OT-White stuff on old bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

OT-White stuff on old bullets

Post by claybob86 »

Anyone know how to stop the white powdery stuff from forming on old lead bullets? I have a pretty nice collection of old cartridges and would like to put a stop to that.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-White stuff on old bullets

Post by J Miller »

I've got some that have been shellacked. Some have been waxed too.
Others seem to have a light coating of lube on them that's keeping them looking nice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Note that 'white stuff' is lead oxide, and VERY toxic; metallic lead doesn't dissolve in water, so doesn't get into your system easily, but the oxides do both. Be VERY hygenic and careful if/when cleaning off that stuff.

I use paper towels and throw them all away directly, and do such cleaning outside in the driveway (where we won't be planting any garden crops). I should wear gloves, but don't, but I do at least wash my hands aggressively afterwards.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

AJMD429 wrote:Note that 'white stuff' is lead oxide, and VERY toxic; metallic lead doesn't dissolve in water, so doesn't get into your system easily, but the oxides do both. Be VERY hygenic and careful if/when cleaning off that stuff.

I use paper towels and throw them all away directly, and do such cleaning outside in the driveway (where we won't be planting any garden crops). I should wear gloves, but don't, but I do at least wash my hands aggressively afterwards.
As a toxic heavy metals, you actually should be keeping towels separate and disposing them properly as 'hazardous materials.'
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

Check with some other collectors. I forget the type of wax recommended, but there's a type many cartridge collectors use that preserves the lead and the brass.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That white powder is lead oxidation, a light brushing (outdoors) with
an old soft toothbrush brushes most of it off. I personally like the
vintage look of it. 8)

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Some years ago I bought several hundred 260gr .45 Colt bullets that had all oxidized. They shot fine, just looked ancient. Might just be for all I know.
I kept 50 of them back and loaded them into once fired cases with some dome top RWS primers. Now after a couple years that box of ammo has developed a really nice "vintage" patina. I use it sometimes for a photo prop. Doubt if I'll ever shoot 'em.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:As a toxic heavy metals, you actually should be keeping towels separate and disposing them properly as 'hazardous materials.'
Good point. I've only done maybe a dozen at a time, four or five times total, so the total amount is pretty insignificant though.

We used to have a really good 'tox-a-way' thing a couple times a year, and you could take solvents or metals or whatever, but NOW we don't even have anyone who will recycle drycell/flashlight batteries. :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:Note that 'white stuff' is lead oxide, and VERY toxic; metallic lead doesn't dissolve in water, so doesn't get into your system easily, but the oxides do both. Be VERY hygenic and careful if/when cleaning off that stuff.
And wear gloves whenever you handle them. The oxides are what get absorbed into your skin whenever you handle lead... That powder is OLD lead oxide and absorbs probably 10 times faster than solid lead that hasn't oxided to the point it's become powdered.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Thanks for the good info, guys! I'll be careful with that stuff! :shock:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am a CESQG of hasmat by the state of Ca. I think you should wipe them off with an aloe kleenex and throw those away.

Actually may not be a covered event and WE are the pickiest!

http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/deh/a ... 004adc4a92_

It appears they do not want you to know. That is the link from the info from the site but it will not open from here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OS,

What is: CESQG ?

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I see why you abbreviate it.

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

You can use Conservator's Wax to coat the brass and bullets. That will keep them looking great.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I coat my brass and bullets with acetone I have dissolved a bit of clear plastic in. The acetone evaporates and leaves a coating of plastic to protect things. Never have had to re-coat any, last for years even if you handle them.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

KirkD wrote:You can use Conservator's Wax to coat the brass and bullets. That will keep them looking great.
Thanks, Kirk, I'll try that. Got some on order, from Canada, no less! :)
pdawg.shooter wrote:I coat my brass and bullets with acetone I have dissolved a bit of clear plastic in. The acetone evaporates and leaves a coating of plastic to protect things. Never have had to re-coat any, last for years even if you handle them.
That sounds like a good idea too! What kind of plastic, styrene?

Thanks.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Plexaglass or Laxan.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

On .22s, I always thought it was a wax lube.....I used to rub it off between my fingers :roll: No wonder I mutated into the handsome EssOhBee I am today :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV