You see gun stuff in the oddest places...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

You see gun stuff in the oddest places...

Post by Hobie »

I was sitting with my wife chatting last night, the dog was sacked out on her bed and I didn't want to get up. Bored, I started with the remote control. Ran onto a show called "Ghost Adventures" and they were at the old Remington factory in Bridgeport, CT. They closed the facility in 1986 but it looks as if it has been closed for a 100 years. They went up in the shot tower and you got to see some of the mechanisms, hoists, and such they used to make shot. You also got to see a bit of the basement where the range was.

Now I see that the buildings are scheduled for demolition and that there was a fire at the facility.

My wife was laughing at me, we came into the show after it had started and the people only mentioned that it was an ammo manufacturer and in CT and I knew who, what and where...

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You see gun stuff in the oddest places...

Post by Pete44ru »

[Now I see that the buildings are scheduled for demolition and that there was a fire at the facility.]

Ratz - Somewhere a President slept is a National Monument, but not that shot tower ! :evil:

What a shame..............................

Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

That is one fascinating piece of architecture regardless of the history.
There are many old buildings being demolished every day. A friend and I used to try to capture what we could of obscure old structures in photos. I was a week late arriving at the Roseville Prison (Roseville, Ohio - famous for pottery at one time) as someone had boiught it, fenced it off and posted guards. I believe it is now gone.

It definitely is a shame to see monuments such as these disappearing at such a high rate. Sometimes the only saving grace is that they are located on the property of someone who cannot afford to demolish it. Several old mill ruins in Ohio survive only because they are not located where someone would be eager to develop. Otherwise, the rest of those would be gone too.
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

It seems a shame to me that we in the USA cannot preserve our old buildings. When in the Army in Europe my family toured buildings five hundred and more years old which are still in use. Surely someone could find a use for these old buildings. Newer and bigger is not always better.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If you don't tear down old buildings, folks can't make money tearing them down and building new ones. This provides jobs for many people and profit for the top dogs. This is the American way! Pity!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It also keeps the farm land open.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Agreed, living in Italy, houses that were 300 yrs old were 'fairly new" in some towns. Some had been occupied for 500 years almost continously.
tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

One of the big pushes for new buildings is the Government's push for building and fire codes.
We tried to open a shop in a cool old fire station and we had so much we had to update and bring up to code before being able to open a new business it was cheaper to tear down the old building and build a new generic steel building.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

timkelley wrote:It seems a shame to me that we in the USA cannot preserve our old buildings. When in the Army in Europe my family toured buildings five hundred and more years old which are still in use. Surely someone could find a use for these old buildings. Newer and bigger is not always better.
Charles wrote:If you don't tear down old buildings, folks can't make money tearing them down and building new ones. This provides jobs for many people and profit for the top dogs. This is the American way! Pity!
Too bad the new ones that they build don't last nearly as long as the old ones they tear down!
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876