Walk About Levergun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Walk About Levergun?

Post by rjohns94 »

El Chivo's post got me thinking, Which levergun would you take for a Walk About?? .22? pistol Caliber?, 30-30, 35 rem? Trapper? Carbine? Rifle? Lets say day hike up to week long stay - out just looking, use is a camp gun, bag some game, self protection.. you know the rules, Keep it leverguns :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Walk About Levergun?

Post by jkbrea »

For where I normally go my Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 is plenty. I really like this little rifle. I made a gun rack for it to put in my fifth wheel trailer for camping.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All considered probably a Marlin 1894C.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I think the 357 Marlin would be the "one".Light,short,and I could take plinker up to
heavy loads.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

1st choice Henry 22 mag 2nd Puma 45 Colt 16" 3rd Puma 357 Mag 20" Flop numbers 1 and 2 if expecting black bears or mtn lions on a regular basis
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

My Marlin 1894 CB-L, octagon barrel cut to 16" , set up for Cowboy .45 Special, holds ten+one rounds. I'd load it with 230 XTPs at 1400 fps.
Certified gun nut
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

20" .357 with standard 158gr commercial or home brew and a few 180s.

In a pinch, the 18.5" 1895 with a substantial variety of loads from round ball to whompum.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I would take the 357 or 44.....rifle and revolver..
most likely the 44 carbine...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

No contest, Henry .22 Mag.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Rusty wrote:No contest, Henry .22 Mag.
+1
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I agree with the .357 guys, but don't have one, so I have to make do with the Marlin 1894SS.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Either an 1894C in .357Mag or a Trapper in .30-30Win.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

92 trapper in .357, or marlin mountie .22 lr.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Most likely a .22 LR would figure in, due to low cost, low noise, fun, and flexibility - so either a Ruger 96 in .22 LR, or if I had a .22 LR handgun with me, a Marlin 1894 - .357 Mag most likely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I tote a Marlin 39 Mountie witha 4x Nikon scope and either a Ruger GP100 4" .357 or a Super Blackhawk 5" .44 Mag.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

My Trapper in 44Mag :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'd like a Volcanic.

Owen
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Henry 001 carbine .22 LR with a good receiver sight.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Of coarse I'm either gonna have my either .32M or .357 Ruger on the hip so I'm gonna go with a .22lr of some flavor. Unfortunatly (maybe?), I don't have and have never owned a .22 levergun so it's hard for me to narrow it down to one. But since I like and prefer a 10/22 if I had to pick a lever gun my vote goes to the 96/22.

LK

Edited to add: Forgot about the one and only .22 levergun I do have experience with, the Browning BL22 I bought for Dad 10 or 12 years ago. I can say that it would definetly be in the running for top pick too.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I use my 1895G for my walk around levergun.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

IF I'm just out walking about my gun of choice will be one of these too:
IJ and Ruger.JPG
As much as I like shooting my leverguns I don't like carrying them. Especially the Trapper as it's balance is way butt heavy and that makes it awkward.
If I've got a use for one, and depending on the use, it will most likely be 94 Win in 30-30, 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt or Win 9422 in .22LR.
But to just go walking about I want my hands free, so I carry a short gun.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Since i got the 1895 CB 45-70 it`s been my walkin gun but the Rossi 44 mag is a second choice.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

IF I'm just out walking about my gun of choice will be one of these too:
IJ and Ruger.JPG
As much as I like shooting my leverguns I don't like carrying them. Especially the Trapper as it's balance is way butt heavy and that makes it awkward.
If I've got a use for one, and depending on the use, it will most likely be 94 Win in 30-30, 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt or Win 9422 in .22LR.
But to just go walking about I want my hands free, so I carry a short gun.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

On all walkabouts I carry a big bore pistol so the rifle could be something a little smaller. My choice or choices would be my Browning 53 in 32-20 or my Uberti '73 in 38-40. The Browning would be a whole lot easier to carry, but the '73 would handle things a bit bigger and it has a longer sight radius for the longer shots.
Old Law Dawg
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

From what I own, any of the 16" Levers look good. If bears could be a problem, then a big bore.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Usually it's my 1895 LTD-III/ .45-70 loaded with hard cast 405s and a some light 350 gr. lead plinking loads.
Or, my 94P / 44 mag.
Though I think the new 336D/ 35 Remington may shoot to the top of the list. I really like this carbine.
Most of my hiking/ wandering/ camp guns are Trapper size.
Along with a .22 or .38/.357 revolver ( or a 1911).

