OT--Shooting the Thompson

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

OT--Shooting the Thompson

Post by Pitchy »

Took the Thompson out for a shoot and a few shots with the 1911.

Video.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT--Shooting the Thompson

Post by Griff »

.22's? And a Thompson w/o full auto is like eggs w/o bacon!!! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote:.22's? And a Thompson w/o full auto is like eggs w/o bacon!!! :lol: :lol:
45`s, and it`s still fun, i can bump fire the Thompson if i want the full auto feeling. :)

Because I can :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I had one of those. They sure are fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I had one too.

There was the 'cool' factor, but other than that it was just heavy and not of much use for anything.

I downgraded to a Ruger Camp 45, and don't really miss the Thompson.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cool video. I got a big bunch of loaded .45 ACP ammo from back when I owned a couple 1911 types. That would sure reduce that to empties right quick :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys, i was watching Combat one day and that`s all it took for me to have to get one. They are just a fun gun and nostalgic, i`d like to have a BAR too. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote:Thanks guys, i was watching Combat one day and that`s all it took for me to have to get one. They are just a fun gun and nostalgic, i`d like to have a BAR too. :)
Pitchy,
Cooooooollll dude! I remember "Combat" with Vic Morrow.

Sure, your Thompson is an Auto-Ordnance with the 16" er, but...........for a few bucks (and a $200 ticket) you can install a 10" er on there---although still cool, it raises the cool factor. I always prefered to leave mine the way it was--after 5K or more rounds--they shoot AND hold together.--since been sold.

BAR? I watched one go at an auction two weeks ago---NIB semi-auto version-------3 g's (ouch) They can be had for under 2---There's always guys with more money than brains

Ma-Deuce??? The "Big 50". I looked at one last week while in Colorado in a very cool gunshop that deals in full auto, semi auto and other black gun stuff. Near new semi-auto version with a military tri-pod---------10g's :shock: Its at www.MachineGunTours.com
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I remember about 20 years ago they were selling the Browning 50`s with tripods in Gun List for 2,500 Simi-auto, should of bought one :roll: 30-06 for 1,500
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

how do you get your brass back? In all that tall grass, i'm guessing they are hard to find. :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rjohns94 wrote:how do you get your brass back? In all that tall grass, i'm guessing they are hard to find. :wink:
We thought that same thing, will take the metal detector out there and find some of it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Shot a full auto one once, with a small drum 30-shot? what a blast 8) Too bad the government doesn't trust us with them anymore :cry:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

tman wrote:Shot a full auto one once, with a small drum 30-shot? what a blast 8) Too bad the government doesn't trust us with them anymore :cry:
Would be fun to have one but spendy to shoot, every once in a while i`ll bump fire it or the AR for a quick rush.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

tman wrote: Too bad the government doesn't trust us with them anymore :cry:
Tman-
Its a piece of cake for anyone with a clean record to buy any transferable machine gun, silencer, or short barreled rifles & shotguns--------as long as you don't live in new jersey, maryland, new york, kalif., and a few others. Here in Pennsylvania, you just have to be a good boy and $200 for each toy---and wait 90 days----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

pitchy,
Your a darn good shot friend.(with em both)
You not only look like a bad dude, you shoot like a bad dude too brother! :lol: :mrgreen:
Well Done!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

madman4570 wrote:pitchy,
Your a darn good shot friend.(with em both)
You not only look like a bad dude, you shoot like a bad dude too brother! :lol: :mrgreen:
Well Done!
Thanks bro, i think :lol:
Just a big teddy bear that speaks softly and carries a big stick. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sixgun wrote:
tman wrote: Too bad the government doesn't trust us with them anymore :cry:
Tman-
Its a piece of cake for anyone with a clean record to buy any transferable machine gun, silencer, or short barreled rifles & shotguns--------as long as you don't live in new jersey, maryland, new york, kalif., and a few others. Here in Pennsylvania, you just have to be a good boy and $200 for each toy---and wait 90 days----------------Sixgun
Oh yeah, it's cake ...

... as long as you don't mind being licensed like a dam**d dog.

:x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool, Pitchy. That Thompson shoot from closed bolt? I thought all Thompsons shot open bolt.
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

kimwcook wrote:Cool, Pitchy. That Thompson shoot from closed bolt? I thought all Thompsons shot open bolt.
Yepper, that`s how they had to change the works so it can only fire semi. :roll:
Should of done better with the 1911, had the laser on but couldn`t see it on the target with the sun shinning on it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Was at a range once, just a couple of us and a guy came by with an old school full auto. This one was blued and classy walnut.

He was on military team and had plenty of .45 so we got a shoot a stick or two. Won't say it was more fun than doing the horizontal bop with a cute young thing, but it was more fun than doing it with an ugly one. (grin)

For the guys, actually the real men that carried these in WWII, my respect went up exponentially. The weapon is heavy. And then these guys were carrying around multiple magazines of .45 and they were not light either.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

wecsoger wrote:Was at a range once, just a couple of us and a guy came by with an old school full auto. This one was blued and classy walnut.

He was on military team and had plenty of .45 so we got a shoot a stick or two. Won't say it was more fun than doing the horizontal bop with a cute young thing, but it was more fun than doing it with an ugly one. (grin)

For the guys, actually the real men that carried these in WWII, my respect went up exponentially. The weapon is heavy. And then these guys were carrying around multiple magazines of .45 and they were not light either.
Real heavy, so heavy they made Vick a wood one to carry in Combat, mine is the aluminum lightweight model at 13 lbs. :shock: :lol:
But cool goes a long ways, Sharps gets kinda heavy after a trek around the 40
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote:I remember about 20 years ago they were selling the Browning 50`s with tripods in Gun List for 2,500 Semi-auto, should of bought one :roll: 30-06 for 1,500
I remember when a friend who was a class-III dealer offered to sell me a M-2 full-auto for $7,000, and it was way out of my league (I was only 30 years old, and still in college/residency so had no income yet - just lots and lots of student loans). He then offered me a Ruger AC-556 for $1,400 instead (stainless, no less...! 8) ), and although I could have borrowed a bit and 'afforded' it, I declined the offer.

Now I wish I'd have taken him up on it.

Of course, now, I wish I'd have bought a bunch of those $79 SKS's, or $300 Garands, or any number of other cool stuff I've seen increase in price...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Love the Tommy - and so does Y2K, though he is not quite big enough to shoulder it yet.

His buddy is though!

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very cool toy and video. I got to shoot an original Model 1928 once when I was about 14 and my grandfather said I had grin on my face from ear to ear for the next week. Second coolest gun I've ever shot (first is a Smith Triple Lock). Keep on having fun,

Eric
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote:
Griff wrote:.22's? And a Thompson w/o full auto is like eggs w/o bacon!!! :lol: :lol:
45`s, and it`s still fun, i can bump fire the Thompson if i want the full auto feeling. :)
Because I can :lol:
Pitchy,

I know the feeling well... I carried one of those in VN. And then again all over the Pacific whenever we had to provide our own guards for payroll runs, security for personnel, or ship's security when in dubious waters... (member of the ship's security force as part of my "extra duties!" Hating giving it up for a M-16 when we had to "upgrade"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I worked for the county we had a mechanic in the shop that had been at the Battle of the Bulge. He carried a Thompson there. He was telling a bunch of us about the fighting there and complaining about how limited the range was on the Thompson. At one point he was advancing and they came to a point where there were some Germans running behind a stone wall from left to right. He said they were about 350 yards out and he felt like a spectator. He said he could see the heads bobbing up and down , then count the bodies as they ran past a spot where the wall was blown away. After having enough watching without being able to do anything, he slipped the selector to semi and raised the ladder sight. As the next head came bobbing along he squeezed off a shot as the head was about to hit the break in the wall. To his surprise the German went down. As his unit advanced to the spot, he found the wounded German laying on the ground holding himself. His crotch was bloody and he was mumbling to him self "Peter kaput, peter kaput."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff, pretty dern cool, salute. 8)

Rusty neat story, i never use the ladder sight on mine, just use the slot in the bolt. The ladder keeps climbing up when shooting, figured they did that so ya could hit them the further away they ran. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Of course, now, I wish I'd have bought a bunch of those $79 SKS's, or $300 Garands, or any number of other cool stuff I've seen increase in price...
I remember seeing piles - and I mean piles - of WWI and WWII bolt-action rifles, all less than $100. Springfields, Mausers, Enfields, Carcanos, Ariskas - just about anything. Sigh...
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

My Uncle carried a Thompson in the Korean War. He was a paratrooper and also served in the occupation of Germany. He was busted from sargeant to private for beating a German with a dog chain after the German spit on him. He told me the proper way to fire the tommygun was to lay it over on its side and sweep short arcs back and forth. The first time i fired a full auto M1A1 Thompson, I figured out why...I tried using the sights and all the brass, smoke and fire flew straight up in my face!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rock-steady wrote:My Uncle carried a Thompson in the Korean War. He was a paratrooper and also served in the occupation of Germany. He was busted from sargeant to private for beating a German with a dog chain after the German spit on him. He told me the proper way to fire the tommygun was to lay it over on its side and sweep short arcs back and forth. The first time i fired a full auto M1A1 Thompson, I figured out why...I tried using the sights and all the brass, smoke and fire flew straight up in my face!
Yep, i believe the gun was made as a trench sweeper.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

[Homer Simpson]mmmmmmmmmThompson[/Homer Simpson]

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:[Ma-Deuce??? The "Big 50". I looked at one last week while in Colorado in a very cool gunshop that deals in full auto, semi auto and other black gun stuff. Near new semi-auto version with a military tri-pod---------10g's :shock: Its at http://www.MachineGunTours.com

I stopped by that store after seeing your post on Saturday. It is right around the corner from the suite i was stating in in Lakewood.
Was a cool store, i got there too close to closing time, but i did see that big M2 sitting on the floor. Picked up a couple of Magpul trinkets for my AR's, (can always use more Pmags) but didn't have time to peruse the store in detail. It looks like it is worth another trip back next time i am in the area though

Was nice to be someplace that only gets up to 92 degrees in the afternoon vs 110 degrees . i wish i could've stayed longer
----- Doug