How close is your gun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: How close is your gun.

Post by hightime »

I'm not living in fear of anybody, but I like my guns. I have some loaded. I think I'd like to imagine that I needed a gun to eat and defend. I do have a lot of backwoods where I'm separate from the world. I can shoot and eat game when ''I'' want. I carry there, but not in public, unless I'm in some place I'm not comforable. That's rare, maybe the big city.

Owen
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

jeepnik wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:You've heard the saying "A man's home is his castle". Well not here in the People's Republik of Hawai'i, there is no "Castle law" here. No CCWs are issued either. Not only that but the law requires that all firearms as well as ammo be kept under lock and key but get this- firearms, and ammo must be kept stored separately. I am a law abiding citizen. If some drug crazed diabetic paranoid schizophrenic breaks into my home with intent to kill my family I'm in trouble even if I do succeed in unlocking both ammo & gun in time to put down the monster. :roll:
I think I'll retire in Texas. :wink:
Okay, what the heck is wrong with being Diabetic?
Nothing wrong with being a diabetic in and of itself. I'm talking about an real person with a combination of the previously mentioned problems who refuses to take all prescription medications (Haldol , insulin, etc.) which usually keeps his mind relatively normal but he instead chooses to take illegal drugs (ice, rock, black tar). To compound his paranoid schizophrenia and drug abuse when his blood sugar goes haywire (he loves his extra-large 7-11 "Big Gulp" Pepsi) it amplifies his mental problems. He has threatened to kill everyone in my family, and his but because he is a relative (from wife's side of family) they beg me not to get a restraining order or have him arrested. Their excuse is "he's just going through hard times, and just needs patience and understanding". His "hard times" is going on 30 years now, he's been in prison at least 4 times one of which was for robbery & assault, he's already assaulted his aged parents numerous times but they refuse to file charges. Very frustrating situation.

Both my mother (rest in peace), my kid sister, and my favorite bro-in-law (my old hunting buddy) are all diabetic. I love them all very much. They have their diabetes under control.
Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizz wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I carry everywhere except a couple of defense type plants. They get a bit nervous about guns, go figure. Otherwise, while at home, I have a couple about the house so there's pretty much always one in easy reach. I don't have a "shower" gun though, I'm not that far gone. :mrgreen:
watch "Psycho", if that doesn't change your mind about the shower nothing will. Lots of criminal activists waits for someone to get into the shower, perfect cover.

I'm just saying..... I don't care to play roulette with the odds and probabilities. If I could predict exactly when the bg was gonna strike, I'd be wildly rich.

Best
Grizz

Amen, that was the modus operandi of a serial rapist several years back (attack in the shower). His last would-be victim I believe the gal talked the guy into taking her in the bedroom where she kept a handgun in her night stand. She was able to get the gun while idiot was distracted and shoot the bass-turd, and he is behind bars forever now. Obviously did not happen in Hawai'i or the gal would be behind bars, and the rapist (portrayed as the poor victim) would be living high from the settlement he received after suing her.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Generaly, we are one and the same, too old to run or fight, so I keep a pocket full of something. Feral dogs, cats or potentialy rabid racoons all demand attention. And as was mentioned above- "that guys got a bunch of guns......" Were also a mile down a farm road with limited number of ways out.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

It's getting dry and the snakes are getting desperate. 3 copperheads in 3 days. So, there's always something close at hand to train them about the imaginary line. The imaginary line is --- you scare me and you die if you're within eyesight of the house.

If I'm in woods, I'm on their turf and they get a reprieve.

rimrock
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Close by........ I have lived on the same quiet street in the country for more than 30 years. a half mile down the road a cottage nestled in tall pine trees blew up and burned this spring...a meth-lab. :o .last year the county laid off most of the Sherrifs here in the biggest county in the State. news reporters in Cleveland all cameout here to see what was going on.
When they interviewed a local Common Pleas Court Judge Mackey He told the reporters that the people need to arm themselves, be vigilant, and lookout for each other.the news channels all had a field day with that one.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Dave, what are you doing when you are not wearing pants? :shock:
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Was reading Paco's book last night and he dedicated many pages to the NAA Black Widow, in 22mag as "a backup pocket gun". As his testing indicated, "a 40 grain bullet moving 1000-1100fps is going to do a lot of damage to an individual, pest or varmint... two legged or four". "As a pocket gun, so I can be armed 24 hours a day ... as a back up gun to regular sidearm ... and as just a fun gun to own .. the Black Widow is hard to beat".

