If you were buying a new Lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

If you were buying a new Lever gun

Post by Meeteetse »

I have decided that I need a new lever gun, probably an 1873 or 1892 type. This rifle is just for fun, so I'm thinking about a caliber I don't have in a rifle, 45 Colt. What can anyone tell me about the Cimmeron, Uberti and other Italian imports? I have looked at the Rossi types and they are OK, in fact my son owns one, but I have seen a couple of Cimmeron 1892's, that were really nice looking with good wood and nice color-case. Going by looks only, they look good but I have no experience with them.

I would like to hear what all of you have to say about fit, function and warranty on the Italian imports or any others for that matter. . . . .thanks
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: If you were buying a new Lever gun

Post by Shasta »

I have two Uberti-made rifles, one a Cimarron Model 1873 in .32-20 and the other a Taylor's 1876 in .45-60. Both guns exhibit excellent fit and finish, and both guns came with an extremely heavy trigger pull. My trigger pull gauge tops out at twelve pounds and would not trip the trigger on either gun! Most of the new production import rifles are this way, so plan on having a trigger job done. Other than that, they are great rifles and shoot very accurately.

If you want a 92, I'd suggest one of the limited edition take-down versions recently made in Japan by Miroku for I believe it was U.S. Repeating Arms Company. They have the tang safety, but the quality of these rifles is simply outstanding. Last I saw they were being closed out for around $1,000 by CDNN.

Older versions of Miroku made 92's can sometimes be found on Gunbroker.com used in the $700-$850 range. I have had the Rossi, and it is a good little rifle for the money, but no where near the quality of a Miroku.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

If it was me I would contact Nate "Kiowa" Jones at Steves Gunz.com. He will have all the information you need plus probably some in stock. He does some excellent tune ups and other work on them as well. He did a .357 for me which is a really nicely turned out short carbine. He usually shows up from time to time on this board and has an advertisement on the entrance page. Just my idea. Good Luck.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

I have a Uberti '73 from Cabela's and a Chiappa '92 from Taylor's (both in 44/40); the Chiappa is the same rifle sold by Cimarron. Both are very nice rifles, but I've had the Uberti for fourteen years now, while the '92 is a recent addition to my safe. Either one is bound to be enjoyable, but from the perspective of pure fun, for me the '73 is really hard to beat; just something about the history behind it and shooting an obsolete design. Ubertis are extremely well fitted and finished, and are downright elegant to look at and handle. Mine has had thousands of rounds through it, and to date has never so much as hiccuped. It's also a tackdriver.

The Chiappa is also very well finished and very pretty to look at, and the action is slick as butter on mine. It's also lighter and handier than the '73, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd still go with the '73 just because of the charm of the thing. That '92 is an awfully sweet little rifle though.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Saw a winchester and a rossi the other day ,the winchester had a tang safety while the rossi had one on the bolt.For the jump in price the winchester left me cold,the wood was fairly plain,the metal wasn't any better then the rossi and that safety is just not right to me.Just my.02.With the rossi you can replace the safety with a peep sight.Not much you could do to that tang safety without sinking more into it.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

There are TWO '73s made, one is Chapparal (sp?), best avoided, and the rest, Cimarron, Beretta, Taylor's, etc are ALL Uberti's imported by others (well, Beretta owns Uberti, so theirs is a "house" brand of Uberti). They could use some spring changes and a bit of slicking as provided, but are good guns.

In a '92, I'd buy a gun "slicked" byu Nate as mentioned. He's about the best 92 guru in existance.

For a slick, old timey gun, ya can't beat a '73. A '92 is a lighter, smaller, stronger, but more finicky, and often, less satisfying gun to use. When "right" however, they will handle any load there is, even Paco's "insane" loads (sorry Paco, but it's true, yers are up there where mortals fear to tread) where a '73 is best left to SAAMI-level loads, as a toggle link design while fine for standard pressurss, (you can't wear one out) is not gonna take the heavy stuff without serious problems pronto.....
Certified gun nut
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, regarding Model 92's - every buyer should decide for themselves whether or not paying 2X the cost of a Rossi for the bling of an Italian clone is worth it to them, for the guns are mechanical clones.

The fit/finish of a .45 Colt Winchester/Miroku Model 92 is better than either, but sans bling like CCH, etc.

