threaded lug broke off barrel..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

threaded lug broke off barrel..

Post by smokenrust »

OK, first off this is not a lever gun but an H&R 088 12g shotgun that I aquired not to long ago. It was a bit rusty so I decided to finally take it apart an derust it. Found the forearm had been adhesived to the barrel, lug that the forearm attaching screw screwed into was broken off the barrel. :shock:
Now before I proceed in bluing barrel, I need to get the mounting lug reattached. What would you fellows do to solve the problem?
I thought about reguler solder, silver solder, brazing, spot welding, or find someone with mig welder... Just cant even think about epoxy or jb welding the mounting lug back on. Whats the best way to fix this? Just send it back to H&R? :lol: Thank, SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: threaded lug broke off barrel..

Post by BigSky56 »

silver solder. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Silver solder or braze it prior to reblue - Just be sure to use a heat sink of some kind to keep the heat away from and/or spreading to the chamber and/or locking lug surface..

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Silver solder is what I used when I worked for Westley Richards.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Thanks for affirmation on the silver solder, thats what I had figured I should use.
Pete44RU, thanks for the reminder of heatsinking...
Yup, repair, blue... polish and shoot
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...