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This one:

Light, comfortable to carry, and good fer what I might encounter in TX. In the best all-around levergun chambering"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I am on constant 'walkabouts' with short times at home. Always on some sort of hike in the mountains and forests and always have a 'walkabout' gun with me. The last few years it has been a 20" Marlin Cowboy in .44 with a William target receiver sight. This particular model I have sighted in for a 255gr SWC at 1250fps which handles everything I need it to outside of elk hunting season. It has fed me more than once when I was away from the homestead.

Edited to mention that an extra load I like to pack a pocket full of is a 44 Russian case with the same 255gr SWC and 4.5 to 5grs of Unique. Wonderfully quiet and superbly accurate, hitting to the same POI out to about 60 yards. I've shot the heads off of more than one grouse with the others not knowing what happened until they suffered the same fate :o Unfortunately none of my .44 rifles will feed them from the tube so I have to feed them in to the chamber one at a time.

2x22
Last edited by 2X22 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I would grab my Henry 22. Light, and lots of ammo. Second choice would be my Rossi 92 Carbine in 45 LC. It has poured rain for most of May and June up here, looks like summer might have come yesterday, time to grab some bug dope and head outdoors.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I'd probably grab my .357 94AE Trapper, light and easy to carry, and I have a large variety of ammo for it from .360 ball cat-sneeze, and shot loads up to 180 grain pig poppers. I have a "Junior" Saddle Ring Sling too for easy hipside carry. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If u allowed a handgun, then a 22lr lever with a Glock 27- 40 S&W in a shoulder holster 8)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sorta depends on where I'm going. In my most visited areas in the high desert, I'd take my Centenial Model 39. Move up slope into areas that have problems with cats and coyotes, Marlin 336SS. Places with large toothy critters that think of me as food, Marlin GS. Of course, it could also be a 9422, or 94 for the first two locals. It would depend on whether it felt like a Marlin or a Winchester day.

Dang, just too may choices. Now you've gone and done it. I think I'll go open the safe and daydream a bit.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I think my Marlin in .357 would do well.

Now the big question: Can we carry them while hiking the Appalachian trail?
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

TravisM wrote:I think my Marlin in .357 would do well.

Dunno, but you sure can on the Colombia Crest trail!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

Cool. I'll add that to my "walking" list. Thanks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've carried the 94 in 30-30 some in winter, and where bears didnt hang out, but all the rules are out the window on where bears hang out any more. In lever guns I now stay with the 86 carbine, the 71, and an AE 307 a bit recently that's about to get a barrel transplant to 356 cal, tho in reality, it isn't weighing much less than the 86 carbine. May end up doing a barrel transplant on the 86 rifle into a 348 short light rifle as a carry gun.

I also carry bolt guns in '06, 35 Whelen, 338 and 375 H&H but that wasnt the object of this thread.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:All considered probably a Marlin 1894C.
+1 The "do everything" round and rifle! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TravisM wrote:Now the big question: Can we carry them while hiking the Appalachian trail?
When I'd first started practice, one of my patients and her college roomate decided to hike on the Appalachian Trail during the summer, figuring they'd be ok since they were together, and had 'pepper spray', but of course being naive young kids, didn't sleep in shifts, so both wound up sexually assaulted by four or five guys, the other girl so severely injured she required hospitalization due to head injuries resulting in serious neurologic damage.

When I asked my patient if she'd considered having a handgun along, she said it was because whoever they checked with said 'guns were strictly prohibited'. I don't know what 'guns' (long or hand), or if they checked with state, local or federal 'authorities'.

Gun laws are dangerous, counterproductive, and immoral (like all other restraints on freedom). :evil:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

TravisM wrote:I think my Marlin in .357 would do well.