I have to agree completely. I have taken to carrying my NAA Ranger in 22 mag in my rear strong side pocket continually. Does not matter if I have my model 29 3" or my kimber .45 or my kahr pm9 on my side, the NAA .22mag is now my constant companion. So now the answer remains to the question "how close???" .... the thickness of my jeans, always.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, I too have gotten into the habit of putting my little .22 mag NAA mini into my pocket first thing in the morning. It's become a habit that one never thinks about, sorta like putting on my watch. Times when I can't have it on me, I will feel like something is "missing". That's a good thing in my book.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The NAA Mini in stainless and the .22 Mag caliber is a great little gun. It is amazing how easy it is to put one in a ziploc bag and clothes pin the bag to the inside of the shower curtain. You can even cock it and fire it while it is in the bag. I am not paranoid, I just understand that there are people who might choose to attempt to do harm to me, and I choose to prevent it by being aware and ready.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If some drug crazed diabetic
:lol: :lol: :lol: As a diabetic, I think maybe you don't understand the disease... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Many years ago I didn't keep any gun loaded in the house. It finally occured to me that I was missing-out on the most important reason for having guns and that is TO SAVE MY LIFE!

So...since that point in time I nearly always have one or more guns loaded in the house. At present I have a Glock 19 loaded on nightstand by bed and a shotgun and 22 rifle (both semi-auto) loaded close to the back door. These last two are mainly for 4 legged varmits that sometimes pay a visit close to house but could do for self-defense. When I think of a 22 semi-auto and how fast and accurate you can shoot it, it's more lethal than many might think.

Unless you are way, way out in the wilds anything can happen about anywhere in these times. Illegal drug problems all over the country and a bunch of it in supposedly safe rural areas. Crazy, terrible things happen everywhere so it just makes good sense to be prepared. Several years ago a young man was buried alive in a rural area not far from here. Drug related and a thing you'd never ever expect to happen here. When "druggies" need money they'll sometimes do anything to get it. Many of those people are armed.

By the way, I expect some of you aren't aware of the fact that if someone comes to your door and you open door with a gun in your hand they can sue you for "brandishing a gun" and scaring the daylights out of them. Even if they, initially, intended to do you harm. So in this case a gun close and ready, rather than in view, is the way to go. This applies in most states. Texas might be an exception, from what I hear.

Don
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Guess I better start get'n 'em closer and more ready, been think'n about this lately as our area has been hit by burglers pass'n through. Dogs went nuts just the other night and by the time I looked outside all I saw was a pair of taillights head'n out the driveway with the dogs chase'n them and Snuggles our pet/wild 'Coon stand'n on the front porch with his dukes up and a patch of someone's jeans in his mouth. Constable told me the description of the car was similar to the one that was spotted after one of my neighbor's house on the other side of the lake was broken into a week before.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

And yet they feel they have to do this,

The U.N. is conspiring to destroy your gun rights.

And Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are using the U.N. for their "under the radar" program for gun control in America.

The "Small Arms Treaty" now being negotiated at the U.N. is a TROJAN HORSE disguised as an effort to combat international gun trafficking.

In reality, it's a sinister ploy by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and foreign bureaucrats to thrust a dagger deep into the heart of our Bill of Rights!

A recent FORBES article confirms that if passed by the U.N. and ratified by the U.S. Senate, the treaty "would almost certainly force the U.S." to:

ENACT DRACONIAN GUN LICENSING, making it next to impossible for you to purchase and own a firearm.
CONFISCATE and DESTROY all "unauthorized" firearms as determined by foreign bureaucrats.
BAN THE TRADE, SALE AND PRIVATE OWNERSHIP of all semi-automatic firearms.
ESTABLISH AN INTERNATIONAL GUN REGISTRY, opening the door to "full-scale gun confiscation" in the U.S.
You can see the FORBES article for yourself by clicking here.

http://graphics.nra.org/wayne/Forbes_-Larry_Bell.pdf
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

95% of my waking hours... at least a SW 60 is on me or at arms reach. A 1911 is carried when clothing permits and that 60 backs it up.

