I raise my glass for the last time

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

I raise my glass for the last time

Post by madman4570 »

Having worked on the Space Shuttle Program from almost it's beginning up till I retired (special early out retirement package :wink: a few years ago) I watch the last Shuttle light its final candle.
Most times were fantastic,while also several times were tragic.
So, here is to the last Shuttle voyage headed to the heavens! God's speed/prayer's up for all associated.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I raise my glass for the last time

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper, a era gone.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I surely hope it's being replaced with a new, bolder mission. It's too important not to. I wonder if people know now much everyday good we have gotten from discoveries from the Space Program, and the Military in general.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If they focus on 'strategic' or military stuff, it IS a very legitimate way to spend federal tax dollars (far more legitimate than Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Education, and all the other 'nice' stuff that is NONE of the federal government's responsibility or business).

The 'scientific' stuff could bring IN dollars, if they let industries send up experiments and so on and pay for the 'ride' in the process; those industries would make the money back in the private sector when they were successful.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:If they focus on 'strategic' or military stuff, it IS a very legitimate way to spend federal tax dollars (far more legitimate than Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Education, and all the other 'nice' stuff that is NONE of the federal government's responsibility or business).

The 'scientific' stuff could bring IN dollars, if they let industries send up experiments and so on and pay for the 'ride' in the process; those industries would make the money back in the private sector when they were successful.
I can't say for sure, but I'm sure Sky Lab is exactly that, or so I've heard. I DO know the microchip industry is VERY interested in the manufactory of wafers in the advantage of near zero degree C....absolute zero, where electronic magic happens.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As was stated, an end of an era. Madman also mention some tragedy. Both are very true, but when one considers the obstacles over come, and the dangers faced, NASA can be very proud of their accomplishments and safety record. So here's to those who worked tirelessly, and to those who gave there all. We are a much better nation for their deeds and scarifices.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

madman4570 wrote:Having worked on the Space Shuttle Program from almost it's beginning up till I retired (special early out retirement package :wink: a few years ago) I watch the last Shuttle light its final candle.
Most times were fantastic,while also several times were tragic.
So, here is to the last Shuttle voyage headed to the heavens! God's speed/prayer's up for all associated.
I'll join you for that toast.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While I wasn't on the shuttle program per se, way back when (late '70s) I was on the program that made the heat resistant tiles for it. We set up a 'factory' at our plant in Sunnyvale, CA to make them. I was there the day the news folks took that famous first available light picture of a tile glowing bright red, 30 seconds out of the oven, and a technician holding it by the corners with his bare hand!! Later, I worked on the Space Telescope program for a few years and still later, I worked on the Lunar Prospector which discovered water on the moon.

I had 2 pieces of Shuttle tile that I donated to our local Elementary School here about 10 years ago after I stopped using them for classes I taught about NASA's space ventures to 4th and 5th graders so that that future kids could see real pieces of the shuttle. As bureaucratic and cantankerous as NASA was, even though they claimed the spotlight on successes but stayed out of it in failures, there were many, many people I met who truly dedicated their life to space.

Its hard to believe that its over.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks guy's :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I will raise my glass too. Thanks to all who served in the program in the various ways. Our lives have been enriched by your service and the discoveries of that program.

I also agree that the US needs a vision cast before them and a leader to have the fortitude to lay the plan. Our growth of industry and our country is dependent on such a vision.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think it's sad. I don't see any new shuttle program in place. All's I've heard is that we're going to use rusky lifts.

What we need IMHO is to completely revamp the space program - NASA needs to become a central organizing entity that coordinates comercial operations that work on the components needed for the given program.

Why aren't we ready to launch a new fly up, boost to orbit, fly back shuttle? Isn't that the obvious answer?

And why no bold new goal of getting a station established on the moon, men on Mars, etc.? Why no push to find a new propulsion method that's up to the new goals?

I say eliminate all entitlements (and I mean real entitlements - programs where the recipients put nothing in and basically get supported for being lazy or stupid) and re-channel some of the billions into a revitalized space program?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Here, here...to all involved. G-D bless you all (profoundly). Let's go to the stars! 8) What a shame also, that our so-called leaders are so short sighted. Too bad about the American voter electing such morons. We should be establishing new bases on Mars right now...but then, what do I know. I'm just like Y'all...just a lowly Citizen.