My BIL did the Appalachian trail 8 years ago. At the time, there were places carrying a handgun was allowed, others that it wasn't. Solution, if no one sees it, you obviously don't have it. :mrgreen:

But you are smart to consider firearms. Chances of four legged critter problems are relatively minor. It's a heavily traveld trail and most 4 legged critters have figured out how to deal with hikers. Unfortunately, whenever you are in close proximity to the various trail jump offs, problems with the two legged critters are very, very possible. You won't see it mentioned, in the trail guide books, but hikers are robbed and otherwise assaulted every year. The two legged critters don't like venturing too far into the woods, so, as I said, it's usually near the jump offs.

On the other hand, assaults of one type or another from another hiker have and will continue to happen. Being away from "civilization" does bring out the best and worst in some folks.

By the way, the trail is on my list of things to do during my first year of retirement. That is if the darned economy doesn't get any worse.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2X22 wrote:Edited to mention that an extra load I like to pack a pocket full of is a 44 Russian case with the same 255gr SWC and 4.5 to 5grs of Unique. Wonderfully quiet and superbly accurate, hitting to the same POI out to about 60 yards. I've shot the heads off of more than one grouse with the others not knowing what happened until they suffered the same fate :o Unfortunately none of my .44 rifles will feed them from the tube so I have to feed them in to the chamber one at a time.
What if you worked up the same load in a .44 Special case? The longer overall length would enlarge combustion chamber a bit, so you'd need a tiny bit more powder most likely, but you might allow them to feed.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Choosing from what I own, it would be my Model 94 30-30 Trapper; second would be my Marlin 444P.
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

When I'm going to be just kicking around in the woods I'll have the Winchester 94M in .44 Rem Mag slung over my shoulder. :)
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

HEY! Where's all the PICTURES? :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Honestly, while my preferred walkabout IS my Rossi, in my close-at-hand walkabout area it really comes down to my 1858 Rem Clone and a Pellet Gun.... because my "walking" area is "Muzzleloader/Shotgun only" (though a 9410 or 1887 would be a good compromise... :twisted: )
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

AJMD429 wrote:What if you worked up the same load in a .44 Special case? The longer overall length would enlarge combustion chamber a bit, so you'd need a tiny bit more powder most likely, but you might allow them to feed.
I actually shoot 3 different loads in this particular rifle, all hitting to the point of aim, all using the same 255gr PB SWC. 10grs of Unique with the 44 mag case gives me 1425fps. 7 1/2grs in a .44 special case gives me 1250fps and the .44 Russian load gives me about 800fps. Out to 50-60 yards they hit so close to the same point of aim as to not be a worry. That way I can slip whatever load is needed to fit the situation!

2x22
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Make mine a Marlin 1894 Cowboy(44 Mag) with some nice 300gr loads and some shot shell loads :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ironwood wrote:When I'm going to be just kicking around in the woods I'll have the Winchester 94M in .44 Rem Mag slung over my shoulder. :)

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Oh yeah? I was born in the Plywoods of Central Suburbia merely a moderate time ago... :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

A walkabout rifle here in good ol Central Illinois would sure be interesting with our laws but I'll leave that discussion for another time. We have no bears of the 4 legged type. No wild hogs, but if you go to my favorite pizza joint you might argue that. If I was doing a walkabout in Central or Southern Illinois I'd take along by 1894CSS. I can kill small critters to eat or big two legged critters who may mean me harm. Around these parts I would never feel undergunned with a 357 lever for a handy rifle that's always around for hunting and protection. If I was in areas where bigger 4 legged critters were about I'd go with my 1894SS. P.S. This is a fun discussion!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hiking the AT is never done by me without a handgun in my pack within easy reach. I did a section hike three weeks ago of only 10 miles and I didn't take a pack. My NAA .22mag was in my shorts pocket. The next week, a 20 mile section hike had my S&W .44mag Trail boss in my pack, which has an easy access compartment made for a handgun.

I asked this question specifically about leverguns because of their handiness. For a general walk about longarm, I can't imagine a better one than a pistol caliber trapper, sling swivels and in stainless, with a receiver sight. a 30-30 with varied loads could do so also. Mostly on my walk abouts, I carry my Trail Boss in .44mag. But on the most special walk abouts, its my .54 Flintlock or my longbow and quiver.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

old marlin 336A in 35 remington. :D