OT - Gunsite and Thunder Ranch?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - Gunsite and Thunder Ranch?

Post by RSY »

I'm starting to save my nickels and dimes and compose my letter to Santa for a trip to one of these places.

I would love to hear from any levergunners that have been to either place for the basic pistol course. Better, yet, would be to hear from someone who has been to both places!

Gracias, in advance, amigos.

scott
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'm think along the same lines, and want to take my daughter and her boyfriend along. I was considering the schools run by Mas Ayoob and Chuck Taylor.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

Been to "orange" Gunsite, five times for different reasons. Have no hands on comments about "gray" Gunsite but if the opinion of one old pompous, deceased and opinionated man means anything (it means a great deal to me) I would go elsewhere these days.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Why save your nickles?

Join Gunowners of America (goa.org) as a Life member and get a pass to Frontsite

http://www.gunowners.org/subguns3.htm

Save $300 off a Frontsite course AND get a Life membership. WHat could be better?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Those are good options, too, if they're coming to your area. They all cost about the same.

scott
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I don't know where you're located, but there is a great training site here in West Virginia. It's called Storm Mountain Training Center. www.stormmountain.com is the address. Great bunch of guys, these people provided security personel to I.C.G. when the Sago tragedy happened. Rodney Ryan is pretty much over all of it and is a great guy.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I went to Gunsite in 1989 to change from the revolver to the auto pistol and just to mess around and visit my brother in San Diego. It was a great time and some great training.
While I was already fast from the leather and accurate and a lot of the other people were too, one guy in particular was not.
He worked in a warehouse in CA and did not carry a gun all the time. He had a softball tuned target style Govt Model, a holster and mag pouch that looked like they had been put together from a Tandy Leather kit, he had no draw and could not shoot.
At the end of the week he could stand with his back to 7 pepper poppers at 7 yards and when the timer beeped he could turn, draw, and gun them all down in about 5 seconds. Not bad for a week of shooting.
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

I went to TR a number of times when they were in TX. Excellent training.

Also trained with John Farnam (defense-training.com) and Louis Awerbuck (http://www.yfainc.com/). They are both traveling shows so check their schedules. I would recommend both.

After a class at any of these schools you will laugh a lot more at stuff you read on the internet.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Question from me who respects a lot of what Col. Cooper said

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Which is Orange and which is Gray?
rroberts
Levergunner

Post by rroberts »

I went to Thunder Ranch in 03, excellent staff and instruction. Clint Smith walks the shooting line giving one on one supervision also. Never been to Gunsite, but I don't think you would go wrong choosing either one.
... Rusty
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Went to Gunsite to take the 270 rifle course from Col. Cooper, it was the best money I ever spent. My personal belief is it will change the way you think about living your life with a gun.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

bluesman423 wrote:Been to "orange" Gunsite, five times for different reasons. Have no hands on comments about "gray" Gunsite but if the opinion of one old pompous, deceased and opinionated man means anything (it means a great deal to me) I would go elsewhere these days.
Any hard sources in print for the Colonel's displeasure? What exactly were his beef's with Gunsite after his departure?
GSRASHER
Levergunner

Post by GSRASHER »

In 1992 Gunsite was sold and Col Cooper was no longer associated with the organization. The color was changed from orange/black to silver/black.
This is when the reputation of this organization began to slide. In 1999, new owners took over and the Col became re-associated with the new Gunsite now actually Gunsite Academy. The Col lived on the site until his passing in 2006.

I took pistol 250 in Oct of '06 and then General Rifle 270 in August of '07. The instruction was uniformly excellent and professional. Anyone who wants to be a rifleman would be well-served by rifle 270. A week shooting at Gunsite is a life changing exerience.

Details on Gunsite history recorded here:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cooper.htm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've met Mas Ayoob when we were both speakers at a GOA/SAF conference, and I can tell you he cuts to the chase, and will likely give you a great class. He's Cooperesque in being a no-nonsense kind of guy. Read his "In the Gravest Extreme" and you'll know what I mean.
Down to earth and personable.

I think he travels to locations around the country for his classes. At the time, I think he said he came to Lafayette, IN on occasion...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I'm taking a class with Louis Awerbuck here at a local range in a couple of weeks. He comes highly recommended.

Hank
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GSRASHER, Welcome to the Forum!

Nope, I don't have any input. have often thought about taking the Gunsite course, but... $ always seemed designated for something else! :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've never been to either but after checking around here locally I have found a school pretty close by that I have thought of attending. Most of the money I would save would be for travel expenses and lodging.
Check your area and see if there is an IDPA club near you, as they might have someone close to get you started.
Someone asked about schools not long ago and they said to go to the school you had to have "X" handgun and "Y" backup gun. I don't think I'd personally want to do that. I carry a revolver, I shoot a revolver, and I live with a revolver. If I were going to a school I'd want to have someone teach me how to use the tools I already have, not someone point out all the short comings of my tools. I know Clint teaches revolver, I'm not sure about Thunder Ranch.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

Gunsite was very good when i was there. It'll teach you a lot. That was a while back.