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Pete44ru wrote:IMO, regarding Model 92's - every buyer should decide for themselves whether or not paying 2X the cost of a Rossi for the bling of an Italian clone is worth it to them, for the guns are mechanical clones.

The fit/finish of a .45 Colt Winchester/Miroku Model 92 is better than either, but sans bling like CCH, etc.

I am well aware of the price differences and I agree that the Winchester "may" be better than either a Rossi or an Italian clone, but in my neck-of-the-woods the Winchesters are the same price or higher than the Italians. That may bring the Rossi's to the top of the list except that I have a Rossi Trapper and and a Browning/Miroku 92 in .357, therefore my interest in other manufacturers. I would really like to hear opinions on performance, fit and finish and even warranties if anyone has that kind of information. I may end up with Rossi, but price is not my first consideration, but one of many. I would buy American if there were such a thing in a true 92 or 73 and the gun wasn't 100+ years old. Thanks for your comments.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've got a Marlin 1894 and a Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt. Those two cover any heavy ammo I might want to use.

Were I to purchase a lever gun for fun and lighter hunting I'd pick the Uberti in either the 73 or iron frame Henry. I've seen enough of them to know the quality is there. They are closer to the original design than the Rossi's or the Miroku made versions since they do not have the lawyer inspired safeties. To some the safeties don't matter, but to me they do.
They also reek of class and panache, the others don't.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've got an Cimarron Uberti '73 in 38-40. I know it's not a 45 Colt, but the one I have is a beautiful rifle. I've only shot 50 rounds out of it, so not many, but it shows great accuracy potential. I love it. Fairly heavy, but really cool. Can't comment on the 92's.
Old Law Dawg
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My vote(s):
- On a budget: Rossi in the form of a pre safety (-2006) EMF 1892 saddle ring carbine. Added bonus, these also came with better sights than the same period (and safetied) Legacy (LSI) 92s. Earlier pre safety Rossi (Interarms) would be (and has been) my back-up choice, just not as good sights--and in some years--lesser wood/finish.
- Money (at least some additional) to spend: Cimarron (Chiappa) 1892. Any reservations, have Steve Young (NKJ) go through it. He may even add back in some Rossi bits! Otherwise, the Chiappas are bit closer to the original--wood, sights, receiver lines. My choice if I had the jingle.

I'll +1 COSteve's comment about the lighter weight and greater strength of the 92s/1892s, and ability to chamber .44Mag (and IMO more safely chambers .357) -vs the'73s.

- Non-magnum shooter AND spends more time being "admired" than carried/shot; Uberti (Cimarron, Taylors) '73
Summary: If function is the main criteria--Rossi 92. If beauty, fit and finish (of cosmetics at least) predominates, but with function still being critical : Chiappa 1892.

EDIT: Old Savage just reminded me of the NEW criteria of the OP's. Choices remain the same; only change to the above would instead be a new Rossi and rid the #?!*! safety.
Last edited by gak on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt because a gal bought a very nice 357 out from under me when I dallied and the 45 was the next really nice one to come along. If functions as well as the Two B92s I have and is better than one of them in that regard just plainer. If I was to get something new which is the title it would be a 9422M if I could fine one or a 92 type 357. I like the one Ironsights had done by Steve.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

For something a little different take a look at the Uberti Burgess:
They make rifle and SRC versions in 45Colt.
Fit and finish on mine are great
The action was silky smooth out of the box and trigger pull about 4lb.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

That Burgess is a beautiful rifle!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

of your two choices I would lean to the 73 as something different. BUT, that is because I already have had a .357 Rossi 92 slicked by NKJ and he is in the process of doing a .44mag trapper for me.

But if I were doing a new lever gun (and I am), I would (have) send (sent) a marlin 94 in .44 to Wild West Guns, and have it converted to one of their co-pilot takedowns in 16.5 inch barrel length. Ghost ring sight rear, scope rail installed in a low mount on barrel, high vis sights on front. Kevlar stocks at my LOP, action job, steel follower, parkerized, bear tooth extractor, mid size loop, straight grips, with a QD mount for a tactical reddot sight and the WWG flashlight mount with High intesisty surefire light. Cheeck pad from blackhawk, recoil reducer in stock, ported, chamber and action worked to cycle 300+ grain Garrett ammo and sling swivels with sling. But that is just me.

