Winchester 30/30. . . need help finding the correct vintage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 30/30. . . need help finding the correct vintage

Post by Meeteetse »

Some time ago my father had his 30/30 stolen. It was a gift from Mom after he returned from WWII and was of the 1945-1948 vintage. Recently Mom asked if there was any way to find a similar gun to give him for his birthday. Mom and Dad are both turning 90 this year and she thought it would be nice to replace the old 30/30, but she doesn't want a new gun. I have three Winchesters but one is a 1904 version and the other two are from the early 60's and are still pretty new looking. I will give him one of the two pre 64 guns if I can't find a good gun from the late 1940's era. There is nothing special about that vintage of gun except I would like it to be as similar to his old gun as I can find.

Can someone give me a range of serial numbers to look for? I know what his looked like and it certainly wasn't new looking, just a nicely worn gun that had seen many years of honest hard work in the field, but the bore was shiny and the bluing was probably about 90%+. Once I have a serial number range I can see what is out there. It would be nice to give him a 30/30 again even though I know he will never hunt with it and may never shoot it, but I think it would mean a lot to him to own one again. Thanks for your help.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 30/30. . . need help finding the correct vintage

Post by J Miller »

Meeteetse,

I don't know where to find a serial number list for that time period. Winchester didn't keep really good records during the war.
The easiest way I can think of to get a rifle in that time period is to look for a flat band. That is to say the front barrel band is flat on the sides, not contoured like they are normally. Those were made around the end of the war and on for a few years.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Also, you want to be sure the original "long wood" forend hasn't been replaced with the later "short wood" style which Winchester put on beginning in the early '50s. The short wood style would be what your pre-64s wear.

Great birthday present! You shouldn't have any trouble finding a pretty nice one to give to your dad.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I just had a look on the Winchester resources link on the forum.

You can search dates of manufacture there.

Serial # 1250000 came up as 1943 - 1948 (Tough years and poor records were kept I suppose)
#1500000 - 1948
#1600000 - 1949
#1700000 - 1950

I guess if you looked for a number between 1 250 000 and 1 700 000 you would be pretty close to the money.

Good luck on such a noble quest.

Pop.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Pop Watts wrote:
Good luck on such a noble quest.
+1 :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Thanks for the information. Since I posted I have been trying to remember the approx serial number of Dad's gun. I was lucky enough to use it a few times in the early years and before I thought I needed a scoped .350+ caliber bolt gun. Funny how we often come full circle. The best I can remember is the number is in the 1,300,000 to 1,500,000 range but I am sort of guessing.

Thanks for your help. Keep the information coming if you think of anything else that might be helpful or useful. By the way, what do you guys think is a good price range for a gun of that vintage? Thanks again.. . .Dave

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Meeteetse wrote: what do you guys think is a good price range for a gun of that vintage? Thanks again.. . .Dave
well, here's one now,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =238715803
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Not a bad carbine in the gunbroker ad. I would suggest the stain on the receiver is normal handling wear from carry, and perhaps a sweaty hand carrying it rather than the scabbard story.

Best of luck in your search. It's a nice gesture. One of your carbines may be as well, with the addition of a long wood fore end. Little difference otherwise besides the number and drilled for receiver sight. I've put long wood fore ends on a couple short wood guns, just like the looks of them better.

Your dad may enjoy shooting it with some medium powered loads, about in the 32-20 power range. I loaded some up for my dad for his 64. 120 gr cast bullet @ about 1200 fps. All he does with it is plink at 100 yards or less.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Meeteese, just PM'd you
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

3 hours left on that one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

PM sent!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Meeteetse,

Here is the data you need. The serial number is the last for the year.
1940 1259563
1941 1313301
1942 1343183
1943 None
1944 1343196
1945 1352066
1946 1411000
1947 1470000
1948 1560000
1949 1660000

From SN 1375557 to SN 1547130 Thr front barrel band was flat sided instead of rounded.
Basically the 1946 through 1948 time period. That might narrow it down further for you.

Good luck shopping
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Thanks everyone for the information. I am leaving for Wyoming tomorrow. My Brother and Mother have found a couple of 94's they want me to look at. Armed with the information you have provided will aid me in making a decision and to know if the guns they found (from friends) are correct. Hope one of them is. If not I will continue my search when I return in a week of two. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.
Dave