MARLIN 1894 COWBOY IN 44 MAG QUESTION

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

MARLIN 1894 COWBOY IN 44 MAG QUESTION

Post by silverbuzzard »

I HAVE ONE ON HOLD AND WANT TO BUY TODAY.
QUESTION IS, SERIEL NUMBER STARTS WITH 94 SO ASSUME IT WAS MADE IN 94. IS IT BALLARD RIFLING OR DID THAT COME LATER IN THE 90'S?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: MARLIN 1894 COWBOY IN 44 MAG QUESTION

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nope not 1994 , you subtract the 94 from 100 and it makes the gun a 2006 . They didn't even start the Cowboys until 1998 I think . And yes the gun will be Ballard .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

thanks,
Anyway thanks. I was going to buy one local here for a little more[ new] but scared of the "new" Marlin.
Bought a regular 1894 in 44 2 weeks ago and the chamber was so scored from reaming [ no polish] that the shells would NOT come out of the gun after firing , scratches both ways!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

silverbuzzard wrote:Bought a regular 1894 in 44 2 weeks ago and the chamber was so scored from reaming [ no polish] that the shells would NOT come out of the gun after firing , scratches both ways!
What was THAT gun's serial number or year of manufacture...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

think it was this years production, was for sure a Rem gun., Bought it from a "friend" who works Gander MT here in Lake county , some friend . Was beautiful, best walnut I ever saw, he bought it from a customer.
Anyway, I called him the next day and he took it back, he knew it was screwy cuz he said [ before I bought it] that he polished the chamber..
Be on the lookout for it , It has beautiful wood . He says he sent it back but , I bet he dumped it at a show. Regular 1894 44 mag
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Actually had to use both hands on the lever to open the gun. Thought it was going to break ! There is no way the employee fired that gun before it left the plant or if they did ,did not care. Very sad.
I called Walmart last week cuz they sell that gun special order. The kid was very helpful ,stated they were out but he would call Marlin about getting some in. He called back[ whether it was Marlin or a large wholesaler I dont know] . Said he was told Marlin/Rem stopped production ,and are only making a few a day because of "production problems" .

Am sure when Rem fired/ dumped all the employees at MArlin , they sent stuff out the door at the end and the new employees @ REM don't have a clue whats happening
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Acqaintence, "friends" are few and far between; and would've surely told you 'bout the history, or would've made SURE it was fixed right B4 sellin' it! Just MNSHO. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

you betcha!
My father in law told me at age 19 , 40 years ago that I would not have 5 true friends in my whole life.
He was one ,now gone . Another passed last week and my last one is living in Montana , thats 3 !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

silverbuzzard wrote:you betcha!
My father in law told me at age 19 , 40 years ago that I would not have 5 true friends in my whole life.
He was one ,now gone . Another passed last week and my last one is living in Montana , thats 3 !
You'll find you have several on here, if you giv'em a chance. 8) :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

thanks , I believe that
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I could be wrong, and someone please feel free to correct me if you know different but I was under the impression that all the Marlin Cowboy guns with the octagon barrel have ballard rifling.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rusty wrote:I could be wrong, and someone please feel free to correct me if you know different but I was under the impression that all the Marlin Cowboy guns with the octagon barrel have ballard rifling.
That's my understanding as well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Rusty wrote:I could be wrong, and someone please feel free to correct me if you know different but I was under the impression that all the Marlin Cowboy guns with the octagon barrel have ballard rifling.
That's my understanding as well.
That is correct to the best of my knowledge !

I had a couple 1895CB's that were , both 336CB's in 30-30 and 38-55 were , I also had 1894CB's 24" pipes in 357 , 44-40 , 44 MAG and 45 Colt that were ballard also .

It was my understanding that the Cowboy models started in 1998 and 1998 was the year the 444's and 45-70's went ballard . I think the plain 30-30 and 35 REM models still were Micro and of course the 39A . The pair of 336D's I had were Micro (a 35 REM version of the Guide Gun) . Also the 1894FG I had was Micro .

But to be honest I've don't have a problem with cast bullets in Micro barrels . And I attribute that to a discussion I had with Ranch Dog maybe 7 years ago on Marlinowners I believe . Hence all but two of the 26 Marlin's I own at this time are Micro Grooved and I shoot CAST bullets in them ALL :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

silverbuzzard wrote:Am sure when Rem fired/ dumped all the employees at MArlin , they sent stuff out the door at the end and the new employees @ REM don't have a clue whats happening
It could be the 'new' employees are clueless, OR it could be the 'old' employees quit caring once they knew they were out the door. I've definitely seen that happen at more than one business on more than one occasion...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "