OT-What I have learned on the internet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

OT-What I have learned on the internet

Post by Barcelona Rick »

No reference to the fine folks here, but since I retired (medically) in 2008 I have learned the following online :

My 1979 F150 inline 6 and three on the tree will not pull a heavy load....
The 4X scope on my '06 is not enough power to hunt deer....
My 3rd generation SAA (early 80's) is the worst Colt ever made....
My Smith pre-Model 10 is not enough for home defense....
Fish always taste better if they are caught from a boat not from the bank, creek or stock tank....

Well somehow I have survived 57 years making bad decisions.... :idea: :lol:

rick
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-What I have learned on the internet

Post by wecsoger »

There's a story, don't know if it's true but it should be about a famous science fiction author, Theodore Sturgeon.

At a sci-fi convention a disgruntled fan approached him and said, "Ninety percent of science fiction is Cr@p!"

Ted looked at him and said, "Ninety percent of *everything* is cr@p."

Once I heard that I kind of look at life that way and don't let it bother me too much.
Last edited by wecsoger on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I understand just what you mean.

On the other hand, after casting bullets for more than 40 years I found the CastBoolits forum. In the five year since I have learned more workable truths and unlearned unworkable stuff than in the 40 previous years.

I've also learned plenty here that I didn't know before.

You just have to pay attention and then try what sounds like it might work. If it works, you're good to go.

Cat
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

New and Improved, Bigger is always better. That's what makes the world go round :P
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

+1 on the 300 inline six. great engine. I learned you have to have at least a 1000cc bike to travel out of state. My poor Rebel has 36,000 on it and s'pose i should trade up. NOT
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm 57 also and have learned one thing about people----internet, family or otherwise-----------most of 'em are retarts with an IQ the same as my shoesize.

Individuals who down certain items are most always people who have NO experience with the item in question or don't have the money to buy the s*#t.---i.e.--------"I don't like Ferraris because they don't have any leg room" or "My Taurus shoots better than an Colt SAA because I outshot my retart friend who is rich, drunk, and shoots 1 box of ammo a year". or "my wife's sister told me so"

The in-line 6 from Ford is a workhorse---I've used 'em.

I've shot lots of things and never saw a need for anything more than 4X---unless your shooting bumble bees at 500 meters

The Colt SAA is the nicest single action ever made--"nicest, not necessarily the strongest or most accurate"

The Model 10 'Smith?-----nobody wants to get shot, even with a .22

Don't know nothin' 'bout fishin' :D -=--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yeah, folks have these really neat things, they read how much better something else is, and they get the desire to get rid of the good stuff cheap. And sometimes -- there we are!

Ain't it great? :lol:
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Pre-1987 300-I6 engines were almost un-killable. Then they went and fuel injected em, and they did make enough horsepower to hurt themselves. But, before that, you couldn't get enough RPMs out of that 1BBL carb'ed engine to hurt it, but they would PULL like crazy. Many a single screw dump truck had em.....

Some 3rd gen SAAs were great, others suffered from throats waaaaay too big for the bores.

My list includes"

Ya need at least a 7MM mag to hunt big deer with. (Huh, the .357 mag Marlin lever won't kill em? Don't tell my kids, they grew up on venison taken with one.)

Ya can't cast HB or HP bullets with a machine. (You can now).
The corrollary is "that mold is gonna be impossible to get good bullets from" My answer: "Just cut the cavities like I told ya to."
Certified gun nut
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Another strait 6 owner and endorser here. Owned many but I don't hold just to my Ford F150. I've also owned and can attest to the GM 6 cylinders and Chrysler's slant 6 225. All good motors. I've owned more trucks with strait 6 than with all others combined. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Gobblerforge wrote:Chrysler's slant 6 225.
Had a '72 Valiant with the Slant 6 225. Short of Thermite or C4, you couldn't kill that engine. And believe me, I tried... :lol:

Mom and Dad handed it down to me in '88 when they got a new minivan. Absolutely the most un-cool car a high school kid could have. Dad told me that when that engine died we'd drop a 318 in it. The oil was self changing (I had to add a quart every 3-4 weeks), I ran it 15-20 miles at 70mph after the water pump went out (to be fair, I had no idea it had gone out), and spun a crank bearing later on.

When the water pump went out, no damage was done. Didn't even burn the plugs. When the bearing spun, I drove it another 10-15 miles to get as close to my apt as I could before calling The Old Man. Bought a new short block thinking I'd busted a rod. When we tore it down we found the remains of the bearing but everything else was fine.

They always say cockroaches will be the only thing to survive a nuclear war. I'd like to add the Slant 6 225 to the list.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

awp101 wrote:
Gobblerforge wrote:Chrysler's slant 6 225.
Had a '72 Valiant with the Slant 6 225. Short of Thermite or C4, you couldn't kill that engine. And believe me, I tried... :lol:

Mom and Dad handed it down to me in '88 when they got a new minivan. Absolutely the most un-cool car a high school kid could have. Dad told me that when that engine died we'd drop a 318 in it. The oil was self changing (I had to add a quart every 3-4 weeks), I ran it 15-20 miles at 70mph after the water pump went out (to be fair, I had no idea it had gone out), and spun a crank bearing later on.

When the water pump went out, no damage was done. Didn't even burn the plugs. When the bearing spun, I drove it another 10-15 miles to get as close to my apt as I could before calling The Old Man. Bought a new short block thinking I'd busted a rod. When we tore it down we found the remains of the bearing but everything else was fine.

They always say cockroaches will be the only thing to survive a nuclear war. I'd like to add the Slant 6 225 to the list.... :lol:
LOL. A good friend had one when we were kids. it slapped like crazy, piston slap and cam noise, and after idling a minute would fog the neighborhood with oil. The CAR finally folded from rust, but the old slant six still ran.....

But it isn't in the same league as the 300-I6, which really and truely was an industrial-quality truck engine. In the mid 1980s, when you ordered a truck, the 302 V8 was only available in 150 and light duty 250s. The 300 was available in heavy durty 250s and even 350s, and though it was no ball of fire on top end, would PULL anything ya dared hook to the truck without breaking the springs. My dad at one time had a late 70s E-350 van with a 300 six and a slobber-matic, and that old beast pulled a bulldozer trailer with FIVE TONS of concrete blocks on it more than once, even with 200K+ miles on it.
Certified gun nut
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Add to the list that WD-40 will rot wooden gunstocks, immediately create an impossible-to-remove "varnish" on any gun it's applied to, and cause metal embrittlement with the eventual result that any gun it's used on will shatter in your hand when fired.

Plenty of folks have adamantly preached such stuff, but not a soul has ever SHOWN me a gun damaged by it. Meanwhile, my 1916-vintage Model 12 Winchester, which has been treated with naught but WD for the 45 years I've owned it, continues to look great and work splendidly.