A short shotgun (legally short) is where I'd fall back in defense at the house.

My job takes me into a lot of city halls and city shops.. and it's against the law to carry into those places... about the only time my CCW gun gets left bagged up.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mike D. wrote:There is a .45 auto in my truck and a handy .38 Super in the house. Lets not forget my loaded up '97 Winchester trench gun in the closet. I seldom carry publicly, although legal to do so. Sorry, but I don't feel the need. I am not in the least bit panicked over the bad guys picking on me, either.
Sounds familiar ---- i keep a .45 auto in the truck most of the time too ---- there is a decked out AR under the bed and a pump 870 in a closet, but i also very rarely "go heeled" in public.
Sadly enough, i have started slipping a .380 in my pocket whenever i go to our town's (Oklahoma City) stockyards (to eat at Cattleman's or go to the Rodeo Opry) --- a security guard (an actual off duty policeman as well) in that area was recently shot in a mugging and the area butts up to a very depressed part of town

Aside from that, i work out of my home and rarely venture places i would otherwise feel threatened. Although i do concede that you never know when trouble will find you. If anyone decides to go shoot up a lumber store or a feed store, i may be in trouble as those are the types of places i frequent regularly :?
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rimrock wrote:It's getting dry and the snakes are getting desperate. 3 copperheads in 3 days. So, there's always something close at hand to train them about the imaginary line. The imaginary line is --- you scare me and you die if you're within eyesight of the house.

If I'm in woods, I'm on their turf and they get a reprieve.

rimrock

:lol: n i have roughly the same attitude towards snakes. If they scare me pretty close to the house, that means they can also give my wife a heart attack :lol: Out in the woods, i would just assume leave 'em alone
Just killed a huge (6' ) non-poisonous snake last week that acted very aggresively. He had body coloring reminiscent of a copperhead, but didnt have the huge triangular head the big venomous snakes have. I used the Commander i keep in my truck to dispatch him.
----- Doug
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Streetstar wrote:
Mike D. wrote:There is a .45 auto in my truck and a handy .38 Super in the house. Lets not forget my loaded up '97 Winchester trench gun in the closet. I seldom carry publicly, although legal to do so. Sorry, but I don't feel the need. I am not in the least bit panicked over the bad guys picking on me, either.
Sounds familiar ---- i keep a .45 auto in the truck most of the time too ---- there is a decked out AR under the bed and a pump 870 in a closet, but i also very rarely "go heeled" in public.
Sadly enough, i have started slipping a .380 in my pocket whenever i go to our town's (Oklahoma City) stockyards (to eat at Cattleman's or go to the Rodeo Opry) --- a security guard (an actual off duty policeman as well) in that area was recently shot in a mugging and the area butts up to a very depressed part of town

Aside from that, i work out of my home and rarely venture places i would otherwise feel threatened. Although i do concede that you never know when trouble will find you. If anyone decides to go shoot up a lumber store or a feed store, i may be in trouble as those are the types of places i frequent regularly :?
How often you go to the Opry? We make it about once a month. Shoot me a PM next time... we can give each other the secret Levergunners nod!
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

If I'm not on a plane, I'm carrying!! :D :D

"Because I Can!!"
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

TMI - Too Much Information ........ A K A we don't need to know your WC (Water Closet) habits. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Pretty close.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

BlaineG wrote:
If some drug crazed diabetic
:lol: :lol: :lol: As a diabetic, I think maybe you don't understand the disease... :lol:
You obviously didn't read the whole thread. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:I'm just saying..... I don't care to play roulette with the odds and probabilities. If I could predict exactly when the bg was gonna strike, I'd be wildly rich.
I thought the bad guy only struck right after you heard the scary music start...??? :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Close!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

The .45 is in a small touch code actuated safe next to the bed and a 12ga is in the bedroom closet. Everything else is in the big safe in the garage.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

A Browning Hi-Power is in a holster attatched to the bed rail between my bed and night stand. My wife has a Ruger Crimson Trace Ruger LCR in her night stand(she loves the lazer), and a 12 ga. coach gun is in the bedroom closet. Everything else is in the safe. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!