I had a Cimmaron 1876 in 45-75 which I used to take a few game animals. Very nice fit and function
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If cost is not a major concern get a Turnbull 92. Fit and finish outstanding, they shoot well too.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0007-2.jpg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like my spegetti guns....all of them...
1st class product...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

model55 wrote:With the rossi you can replace the safety with a peep sight. Not much you could do to that tang safety without sinking more into it.
The little 'bump' on the tang will still be there, but a couple of fixes come to mind...
ImageImage
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I like my spegetti guns....all of them...
1st class product...
Yep. They're the perfect ones for when you watch a spaghetti western...! 8) 8)
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I was at Ahlmans in central MN yesterday and looked at the Uberti 1873. Really nice looking gun, very smooth action. Excellent wood. Very usable sights.
I think one of the '73 clones in .44 special will be my next levergun. The big sellers for me is they're one of the few leverguns made specifically for the .44 special, not the magnum.

The Rossis do have better (modern) sights, flat top, square notched rear, and plain flat top post front. Easy on older eyes.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I'll go out on a limb here..............Forget about the .45 Colt..............Get a Uberti 73 SRC or Short Rife in .357mag and don't look back. You said "Fun" and in a rifle the .357 is the winner.
I gave My model 92 short rifle .357 to My Son in Law and it was Love at first shot. a Levergunner was BORN. :D .
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

OK, so now you guys have really confused me with all sorts of good suggestions. Considering I have a Browning B92 in .357, a Rossi trapper in .357, three Winchester 94's in 30WCF, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44mag and a couple of lever .22's, you can understand my interest in a caliber (.45 Colt) that never was in a rifle in the late 1800's.

I know, I know, it would have helped if I had added the above information in my original post, but I didn't. Based on what I am seeing here I "may" be leaning toward a 1873, you know Jimmy Stewart in Winchester 73 and all that stuff, but I want the gun to be handy, not heavy, so I think I will look at the 19" carbine type with a round barrel. My Marlin has the 24" octagonal barrel and it is heavy. Don't want to duplicate that.

I really appreciate all the comments and personal experiences and you are all correct, the Rossi guns are a great deal for the money and hard to overlook. More research is obviously needed. All your points are well stated and COSteve, I agree, the 73 is a beauty.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Meeteetse wrote:I really appreciate all the comments and personal experiences and you are all correct, the Rossi guns are a great deal for the money and hard to overlook.
For the savings with a Rossi, you could:
  • a. get a fancy custom-made stock,
    b. get Steve/NKJ to slick-it-up for you, AND
    c. probably buy about 300 rounds of factory ammo, plus
    d. enough components to reload it all several times...!
THAT certainly enhances the 'fun factor' a bit... 8)

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Quote:
"I think one of the '73 clones in .44 special will be my next levergun. The big sellers for me is they're one of the few leverguns made specifically for the .44 special, not the magnum."

A friend has this exact configuration (Cimarron '73/44 Sp)--in a SRC. His has the antique "original" finish...first rate piece, worthy of my envy for quite some time. I'll take one ineach finish!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Just to wet your whistle a little more.

Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Buy one of each! :D

Others covered it, but for me, the 1873 has the edge on beauty, and the 1892 the edge on strength. I have an Uberti 1873 in .45 Colt, and love it. I also have a Puma '92 that has a NJK action job, also in .45 Colt, and it is the smothest leveraction I have ever felt. :D
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

kimwcook wrote:Just to wet your whistle a little more.

THAT'S NOT FAIR. . . . . . . :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

AJMD429 wrote:
Meeteetse wrote:I really appreciate all the comments and personal experiences and you are all correct, the Rossi guns are a great deal for the money and hard to overlook.
For the savings with a Rossi, you could:
  • a. get a fancy custom-made stock,
    b. get Steve/NKJ to slick-it-up for you, AND
    c. probably buy about 300 rounds of factory ammo, plus
    d. enough components to reload it all several times...!
THAT certainly enhances the 'fun factor' a bit... 8)
I AGREE, THAT IS WHAT MAKES MY DECISION SO DIFFICULT