Range Report: Browning 95 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Range Report: Browning 95 30-06

Post by Mainehunter »

I acquired the rifle over a month ago but just been so darn busy :evil: :evil: this summer I haven't had any time to shoot it. Well I couldn't take it anymore so I took part of the afternoon off, grabbed what ever ammo I had, the rifle and off to the range I went! The only ammo I did have were loads I made up for my Mauser 98, used them in my moose hunt last fall: 180grn Hornady SP backed by 55 grains of IMR 4350 and CCI 200. The rifle is equipped with Williams rear peep sight and gold bead front sight.

This was at 50 yards.

This was at 75 yards.

I did have a hard time focusing on the front bead because of the afternoon sun in my face! It was interesting to note the first shot I took at 50 & 75 yards landed dead on windage but the other two shots went to the right practically touching each other. The trigger is somewhat to get used to it's pretty tight. All in all I like the way it shoots, has potential and it felt good to get back to the range :D :D

Mainehunter :wink:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Range Report: Browning 95 30-06

Post by Terry Murbach »

YESSIREE, THOSE BROWNING 1895 RIFLES AND CARBINES ARE SUPERB GUNS. ALL OF 'EM LINED UP STRAIGHT AS A MOONBEAM AND RARELY EVER NEED A WINDAGE SIGHT ADJUSTMENT. I HAVE A BR.'95 30-40 AND IT SHOOTS LIKE A DREAM.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What surprised me was just how slick those Browning 95s are. I think they are about slicker than any other lever I ever shot and that's before they're even broken in!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Hobie wrote:What surprised me was just how slick those Browning 95s are. I think they are about slicker than any other lever I ever shot and that's before they're even broken in!
YEP. IT IS BECAUSE THE WORKERS ARE ALL LUBED WITH MIRUKU SAKE AND IT SPILLS INTO THE ACTIONS SO THEY'RE WELL LUBED TOO.....

ba ba ba BING....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Mine in 30-06 is one of the most accurate lever guns I own. They have short throats, so watch when reloading 180 gr round nose.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:
Hobie wrote:What surprised me was just how slick those Browning 95s are. I think they are about slicker than any other lever I ever shot and that's before they're even broken in!
YEP. IT IS BECAUSE THE WORKERS ARE ALL LUBED WITH MIRUKU SAKE AND IT SPILLS INTO THE ACTIONS SO THEY'RE WELL LUBED TOO.....

ba ba ba BING....
:lol:

Frankly I could use some sake, or something, this morning.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

1895 Winchesters are the coolest 3006's, maybe , except for the BARs. :twisted:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got an old one in 30-40 and a new one in 405 Win (both Winchesters) and they are both slick as can be too. And they shoot like that too.

Looks like you got a "normal" 95 there! :P

Here's a video of me shooting 4 quick shots at 50 yards - slowed down to 1/2 speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMY7BOI ... ideo_title
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

O.S.O.K.... How's the trigger pull on your 405 :?:

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My beat up old Winchester is a sure enough shooter, too. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mainehunter wrote:O.S.O.K.... How's the trigger pull on your 405 :?:

It's probably around 5 lb.s but it breaks clean. Good for hunting.

MikeD - that's a nice un - and interesting how they marked the calibers back then - mine's marked "30 US".
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Congrats! Your really going to enjoy that rifle.
My Browning 06 has got to be one of the most accurate rifles I own. I just need to go hunt something with it!
How do you like the Williams sight? I have been meaning to replace the stock rear sight with one of the repop climbing Lymans, but I have always liked the Williams.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

My wife gave me this Winchester 95 30-06 six years ago for our 25th anniversary -
(OK - so I did "help" her find it - we husbands are obligated to help our wives any way we can)

With the Williams FP71 rear aperture sight - aperture removed for "ghost ring"

I did have to put on a taller front sight but, I like that white stripe blade -

I zeroed the sights to hit POA at 25 yards and "fine tuned" it to hit 2" above POA at 100 yards - not bench rest but fist rest on the range table - pairs under one MOA -

Of course my eyes were younger then - not quite 80 and now, at 85 - not quite so good - but not bad enough to spoil my weekly trip to the range - still stay in the 8 ring mostly - cataract removed but some ARMD (age related macular degeneration ) - not the treatable kind
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:O.S.O.K.... How's the trigger pull on your 405 :?:

It's probably around 5 lb.s but it breaks clean. Good for hunting.

MikeD - that's a nice gun - and interesting how they marked the calibers back then - mine's marked "30 US".

+1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Salvo.. The Williams rear sight came with it and I love it! I actually have Williams rear sights on two of my Marlin 336. Nice shot group on that target!

OJ... I keep forgetting you have that rifle!!! :mrgreen: Boy is it gorgeous!!!

I really would like to try some cast bullets in her. Just need to find some time and make up some test loads and go shooting!

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That is a handsome 95, OJ!
I think I'll start looking for a Williams sight.
Last edited by salvo on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

OJ... I keep forgetting you have that rifle!!! Boy is it gorgeous!!!
Thanks, it's number one in my collection - JMB created a lot of good guns but, I think the 95 is in a class by itself. The B&C record elk rack for many years - taken west of Crested Butte - was taken with an old "slabsides" Winchester 95 in 30-40 Krag.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

One thing I don't get is the price variations on the Browning 95's. I know there were different calibers and such but just the other day I was at Cabalas they had one just like mine they say new in box but there were light handling marks and going for $1500! :shock: What gives???

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here s mine a reissue 95 src

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've always wanted a 303 95. They come up for sale occasionally. Cost a kidney I think!

Fine looking rifles on thiis thread. The one with the deer, is that an original styled stock?
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Yes it is.Winchester made a copy of their 95 saddle ring carbine a few years back in 30/06 like mine and in 30/40 krag
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Mainehunter; very nice rifle and good shooting
Salvo; amazing group
OJ; beautiful rifle. I hope that my shooting is as good as yours if I should reach your age :wink: