OT: Stupid Movers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Stupid Movers

Post by JReed »

Well The movers lost a box. Went threw everyone in the house and it isn't here. The inventory says reloading dies and equipment. :evil: Just went over my personal inventory and it will cost $2,058.50 to replace everything in that box. You don't realize how expensive this stuff is until you are trying to replace it all at once. Right now total damages for this move is $4,499.50 that will be a nice check after we submit the claim. :twisted:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Stupid Movers

Post by eric65 »

Gotta love TMO, I see some things never change.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The movers "lost" the box, or it was stolen and they are just covering their behinds?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I think I know what happened to it. Regardless of that the fact remains that it isn't here and they are gonna buy me new stuff.

Oh yes Eric I just love TMO. :twisted:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We used to say "3 moves as good as a fire." Why? Because at the end of 3 moves you would have had to replace darn near everything. I have seen one of those cast iron irons broken and not at the handle. The contractors are good at tearing up stuff. YET, my ex-wife, unbeknownst to me, shipped glass containers home from Korea in household goods and they arrived unbroken while the washer (which I just couldn't sell in time to move) had a nice big dent.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I hope you don't have any trouble getting compensated for your losses. Do they cut you ant slack because it was done via a Gov't contract? It would be nice to think it works out that way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rusty
Yes and no. If they think it can be fixed the will pay you the repair costs. If it has to be replaced they will try and find the lowest replacement cost. That is why I usually tell them I had the more expensive model.

Hobie
Aint that about the truth. We usually end up replacing a few pieces of furniture every move. But this is the first time they have lost my gun stuff.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My Dad 24 yrs USAF; one time the movers crammed our bicycles into the chest freezer. Hard on the bikes and really hard on the porcelain finish inside the freezer. Had to let them pack everything otherwise the box was marked "packed by owner" and wasn't paid for if damaged.

I don't recall them ever losing anything but they always broke something.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

We lost several family heirlooms during a move. One of which was a pocket watch given to my grandfather. It wasn't working so I took it to a watch repairman who made a new gear for it, got it working, and polished it up like new. I put it in a glass case and presented it to my father for fathers day right before the move..... :-(
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Darn it - hate to hear that! Glad you'll be able to submit a claim, but hope none of it had any personal or family attachments.

When we moved the last time the movers under-estimated what they needed, size wise, to move us. Tried to bill us $500 more than we agreed. I had them over several times before the move, and told them that the truck wouldn't be enough. Needless to say, I didn't pay more.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

No nothing of sentimental value just stuff. But my cordless drill they lost sure would have come in handy the past couple weeks putting the house together.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I spent 9 years with a moving company. I ended up in management, but did my fair share of time on the ground. It depends on the company you used. If it's a local company like the one I worked for, they are usually pretty good about compensation because they have a reputation to maintain. If it's a chain company, well, good luck. It's hit or miss with them. I think they are only obligated to pay you .60 cents per pound for damaged or lost items unless you purchased additional insurance. I hope everything works out for you. If you have any questions about what you need to do or what the moving company should do, feel free to shoot me a p.m. and I will do my best to help you out. Good luck!!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:roll: "They" stole all my tools, and I had one of everything SAE and Metric, on my PCS to Panama, and they stripped the radio and seat covers out of my truck. I don't know what they do now, I could claim no where NEAR the value of my lost tools with the Transpo folks....I got maybe 400 bucks on over 3500 bucks worth. :evil: (That was 1989)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Have never used a mover, always did everything myself and now I have my own dolly.

With my west coast move I checked every option, including U-haul, and it would have been cheaper to ditch the stuff and start over. What I did, and it was cheaper, was have everything shipped Fedex Ground or UPS. Nothing lost and very little broken. And special stuff like musical instruments went in the car with me. Of course you need some cooperation at the other end.

My next move will have to come after a big fire sale, I'm going to have to downsize. One thing that's taking up some space are all the computers I have upgraded and not discarded, aside from being perfectly functional they are worth less than zero.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I feel your pain. Some of those moving
contractors are real crooks.

I had a VERY nice bicycle stolen on my move from
DC to Okinawa. My dad lost a footlocker full of
pictures and cameras when he returned form Europe
after the Berlin airlift. Irreplacable stuff.

Good thing you have an inventory.

-Stretch
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

shooter wrote:I spent 9 years with a moving company. I ended up in management, but did my fair share of time on the ground. It depends on the company you used. If it's a local company like the one I worked for, they are usually pretty good about compensation because they have a reputation to maintain. If it's a chain company, well, good luck. It's hit or miss with them. I think they are only obligated to pay you .60 cents per pound for damaged or lost items unless you purchased additional insurance. I hope everything works out for you. If you have any questions about what you need to do or what the moving company should do, feel free to shoot me a p.m. and I will do my best to help you out. Good luck!!
Good to know if I have any questions I will hit you up. Good thing is this was a government contracted move so the claims process is usually painless but lengthy.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I hate to hear these stories, when my son in law gets back from his deployment they have to move all their stuff to Texas. I've been thinking about renting a truck anyway and doing it ourselves.

We did have a locally based mover in our town who became notorious for non-delivered and/or missing property; I had no idea it was that common.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

My experience is not as bad as some. I've moved 3 times using government contracted movers and I've never had any problems. I haven't missed anything and I don't remember any breakage. Just my experience.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JReed wrote: now total damages for this move is $4,499.50 that will be a nice check after we submit the claim. :twisted:
Hope you will use that to buy new reloading gear instead of wasting it frivolously on food, clothing, shelter, etc. :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jnyork wrote:
JReed wrote: now total damages for this move is $4,499.50 that will be a nice check after we submit the claim. :twisted:
Hope you will use that to buy new reloading gear instead of wasting it frivolously on food, clothing, shelter, etc. :D
Actualy I was gonna get a new tree stand and reloading gear.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis