one of my workbench drawers. I thought it a shame not to have something to load them in :lol: so i found this ugly little spud at my local Fun Store.
Everybody knows the pros and cons of these things so i won't bore anybody too much, but i have to admit --- the darn thing is a shooter , straight out of the box. After one magazine, i was able to back the target out to the 25 yard line and "head shots" on the B27 target were easy. I don't shoot as much as i would like, so i was happy with that :D
This will sound blasphemous, but i like the thing better than the Springfield GI in the photo (i have had some tuning problems with the GI though, to be fair) ---
the shorter barreled commander length 1911 is a Rock Island . It has only disappointed me once when it was extremely dirty (my fault) -- but even then, a couple of shots of lube on the slide to frame interface had it running strong ---- Pistols that run right and are reasonably accurate don't really give me much to talk about though.

The Glock will serve me well as a home defense firearm, and i was thinking the light weight would make it an ideal backup piece when i'm bowhunting or backpacking . It definitely doesn't replace a 1911 in the aesthetics category, but man, its a snappy performer out of the box !

----- Doug
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-- took the pistols out today (plus an ugly new addition )

Post by 20cows »

According to my brother, it's function over form.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Bought my first Glock about 18 months ago. And I'll admit, it's the first (and only) semi-auto I've ever owned. My very first shot (50 feet) was a bulls-eye, dead center. You could imagine my surprise. Needless to say any shots after that were not so good. I still haven't shot it much as I'm still working on my first box of 50. Most of the reason is I haven't accumulated brass so I don't reload for it. It's ugly and I don't like it nearly as much as my revolvers. But it's light, dependable, easily concealable, and ready right now.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Like ARs, Glocks are boringly accurate. IMO the 10mm Glocks are the best of the bunch too.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

20cows wrote:According to my brother, it's function over form.
There is a ring of truth to that, but if that statement were entirely accurate , things like corvettes and Italian sports cars would look totally different than they do now :lol:

Kind of funny, usually when i procure another firearm, whether its a no-frills 1911, a nice revolver or a levergun --- after i clean it, i might sit in my favorite chair and just admire it for a short time before putting it away. Not so with the Glock -- i cleaned the bore, wiped it down and put it in my gun case with a silent nod of approval, but little else (Kinda like my AR's i guess)
----- Doug
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Oh no, another great handgunner falls to the dreaded plastic fever: AKA: I like the Glock. Your 1911's are rolling over, wondering if they are soon for the graveyard. It's not too late, sell it quick, you can also sell or give away that ammo, that would help to try and cure the disease. If you want something different, go buy a Browning Hi-Power, at least it's steel and designed by John Browning. :( :o :shock:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rodeo kid wrote:Oh no, another great handgunner falls to the dreaded plastic fever:( :o :shock:

:lol: Truth be told, , If i could have procured a quality 1911 format in 10mm for a similar price, i would have been all over it. Alas, the 1911 10's are not that popular here and are special order items only , and usually twice the price of the Glock

I had one a few years ago in .45 ACP (model 21 i believe) --- i didn't like it that much. The grip frame was very large and the recoil impulse felt kind of odd.
The newer generation Glocks have a somewhat slimmed down "short frame" and it fits much better. Its not going to take the place of the Colt Lawman .357 i have in my nightstand just yet, -- i like to put a couple hundred rounds downrange at least before considering it totally good to go, but the ability to mount a light under the barrel is pretty nice for that type of use

The Hi-Power is on my "bucket list" of handguns to own too, but i would like a WW2 vintage model from the FN factory rather than a new production one. No particular reason, i just got mildly interested in vintage Hi Powers after reading one of "Duke" Venturinos articles about them a few months ago
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad to hear someone went shootin'. I didn't... still loungin' around inside the air-conditioned comfort... and have to go back to work tonite. Stupid, stupid, stupid way to pass time. (Working, that is)!

I have studiously avoided even shooting a Glock after the 1st, obligitory firing a clip on a buddy's. I think I hurt his feeling[*] when I handed it back, saying some like, "ugly, uncomfortable to hold, and that (fill in your favorite Naval expletive) trigger is for masochists!"

