OT but fun, whackin' piggies from a helicopter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

OT but fun, whackin' piggies from a helicopter

Post by wecsoger »

No, seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfCTWy1 ... r_embedded

No levers, but a semi auto shotgun and I suspect 00 buck or something similar. Interesting to see the small pattern downrange. But a good hit puts them right down.

I'm not a big hunter but I'll give no grief to anyone removing a threat like this.

Read down the page for the comments. Some people have no clue.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT but fun, whackin' piggies from a helicopter

Post by crs »

Looks like the shooter improves rapidly as the shoot goes on. Good show!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If you think about it, you've got a moving target and you're shooting from a moving platform. Pretty tricky figuring out correct lead.

Add to that any inner ear issues since "level flight' in a small helicopter like that occurs at very random intervals.

I'd be interested in knowing choke on that shotgun, if any. Looks like it was set up for "tactical" use, or something like a three gun match. Usually they're cylinder bore but it looks like he was getting real tight patterns.

And again, I'm guessing double ought buck. Video is a good example of its use against thin skinned targets. Piggies aren't as big as humans, but......

Never saw enough of the shottie to see if he had a red dot or scope on it.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

sorry guys i just couldnt do that, I hate flying, keep me on the
ground & id have a blast, id say 4 buck & inside 30 yds
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Think he has it down just needs a few more shotguns and someone to keep them loaded for him.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You know I don't mean to be cold blooded and cruel, but that looks like fun.
By the looks of the patterns I've seen so far I'll bet he's running a full choke in that shotgun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That isn't for me !

I saw another one where the guy was using what appearred to be a fully auto something or other .

Lord knows I've killed my fair share and then some of deer and I don't overly hold piggies in high regard . But something about shooting them from a helicopter just doesn't quite sit right with me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

J Miller wrote:
By the looks of the patterns I've seen so far I'll bet he's running a full choke in that shotgun.
With buchshot a full choke is not as one would think !

Full choke actually hinders buckshot patterns and generally improved cylinder and skeet will throw a far better and tighter pattern .

Full choke with buck tends to exploit the donut pattern .
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Thanks for the explanation on the chokes. I guess you can I'm not much of a shot gunner.

As for it not being sporting, well .... it isn't. It's vermin eradication of a very hard to approach animal. Considering the damage they do, it's a necessity.

The strange thing is the Rolling Stones music brings to mind Viet Nam footage I've seen with that music. Weird.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

J Miller wrote:As for it not being sporting, well .... it isn't. It's vermin eradication of a very hard to approach animal. Considering the damage they do, it's a necessity.
Look I understand about them over running the place etc etc !
And sure it's okay for folks to erradicate them that way !

I personally however do not care to be one of them . As something about it just doesn't seem right in my mind !
Dirty Bob
Levergunner

Post by Dirty Bob »

Here in TX, a lot of ranchers and farmers are facing major damage by large numbers of feral, non-native pigs. It may not seem "sporting" to take them from a helo, but their numbers are huge, and people are getting desperate.

My only real regret is that it's almost impossible to do anything with the meat, most or all of which will end up rotting in the 100 deg. weather.

All my best,
Dirty Bob
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My only regret is that it ain't ME up there shootin'!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Dirty Bob wrote:Here in TX, a lot of ranchers and farmers are facing major damage by large numbers of feral, non-native pigs. It may not seem "sporting" to take them from a helo, but their numbers are huge, and people are getting desperate.

My only real regret is that it's almost impossible to do anything with the meat, most or all of which will end up rotting in the 100 deg. weather.

All my best,
Dirty Bob
Such an awesome possible resource with the right management too ---- alas America in general is hooked on overly processed "quick n easy" food sources -- plus the FDA would probably be a major PIA to anyone who wanted to do anything too meaningful with a lot of pig meat
----- Doug
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, FDA would go nuts.

I bet if you run the numbers, compare the amount of damage these feral hogs do to the crops saved by culling them, there's no contest. And I hate putting down animals (almost cried when I had to down a magnificent buck someone poached out of season) but I'd take on this cull duty in a heartbeat.

Right now I'm in southwest Ohio. Feral pigs are in western Ky. Once they get over into the central part of the state and then hit the Daniel Boone national forest, their numbers will explode. Zero predators, open areas, plenty of food.

From there it's a river jump into south Ohio with the southern part of the state with similar terrain. Once they get there there are tens of thousands of acres of soybeans and corn at risk.

I'm guessing from five to ten years.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Judging by the vent rib on the barrel I'd say that it has a screw-in choke. Looked like a semi-auto with a magazine extension. Most certainly seemed effective. I've seen photos and videos of people killing hogs using themal scopes. Have they ever thought of combining the heliopter tactics with the thermal scopes?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I bet one could flat wear a Benelli out doing that. Those things are all over Florida. If they could climb orange trees we'd been in deep trouble.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I can't to stalk from helicopters. It's not sporting to me, but asset protection for the ranchers/farmers won't get any argument from me. Couldn't help but notice some of the comments about 00 and #4 Buck. Just yesterday, I was playing around wit .454 round balls sized to .432 and launched from my T-4. What a show that was-- plywood and water bottles spread to heck and gone!!! :lol:

I bet they'd do a number on them piggies on the ground or from the air.

rimrock