OT question for CA residents - Break cleaner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT question for CA residents - Break cleaner

Post by J Miller »

Here in IL I buy most of my break cleaner from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

The stuff is non-Chlorinated. On the label it lists all the nasty stuff it contains, tells how to and not to use it, then goes on to say: "Not for sale or use in California."

So what do you CA residents use for break cleaner? Do they make a special CA version of this product? Just wondering.

It does make a great cleaner for the stuff that gets stuck in the innards of a lever gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: OT question for CA residents - Break cleaner

Post by Old Savage »

We have all kinds of special stuff out here -- because we are so special. But they keep changing things. Outers made some great stuff in a black spray can. Don't see it listed now. They seem to have another group options now. The dems get all weak in the knees when they think of banning something. They just love the idea. Brake cleaner? Not sure what the rules on that would be.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I hope that it is not a can of Politician Sweat! You can never get anything clean with that stuff. :lol:
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Here in Montana I have been using the CRC (red can) for years. It makes a fantastic
yellowjacket wasp killer to boot. I have been getting it at Wally World but now they
only carry the worthless CRC (green ) can. Now I have to get the red can at the auto parts store.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

CA politicians have taken banning to an art form. These morons will ban themselves out of existence. Too bad they can't ban stupidity, we would get a whole new government here.

Not getting political, honest.....

Seriously, they ban all sorts of chemicals. Heck, just the other day, my wife and I went to a art/craft fair in Pismo Beach. She bought some well made cooking aprons. One is plastic laminated to a cotton liner that only has to be wiped down, not washed in machine. Cool idea, I think. Well when her "green" minded sister sees it, the first comment is, "Is this the plastic without those blah blah (she didn't even know the name for it), that stuff is really bad for you. It's the smooth plastic that has it." ???????

I am sure she read this somewhere and has avoided clear plastic ever since. I just rolled my eyes and walked away from that conversation before I said something I would get in trouble for, from my wife.

Some companies just refuse to sell here, and the "banners" think they won. very sad.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Oh, for the original question. We have brake cleaner here, but I never even look to see what's in it. It seems to work.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Yes, there is a special California-compliant version, no kidding! Says so right on the label.

Not sure what the difference is, but over half the labeling is in Spanish :roll:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Is break cleaner another term for a clean break???
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shasta,
Maybe that is the difference; it's not CA compliant unless all the illegals can read it. Oh dear did I say that :roll:

How about this, just for giggles and grins, peal the label off it and scan it and email it to me for a comparison????

Ridgerunner,
Not sure, but if you squirt wasps with it the die like RIGHT NOW.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Joe- PM sent.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shasta wrote:Joe- PM sent.

Shasta
PM received and email on it's way to you.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I got the pic of the label from Shasta, thanks a bunch for taking all the trouble to do that, and compared it to ours.
It looks like the only difference between CA compliant and ours is one less ingredient in ours.
CA = Acetone 67-64-1, Heptane 142-82-5, Methanol 67-56-9, Toluene 108-88-3 and Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9.
Ours = Acetone 67-64-1, Methanol 67-56-9, Toluene 108-88-3 and Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9. No Heptane.

I can't see any other difference except the added Spanish on the label.

Now I know the difference.

Joe
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

I think that the Carbon Dioxide, and the Heptane, are propelleants. The other chemicals ar solvents. :?: :idea: I find it stange that California lets the CO2 stay, but gets rid of the heptane. Acetone & toluene smell like they would violate California's air quality standards, as well as, their "cancer & disease" laws. :idea: :?:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage