OT--Bloodline of this dog?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Bloodline of this dog?

Post by getitdone1 »

A few months ago a stray dog made it's appearance here and we, early on, were impressed with it personality and size. It's a female, tall with long legs, ears that hang down and a tail that curls. Looks a lot like a German Shepard yet with some of the differences I've mentioned. She likes to play "fetch," chases butterflies and sometimes sleeps on top of the picnic table.

Can some of you make a good guess about this dog's bloodline? I guess she's part German Shepard but am puzzled about the rest of her bloodline.

Couldn't help myself. Took pictures of both dogs today. This one's special since it's the only dog we've ever had that was born here. It's mom is smaller, a stray that found it's way here and looks very different than this dog. This dog's father surely was a full-blooded English Springer Spaniel since she looks nearly full-blooded herself. Likes water and is a hunter. About 9 months old.

Don
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT--Bloodline of this dog?

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Maybe part LAB by the looks of her ears,does she have webbed feet?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm betting she's all good dog.... :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Definitely German Shepherd, as you already know, but as for the other, ??? Could be lab. Lots of mixed dogs seem to have lab in 'em. Could also be Rhodesian Ridgeback, or maybe one of the short-ear hound breeds, or who knows? I don't, but I wish I did. The curly tail could help narrow it down. Akitas, Chows, Huskies, Malamutes, and several other breeds have curly tails. My bet is he's probably got more that two breeds in him. As long as he's a good dog, that's what really matters. He's a good looking one.

Your spaniel is also a good looking dog. Looks almost just like my brother's Brittany Spaniel.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

id say shep. & greyhound
most mutts that stray in make the best dogs
we have 2 now but both getting old, hate that
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Areal good looking dog, most likely Hienz 57.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's Dawg.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Your spaniel looks like he could have a good chunk of Springer of field strain...sure looks like the face/muzzle of one. A young one especially, with ear hair cut back--or not much to begin with as a lot of fields don't--can resemble a Brittany's flaps.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd say G. Shepherd and Greyhound as ollogger said. Or along those lines.
Old Law Dawg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm guessing German Shepard and Chow from the curly tail. The other looks more Brittany than Springer, and a check of the feet will tell for sure. The long legs and shorter ears are Brittany, and Springers are web feet, so if it isn't webbed it confirms the Brittany.
By the way, Brittany's were taken off the Spaniel list by AKC in recent years. They are no longer considered part of the Spaniel lineage.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice looking dog Don. I can't help much on possible lineage.

I think all dogs have web feet, at least all I've ever owned or looked at. I can't tell any difference between "water" dogs and any other.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll go with Shepard & greyhound, w/maybe some chow mix also.
BlaineG wrote:It's Dawg.... :wink:
JerryB wrote:Areal good looking dog, most likely Hienz 57.
My favorite dog I ever owned was a Springer Spaniel/English setter mix; liver & white w/liver speckles. Really laid back until I picked up a shotgun, then ran amuck until she got out of the truck in the field. One snap of my fingers and she was all business. Completely natural hunter, as I didn't know anything about how to train a gundog. She sure spoiled me on all the German Shorthairs & Labs I've had since. I got her for free as a breeder's "oops", but sold her for an offer I couldn't refuse! Had one other like mix and she was great also. Turned down money for her and am convinced the guy stole her when he moved a few months later.

Anyway, good looking dogs. If ya need to find a home for Springer....
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

The big dog has the longest toenails I've ever seen. When the small momma of the Springer looking dog asked for a fight with this big dog, she found out it wasn't a good idea--real quick. Still, this dog is as gentle as you'd want. I've been quite a distance from the house and this dog would meet me. I'd pat it a few times and off it goes for quite a distance, brings back it's toy wanting to play "fetch." Cute. When it drinks water it really drinks, making lots of noise.

The Springer Spaniel looking dog likes the water. I've read that's one of their characteristics. On a hot day she'll get in a small plastic child's play pool and lay there for some time. She wags her tail a lot and when in the house lying down, if you speak to her, her tail gets to working making a noise on the floor. Likes to get up against your legs. Likes to "play bite" too.

We have a time with fleas, especially with this Springer Spaniel looking dog. Not much luck with products we buy.

Another big problem is all three dogs chasing cars going by the house. A litter mate of the Springer Spaniel looking dog was killed chasing a pickup pulling an implement. Digging holes is another problem.

The momma dog started a lot of these bad dog habits and, of course, the pups followed.

Don
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

You've got a few great looking dogs there! Reason I think the one could easily have Springer lineage especially of the field variety--that youngin could easily grow up to be one of these serious looking shootin' Springers :) (not mine)

Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I believe you can have a DNA test done on a dog and they can come close to what mix it is. A This was on the net somewhere. Of course it probably isn't cheap. Some people who want perbred show dogs will have DNA trace done to quell lineage questions in serious competitions. Just a thought. I have always like Collies and German Shepard mix. Build of a Collie and colorization muscle structure of the Shepard. One other was 1/2 and 1/2 Greyhound and Labrador Retriever. Both dogs were smart and very intelligent. FWIW
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

dogtrainingwarehouse.com/products/Mars-Wisdom-Panel-Insights-Dog-DNA-Test.html
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Cliff wrote:I believe you can have a DNA test done on a dog and they can come close to what mix it is. A This was on the net somewhere. Of course it probably isn't cheap. Some people who want perbred show dogs will have DNA trace done to quell lineage questions in serious competitions. Just a thought. I have always like Collies and German Shepard mix. Build of a Collie and colorization muscle structure of the Shepard. One other was 1/2 and 1/2 Greyhound and Labrador Retriever. Both dogs were smart and very intelligent. FWIW
Darn, beat me to it. It's a pretty simple, for the dog anyway, test. But, if she's a good family dog, it don't matter. I always say what my Dad said "Mom was a workin' girl, and Dad was a traveling man". I used to say that as a kid, and never understood it till I was older. Now I know why folks would smile when I said it. :oops:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

One of you guys mentioned Brittany rather than Springer Spaniel. Read a little about both of the dog breeds. Seems they are pretty much the same but the Brittany is a pointer and the Springer (springs at) flushes the birds. Brittany originated from Spain and the Springer from either northern France or England. Author wouldn't say which is best and recommended owning both. Spaniel was dropped from Brittany name back in the 80s in this country. Well...by the experts, at least.

Don