BLR ended antelope season.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

BLR ended antelope season.

Post by Don McDowell »

Wasn't really planning on filling my antelope tag this morning, but sometimes things happen. :) Was making my rounds checking pastures when I saw a little band of antelope heading across the draw in a path that was going to lead them almost straight to me if they didn't turn someplace. So I got out and sneaked up to the edge of the creek bottom where I figured they'ld be going along a little flat. Didn't see anything so crept up a little further, and then I saw his horns coming up a wash about 75 yds to my right. I knew there were 2 bucks in the bunch one smaller and one a little bigger. As they all filed up the wash and stopped to look at me I put the crosshairs between the biggest bucks eyeballs and squeezed the trigger. The gun bucked and hollered the antelope went down, and now I got jerky to get prepared. :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR ended antelope season.

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you, Don. Now don't let me see that same buck on Shiloh's forum and a '74 hanging with it. :D Well, at least I thought it was funny. :D It almost couldn't get any better other than to have someone else dress, hang and cut it up for ya.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Ok Kim you got me. :lol: danged ol lawdogs anyways. :mrgreen:
I had been hunting with the #3 and was planning to take it out this afternoon , to make a stalk on an ol buck in my south pasture that has been giving me and a few other folks the slip the last couple of seasons.... :roll: Oh well maybe next year. :)
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Nice one. Sometimes things just come together like that.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice fat little two year old. When I boned him out he had quite a bit of fat , and didn't even smell antegoaty. :| Gave the backstraps and tenderloins to my neighbors, and ol Doc even commented when we boned those out and put in his cooler that there wasn't any smell even on our hands when we sat and drank a cup of coffee. Should be some good eating.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Had to check on ya, Don. http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=18109

You're good to go. In a funny mood today. :D
Old Law Dawg
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

nice shooting Don
did i miss the chamber size of your BLR?

ollogger
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D :D Dang johnlaw anyway. :lol: Next thing you know he's gonna want to check my license and make sure I filled the tag out :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Dan it's a 243
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Don, hopefully you know I was just messing with ya. I haven't enforced a game law in probably 15 years. Not that I wouldn't if it was a flagrant violation, poaching (in my backyard), reckless endangerment, etc...
Old Law Dawg
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice shot! The 243 is a killer
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Kim yessir I knew that, and I was just pokin in right back at ya :mrgreen: Just one of them feel good sorta days.

Dave yep the 243 is one of the worlds greatest shooting inventions as far as I'm concerned.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice work Don :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Nath
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting Don speedgoats are good eating and the jerky is blue ribbon. danny
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

grats. 8)
Last edited by Pitchy on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Danny the first batch of jerky is about ready to come out of the smoker now. :mrgreen:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don Ive always had good luck with goat meat I keep the hair off the meat and wipe them down with white vinegar. The only thing better than a goat from the prairie is one thats homesteaded a alfalfa field. I know you'll have good luck with your jerky. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I just don't like the "antelope" after taste. Have had the dang stuffed cared for about every and any way possible. Even had an old friend that would come out shoot his antelope, skin it, then bone it out , wash the meat down and get it on ice right where the thing dropped, and wouldn't open the body cavity until the meat was all boned out then would go in and get the liver and the tenderloins. Could still taste the thing.
Mom always thought the things to be good eating, Dad and I always preferred the jerky and salami made from them.
Best I ever had were some that happened to die on an alfalfa field in mid December... it was a horrible accident that happened to one of our neighbors while he was cleaning his 270 :mrgreen:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well Done.
It is not the critic who counts
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don McDowell wrote:I just don't like the "antelope" after taste. Have had the dang stuffed cared for about every and any way possible. Even had an old friend that would come out shoot his antelope, skin it, then bone it out , wash the meat down and get it on ice right where the thing dropped, and wouldn't open the body cavity until the meat was all boned out then would go in and get the liver and the tenderloins. Could still taste the thing.
Mom always thought the things to be good eating, Dad and I always preferred the jerky and salami made from them.
Best I ever had were some that happened to die on an alfalfa field in mid December... it was a horrible accident that happened to one of our neighbors while he was cleaning his 270 :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don I think the bad taste in any game meat is a result of the animal pumped up with adrenaline and dying hard, I know that the goats Ive shot from ambush & dropped quick sure tasted better than those that had been pushed hard first.
AD while cleaning his rifle, luckily the goat stopped the bullet before somebody was hurt :mrgreen: danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Danny it wasn't just one it was 3 :o :shock: :lol:
Sad to see now , that ol guy died in 95 and his alfalfa field now sprouts houses with a few horses, and ,,,, well you know the rest..