Smokless loads for my 50-95??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Smokless loads for my 50-95??

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have been reading some old threads on a couple of forums about smokeless loads in the 1876 50-95. I have one of the Cimmeron 50-95's and I want to load 300 or 350 gr cast/smokless in it. When I bought the gun I got 5 boxes of ten-x smokless loads and they have shot fine so thats what I want to reload. I shoot BP in my sharps but am not interested at all in shooting it in the 1876. I would like to stay away from 4198 if possible because of the low volume of powder used. Has anyone got any data with AA 5744 , Trailboss or any other powders that use more volume than 4198.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Smokless loads for my 50-95??

Post by Griff »

Contact Accurate Powder @ http://www.accuratepowder.com/contact-us/ and ask them for some starting loads. They've been real helpful for me in the past with 5744 data.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

Thanks Griff
Now I just have to try to find some more of the 5744 powder. I am about out and cant find anyone in my area that carrys any accuratearms powder. They all have 4198 and trailboss. I am going by Cabelas in Dallas Thursday so I will check there
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

C.H.,
I have extensive use with 5744, going through probably 10-12 pounds of year. Just be careful as its fairly easy to double charge.

Just because you can't find it locally does not mean you can't get it. Money talks :wink: Tell your dealer to order you some even if you have to buy a case of it. I special order and buy 2 eight pounders at a time and it usually runs $300 plus or about the same cost of a cheap rifle. :wink:

Like Griff says, data is available through A.A. -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I may just have to try to work up a powder order. I try to get 3 or 4 friends to order with me so it will water the shipping down.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Have you been to the CAS City 1876 forum?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

IMR 4198 has a slower burn rate than 5744, so you will end up actually using less powder. The advantage, however, of 5744 is that it is less position sensitive than 4198.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you're going to be in the DFW area, on the opposite side of the Metroplex from Cabela's is Southwest Ammo Supply, great folks, good prices (usually), and a good selection. The owners are also Rucker Bullet Co., and carry a LOT of cast bullets... selection in some sizes is clearly smaller than some, but... I've found them good to work with... usually have 5744.

Certainly worthy of a phone call.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I wish I had time to go over the that store. I have shot thousands of Rucker cast bullets over the years. I use to buy them at the Gun shows in Shreveport La. We have been trapped at the hospital for 2 month here in Dallas. My 12 year old son has been recovering from heart surgery and a stroke. He gets out tomorrow!! They might have some 5744 at Gander Mtn. in texarkana. Thats will be on the way home.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm glad to hear that your son is better and you will be able to take him home. Best wishes and prayers for all!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Prayers for your son. That's a tough one.
Old Law Dawg