Picked up a Rossi Model 65 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Picked up a Rossi Model 65 SRC

Post by jfg_4 »

Picked up a Rossi today... Essentially their take on a 92. Chambered in 44-40. It is a used one I found locally along with some ammo. It is an earlier model so there is no thumb safety!

Now I need to get a wheel gun to go with it!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Picked up a Rossi Model 65 SRC

Post by J Miller »

Not bad, I like the looks of it.
I've never heard of Kinematics Research ammo. Where is it made, by who if it says and what brass did they use? Just curious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

J Miller wrote:Not bad, I like the looks of it.
I've never heard of Kinematics Research ammo. Where is it made, by who if it says and what brass did they use? Just curious.

Joe

I hadn't heard of the either. The guy that traded in the gun provided the ammo also. It WAS made in Tennesse but looks like the factory was destroyed in January. Ammo was a great buy.. The shop sold it to me for 25$ since I bought the rifle.

I would have preferred an octagonal barrel but th lack of safety and the immediacy of availability won out!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Kinematics Research (Able Ammo?) is (or maybe was) an ammunition manufacturing company in Tennessee, I think. I beleive that their p[lant was either destroyed or heavily damaged in an explosion last winter. Probably could find info about it w/ Google search.

Their ammo has a good reputation in the south. Don't know if they are up and running again or not.

Nice rifle there, jfg_4. I would like to have one myself.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

jfg_4 wrote:
J Miller wrote:Not bad, I like the looks of it.

Joe

I hadn't heard of the either. The guy that traded in the gun provided the ammo also. It WAS made in Tennesse but looks like the factory was destroyed in January. Ammo was a great buy.. The shop sold it to me for 25$ since I bought the rifle.

I would have preferred an octagonal barrel but th lack of safety and the immediacy of availability won out!

I think your Rossi looks pretty good with the round barrel. I have a non handloading friend in Georgia that shoots KR ammunition, seems to be pretty good stuff.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congats!! Nice lookin Rossi. I really like my 44 Mag Rossi.

I did a quick search on Gunbroker - here's a neat Uberti 44-40 that would make a good companion to that rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =234749549

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice looking gun. If you're so inclined, that wood might finish up really well, too.
damienph wrote: Kinematics Research (Able Ammo?) is (or maybe was) an ammunition manufacturing company in Tennessee, I think. I beleive that their plant was either destroyed or heavily damaged in an explosion last winter.
:? Are you SURE you want to use their ammo... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

AJMD429 wrote:Nice looking gun. If you're so inclined, that wood might finish up really well, too.
damienph wrote: Kinematics Research (Able Ammo?) is (or maybe was) an ammunition manufacturing company in Tennessee, I think. I beleive that their plant was either destroyed or heavily damaged in an explosion last winter.
:? Are you SURE you want to use their ammo... :D

Talk to me about finishing up the wood? What would you do to it? I am always looking to tinker but am not well versed in wood finishing.

J
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Congats!! Nice lookin Rossi. I really like my 44 Mag Rossi.

I did a quick search on Gunbroker - here's a neat Uberti 44-40 that would make a good companion to that rifle: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =234749549

Oooooooo... That is on my watch list.. I have another bid out on something else. If it doesn't pan out I may have to do this one.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes, very nice gun. My first Rossi was a new early Interarms "65" SRC .44-40 just like yours. POA right on @ 100. Sold it to a friend at a low cash time, but sure did enjoy my years with it. All my Rossis are non-safety--either early (80s) Interarms or EMF. N'er a problem with any. Great guns.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jfg_4 wrote:Talk to me about finishing up the wood? What would you do to it? I am always looking to tinker but am not well versed in wood finishing.
Might be a good topic for you to post a new 'thread' on seeking advice - I'm pretty much a 'try stuff and see if it works' guy with regards to wood finishing, and I've had more failures than successes. I did see a link on this forum that led to a link somewhere about refinishing a Henry rifle that was cool; I'll post that if I can locate it.

Meanwhile, try posting it as a new thread and see what you come up with. I'll read it along with you...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

First rule of refinishing a stock on a lever gun - don't remove any wood around the tang. None. Just strip the finish chemically = no sanding there or anywhere the wood meets the metal.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice rifle. I had a 65 Rossi .45 Colt. It wore the nicest wood I have seen on a Rossi and it handled very well every bullet I tried. It now lives with a forum member. Have Fun, 1886.
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

I got to take her out to put a few rounds down range. I am stuck using an indoor range most of the time. It is okay but it limits the distance I can shoot.

Now normally when I go to just try out a weapon I put 10-20 rounds down the pipe. This is because of limited time and I am cheap when it comes to ammo.

I couldnt stop! I went through a 50 rnd box before I could turn around! The action was slick and fast and this thing put the rounds right where I aimed(yeah I know they are supposed to do that but I get a big grin when I hit bullseye on the first round out of a new gun) + the holes were big enough for me to see without bringing the target back in.

I think this is the most fun I have had in a while. I really wanted to crank a bunch out rapid fire but I was afraid of loosing my brass. This guy absolutely slings it! I did loose 2 cases beyond the line.

I picked up 3 more boxes of 44-40 at the gunshow this weekend. I am gonna have to start stock piling the stuff cause this is my new favorite baby!

I ordered a Uberti Cattleman SAA this weekend along with bullet molds. I need to get a sizing die then I should be set for a while.... maybe!
jfg_4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jfg_4 »

Oh yeah... the first 8 rounds down range had the holes touching on the paper!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sounds like you had a ball! Nice looking older Rossi - I've got one just like it except in .45 Colt.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright