B25 and B17 over Arizona

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

B25 and B17 over Arizona

Post by soon 2 retire »

This is a cool video of two old war birds. I hope you haven't seen it.

http://vimeo.com/18135369

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: B25 and B17 over Arizona

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Neat to see that B17 flying through the Arizona mountains.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've done several walk throughs of the Sentimental Journey over the years. She's my favorite B-17.
Some day I want to take a flight in her. After I get rid of this blubber.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cool flick---A buddy of mine took a ride in one of those two years age---flying out of the Wilmington, de. airport. I believe it was him , his wife and several other of their friends. Cost them $400 a piece for about a 30 minute ride. A ride in a P-51 Mustang was $800 and thats his next planned outing.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe may be able to confirm this, but if you hang around Falcon field on the weekends, you will see those and more.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mescalero,
You really have to check their schedule....many of the aircraft are on tour during the Summer. I was there with my boy a few years ago in the summer and they were almost all gone.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I was buzzed by a low flying B17 while driving on the new 202.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very cool
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Awesome! Shame there is no sound of those sweet radial engines though.

I saw Sentimental Journey in '97 over there with the family, I was twelve. Sat in Fifi the B-29 too, so cool for a 12 year old!

It was called the confederate Airforce then, in Midland Texas

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I first saw the Sentimental Journey at Dear Valley Air Port in north Phoenix many many summers ago. She was still un-restored having just been retired from being a slurry bomber. Two or three walk throughs since and she always looks better.

Every time I was in Mesa I'd try to swing by the Falcon Field. I never saw Sentimental Journey on the ground. She was always off on tour somewhere.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

In the mid to late 1980's Falcon Field received the new control tower you see in the pix. The Company I worked for at the time got the contract to install the Communication Systems & Security in the new Tower.

One Morning early, I met with the other Contractors on top of the Tower before the Cab was installed.
At the end of the Run-way we heard a plane reving for take-off. The General Contractor in Charge of the Project told us it was General Chuck Yeager doing a flight check on a P-51.

I had a birds eye view as he lifted off the run way, at the end of the run way he stood the P-51 on it's tail and barrel rolled out of sight.

What a thrill that day was for me.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

J Miller wrote:I first saw the Sentimental Journey at Dear Valley Air Port in north Phoenix many many summers ago. She was still un-restored having just been retired from being a slurry bomber. Two or three walk throughs since and she always looks better.

Every time I was in Mesa I'd try to swing by the Falcon Field. I never saw Sentimental Journey on the ground. She was always off on tour somewhere.

Joe

She was a hard looking plane back in the mid 70's at Falcon Field...used hard and tired. I would walk around it as a wee spud and fly a good number of missions in my mind....still smell the grease. There was a B-25 right next to it, some Super Connies used for slurry bombing(one of which crashed there), some old Sikorsky's and a bunch of crop dusters on that end of the field. Who knows, we may have walked past each other at some point Joe.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I got to go aboard the Sentimental Journey in 1977, while in high school. One of my classmates, who ultimately became a commercial pilot, got to fly it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool, thanks for sharing.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

A little over a year ago I drove over to the CAF museum at Falcon Field for the first time in a decade, on the off chance I'd be able to catch Sentimental Journey. Failing thatI'd still enjoy the planes they had there (they were starting up a restored Navy WWII trainer for a ride for one thing). I hadn't checked ahead, so it was all on a lark. Sure enough, I was in luck. Just as I drove in, I barely caught her coming in, taxiing and coming into the CAF museum area. She was not taking visitors that day, but was just coming in from a show in California for a quick check and refuel before taking off again eastbound to go to another show. So, only got a 100 ft viewing (and hearing!) for twenty minutes or so - but what a thrill...and what timing! I think my late father guided her in just for me that day!
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Anything that flies is great to watch.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Amazing the way the video was shot, almost looked like one of those computer generated animations. Thanks for the link!
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901