No fear of me ever buying one... I'd rather buy a Ruger 645.

[*] Yes, he only has ONE, doesn't take criticism of things he buys well. You can hit him, call his girlfriend a (oh yea, family oriented forum), tell him his horse is spavined and has a head like an Appy, but don't tell you don't like a gun or truck he's bought!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got a G20SF and I love it too. I bought a Storm Lake barrel for it as well to shoot cast boolits out of.

Energy-wise, the 10mm is basically a larger caliber .357 Magnum. They have very similar energy levels.

And you are right - it will make a great backup gun in the woods for sure. I have an El Paso Sadlery holster for it (Street Combat) that makes it really comfortable to carry.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Having shot the XD, Smith and Wesson M&P and an early Glock 17 - I still favor steel handguns, epecially the 1911 and SW K frames.

I dont have a high cap 9mm right now... and have been sorta looking for a beater G17 to fit the bill... the M & P SW's are good shooting guns too.

We have been over 100 in most of Central Oklahoma about 25 days in a row... If we have a blade of grass left in September it will be a miracle at this point. Shooting in the Air Conditioned comfort of Heartland Outdoors in Edmond tonight... Carry gun match.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

10 mil is the only one I don't have. I have the 9/40/ & 45 All compacts (why ? I couldn't tell Ya) A 10 mil will show up one day,possibly next Gun Show.
A lot of negativity on the Black Beast Here.So why r they still in Production? Oh Yea- this is a Leverguns Forum.
Caint remember which but Mike D or COsteve has a nice looking Glock. Goes to show U r not limited to Production Guns. Stretch em , shoot em, Enjoy em for what they R. "GUNS"
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My wife and son went on a kayaking trip to Valdez a couple weekends ago. Valdez, AK is on the ocean, with lots of beaches and trails and bears. The gun I sent along with them was my Glock 20 and one 15 rd magazine loaded with high energy JSP bullets. They got swamped by the wave from a ferry that passed them way out in the channel which put about a foot of water in the kayak, so I know the gun got saltwater on it. It came home looking just like it did when it left. The gun is a compromise in a lot of ways, but for practical power, reliability, ammo capacity, accuracy and durability it's a tough combination to beat. I should probably own more than one.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

What he said. And with a minimum of parts too.

Learn the 'finger indexing' technique for safety and you'll be fine with a glock.

There are tens of thousands of them being carried around right now. Nothing wrong with something that's just plain functional (but then again, I drive around and old Jeep!)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am with Griff on this one!! :wink:
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'll have to side with those that for glocks. While I think a 1911 looks better and sometimes even feels better in the hand, my compact model 23 in 40S&W "feels" good when im carrying concealed and the unmatched reliability "feels" pretty good too.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

of all the choices in Glock, that is the only version I have owned (and Loved). The model 20 is a perfect choice!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rjohns94 wrote:of all the choices in Glock, that is the only version I have owned (and Loved). The model 20 is a perfect choice!!

Considering some of the very cool firearms you own and write a sentence or two about from time to time --- that puts the G20 in some decent company :)
The airgun you posted a pic of a couple of weeks ago is on my short list actually as well :D
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Glock 30 (compact size of the 21) for some reason tends to fit hands better than the 21, even though all they did was trim the length.

I've carried one for 10 years.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a 1911 since about 1997, i've wanted one since about 1982, and every time i have the money stuff comes up (car breaks, people die, etc). This time i had the money and put it down. And Springfield's backordered...... one last try to get me to not own one i guess. I've SHOT hundreds of them. Just never had one of my own.

The G20 and compact G29 are definitely shooters. I prefer the .45 over 10mm for most things but it has it's place.

Glocks may be ugly, but they run hard and essentially forever. Mine has never given me issues in a decade of hard use and around 10,000 rounds (all original parts until in 2009 I swapped the recoil spring) and sights got swapped in 2000.

There's pretty pieces and there are tools. Most of my guns are tools. I admire form AND function and consider a good AR just as 'pretty' as a nice 1873 or Mauser. It's all how you look at it.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

The Glock 20 is a very formidable weapon for it's size. It is hard for me to think of something more powerful in such a handy platform.