I salute Y'all who have been in on the inside....my respects. :wink:

LB
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

A fantastic era for sure. While it never fullfilled the stated aims, the shuttle program gave us much, including stuff we could scarcely imagine.

Will we have another program of perhaps even greater grandeur? Of course we will. We're AMERICANS, it's what we do.

Hats off to the untold thousands of men and women who gave us this great ride.
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here, here, I salute you. Cool program. The space program can't lag or we'll end up playing catch up forever.
Old Law Dawg
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

For awhile I was a guard on it. My next door neighbor was the supervisor on putting the tile on it and I witnessed the 1st landing at edwards AFB.
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

AJMD429 wrote:If they focus on 'strategic' or military stuff, it IS a very legitimate way to spend federal tax dollars (far more legitimate than Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Education, and all the other 'nice' stuff that is NONE of the federal government's responsibility or business).

All of the discoveries don't necessarily come from the experiments. For instance, some of the medical imagery used today is sharper as a result of solving spatial communication problems, some dental appliances are the result of developing the new stuff necessary for parts on the space craft and our commo sats (TV etc) were another result of solving space commo problems. Not everything came from onboard experiments.

Not only are we outsourcing our rides to the Russians (how do you think our defense experiments and other on board security will look (OPSEC and COMSEC) with the Russians looking over our shoulder? Branson (of Virgin Airways fame) is also a major private contractor we are working with . . . where are those dollars going?

How can the employment picture be presented as "rosy" when we just lost another 10K jobs in the space industry?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW I saw the beginning and end of the Apollo missions, and now the Space Shuttle. Boy do I feel OLD.

I remember exactly what I was doing when the first Space Shuttle Tragedy happened.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The first one was towed by my mother in laws house.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was delivering to our store in Titusville one day when one of the stockers walked outside to see how we were coming. Titusville is right across the Indian River from the Cape. I asked the kid, being this close to the Cape do y'all come outside to watch when they're having a launch? He just blew me off and said no not usually. I couldn't believe it that living this close they took no interest in it at all. I said man I have to tell you when they launched Apollo 11 I was right down there on the beach watching that big thing take off and it was awesome. The kid just looked at me with a blank stare. I said you remember Apollo 11? Neil Armstrong? Walking on the moon? One small step for man? All that stuff? Still with a blank look he says, dude, I wasn't even born then, :oops:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

To all who were on the Shuttles, SALUTE! (That includes the Challenger crew, including Christa McAuliffe)
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm DANG sad to see it go, but even more so given that we've not gotten a replacement man-rated ship up and running to replace it. Buying lift from the Soviets? UFB!!! :evil:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Was at Honeysuckle Creek during the Apollo missions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... _Stars.jpg

Cheers Mark
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Godspeed Atlantis!
Separation for the last time--taken live off the TV...and a look at some of your tiles Steve!

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

BlaineG wrote:I surely hope it's being replaced with a new, bolder mission.
I hope you're not holding your breath! :(
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

growing up with the Apollo Moon missions, I'm really disapointed that the space shuttle was as far as we progressed. Even back then, it reminded me of something that Wiley coyote ordered from ACME, Two rockets duct taped to an airplane to chase the Roadrunner. Hope whatever comes next makes more sense. :wink:
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I worked the Shuttle program in Downey, 1987 - 1990. Got to be a real engineer in the stress analysis group. Quite humbling to give the "OK" to some structure, then see it fly.

Cheers,

Carl
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Kinda of an aside, but if any of you haven't seen Hubble at the IMAX, I highly recommend that you do - it should be required viewing for earth citizenship.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

For all involved in our space programs : Thank You and CHEERS an end of an era to say the least.
If I were king when I was in high school in the late 70's - early 80's I would have demanded that a station be set up on the moon as a next step. From there if something went wrong it's not so far that while some risk is allways involved , a relativly quick rescue or dash back home to saftey would be an option. From there testing , experimenting , and much less gravity to fight for further exploration would have been a great thing IMHO .
But since we found the moon was not made of cheese , and there were no cows jumping over it the interest seemed to wane.
Phil