Rob
NRA
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

1911s are for looking at and showing your friends, Glocks are for serious work when reliability is not an option.

I hated and cussed Glocks for near twenty years. I called them all the names one could inflict on a plastic gun. Then I NEEDED a hi-capacity handgun shooting a powerful cartridge and the Glock 20 stood alone in this category. As a result I have concluded, after many rounds fired, that the Glock 20 (probably the G17 and other Glocks as well) is the most reliable repeating handgun made - period. And they come that way right out of the box for less than 500 bones.

Anyway, have fun and welcome to the non-romantic pragmatists club.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I picked up a Glock 19 a couple of days ago. From a Pawn down in Duncan OK of all places. They offered a deep discount (times are hard and even the Pawnshops have too much cash out on loans).

Mine looks to be fired little... and $400 plus local tax got it out- the-door for $430 (dont get me started about local sales taxes in OK). You can buy a new Gen 4 for $525 if you look a little.

Glock metal lined mags run under $30 and they can be found at nearly every gun shop in the world... holsters are thick as fleas for this model---cheap to top end...leather or kydex.

I spent a half hour the other night with some crocus cloth and Mother's Mag Wheel polish buffing up the contact parts in the trigger group and striker (.25 cent trigger job).

The grip is a little blocky (a grip reduction and stipple job is in the works) ... but if I take the correct two-handed, thumbs forward grip this gun points like the finger of God and I can see the sights (some Trigicons are on the short list too)

It's not shaped the same so direct comparison is not fair... but it doesnt take up more space than a J frame... and is about the same over-all package as the Commander framed 1911. Did I mention thats with 16 rounds of 9x19 if you load this thing "+1" with the 15 round mags?
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hillbilly wrote:I picked up a Glock 19 a couple of days ago. From a Pawn down in Duncan OK of all places. They offered a deep discount (times are hard and even the Pawnshops have too much cash out on loans).

?

Isn't Merf's in Duncan too? I think thats the name of the store-- i drive through Duncan occasionally and try to stop there. Their prices are usually higher than mail order, but at least they still carry a lot of reloading equipment if a guy is in a pinch and doesn't want to wait for UPS.
Usually a handful of cool leverguns in there too :D
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I love my 1911's, but I have a Glock 17 and 34 and they just go bang everytime. They have no soul, but they are shooters.
Old Law Dawg
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Murph's is on the north end of Duncan (US 81)... that's one of the few places in OK a fella can walk in a find just about anything. He carries a good stock of reloading stuff and general gun related inventory.

Kim...that souless-ness is why I've been looking for a Glock-like late model firearm. In my old age, I have become a little too sentimental about my more "classic" guns.

If I drop this 19 over the rail .... I go get another just like it. Glock is like the Mossberg 500 of handguns (except the engineering is a heck of a lot better)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glocks run wet, frozen, full of mud, hot, dry, and neglected--they just run. Been using a Glock since 1998, LE approved.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Re: took the pistols out today (plus an ugly new addition )

Post by MikeS. »

A couple years ago I bought a G21 for the lower which I mated to a Mech-Tec 10mm upper. That is a really fun and accurate way to shoot full power 10mm.

Might I recommend a Mech-Tec upper to go with your G20? The lowers are the same, 20/21.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

:D I own the glock 21c. With the ported slide, it has less recoil kick then my buddies s@w 40. semiauto does. Glocks are easy to clean and field strip, very few parts and go bang bang all day long. love mine. Now, after buying a henry lever in a 22lr . lever and a rossi 92 lever in .357, i'm interested in the browning 92 in .357, Gun show coming up this weekend and just might to go that just to see if i can find one.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Latest from Glock school recommends replacing the recoil spring and plastic guide rod every 2500 rounds in the 10; and 45's. Every 3000 rounds in the rest. If you don't know how many are down the tube get a spare now as they tend to break at the worst moments.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had( :cry: ) a G36, compact single stack .45, and loved it. I gave my SIL a deal on it, and wish I could buy it back from him.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV